Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ratoutofhell

Posted Thu Apr 10th, 2008 3:05pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
Gah. I failed my bloody driving test this morning - for the second time - by stuffing up a manoeuvre I've done countless times in the past and had no problem with. The rest of the test was, naturally, fine. If I hadn't been a complete arse in the first few minutes I'd now be a bloody woman driver instead of STILL being a bloody learner. And it's all my own fault.

And I promised myself 4 hours ago that I wasn't going to dwell on it, and have just spent the last 4 hours doing precisely that. I hate myself. I'm useless.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

karen m

Posted Thu Apr 10th, 2008 7:29pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
you're not useless! i fluffed my est, my manouvres were rubbish and i could just tell the examiner was unimpressed. admittedly i did pass but mainly because my examiner fancied my instructor! i waited until he ad signed it all then told him he didn't have a chance with her lol.

point is, i'd rather have passed on my own merit, you will get there and it'll feel even better. i had to have loads of lessons before i even attempted my test just make sure you rebook soon as and don't let it deter you

j9r

Posted Thu Apr 10th, 2008 7:48pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
I failed mine the first time because I was too far from the curb when parallel parking. I wasn't in the street so what was the problem. Been driving 28 years and still hate parking......You will succeed in the end.....

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Apr 10th, 2008 7:52pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
Probably just a bout of test nerves, hon. Don't beat yourself up!

joan

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 10:24am Post subject: I'm such an idiot
I failed twice, and passed third go. One of my sons failed three times and passed fourth go. It's just nerves. On my first test I was shakng so much I couldn't get the key in the ignition!

Keep at it! I was looking at my son's driving licence the other day, and on his photo he's grinning from ear to ear - the sheer delight of managing it at last was so obvious.

Help

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 10:34am Post subject: I'm such an idiot
I have had one driving lesson and I got so annoyed with the stupid instructed I stopped half way through the lesson and walked home, what an eeeegit!

joan

Posted Sat Apr 12th, 2008 2:22pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
I did that to my husband once. I got out of the car at a busy intersection because he was giving me a hard time (mainly because I was giving the gearbox a hard time). I got out, stood by the car, and shouted abuse at him for being rude. A truck driver behind us cheered me on (stirrer!). Then I flounced across the road and refused to get back it.

High drama on Queen Street!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Apr 12th, 2008 3:04pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
I did that to my husband once. I got out of the car at a busy intersection because he was giving me a hard time (mainly because I was giving the gearbox a hard time). I got out, stood by the car, and shouted abuse at him for being rude. A truck driver behind us cheered me on (stirrer!). Then I flounced across the road and refused to get back it.

Go Joan! Don't take it in silence! Porbably wouldn't have been good to have kept it bottled up while you're driving. I hope I never end up in a situation where I'll want to get out of the car because of my family. It's something I've worried about. I've never drove with them before and worry about getting criticised too much.

It's for the best Help. You need an instructor who is going to help you learn not drive you crazy. You don't want someone who is overly critical or shouts at you. I've been lucky, my instructor is always calm and that has helped me feel more confident then I probably would've been with someone who freaks out whenever you make a mistake.

Assuming direct control...

Shyamz

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 6:36pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
Well you got farther than I did, at 17 I kept getting angry and flicking the V's at impatient beeping road users and had to stop taking lessons before it all got out of hand.

At least you got as far as the test, so there is hope.

Another story to remember is that of the delightful Mr James May, who amazingly failed his first driving test because he left his indicator on the whole time.

Even the most excellent drivers screw up sometimes, so it doesn't mean you're rubbish.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 1:58pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
Do any of you mind if I get a little provocative?

Perhaps you fail a test because you aren't emotionaly ready yet? This isn't a dig, it's just that driving safely is such a great responsibility that it can bear down on you and affect what you're doing. That shows you do have the correct attitude to driving, and will probably succeed once you have accustomed yourself to the task.

As for those who get angry at instructors, why exactly? They are all trained extensively, to the same standard, whereever you are in Britain. Admittedly, individuals vary, we all do, but for an instructor to make a pupil angry is so rare, I would ask again, is the pupil ready mentally to drive?

I sincerely mean no offence, but we are talking here about the control of large lumps of metal absolutely overflowing with kinetic energy, so I ask all of you to consider your actions from as dispassionate a point of view as possible.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Red Raven

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 2:27pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
If it makes you feel any better...I almost failed mine the first time too cause I made a 3-point turn in 7 turns. I felt pretty stupid for it, but in my defence I was driving a station wagon that seemed like it was 20-foot long. :-//

Shyamz

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 4:11pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
Do any of you mind if I get a little provocative?

Perhaps you fail a test because you aren't emotionaly ready yet? This isn't a dig, it's just that driving safely is such a great responsibility that it can bear down on you and affect what you're doing. That shows you do have the correct attitude to driving, and will probably succeed once you have accustomed yourself to the task.

As for those who get angry at instructors, why exactly? They are all trained extensively, to the same standard, whereever you are in Britain. Admittedly, individuals vary, we all do, but for an instructor to make a pupil angry is so rare, I would ask again, is the pupil ready mentally to drive?

As someone who can view unbiasedly the points of view of learners (as she knows many people who've taken lessons and tests, but has only had lessons herself years ago) It's clear to me from their experiences that instructors are no different than teachers and doctors.

In other words, there are plenty who are good, but others who no matter how much "book learning" they know about cars, just aren't good with people, or with passing that information on. In the same way that many doctors are intelligent and experienced, but have absolutely no "bedside manner".

And does anyone realy believe that ALL instructors are up to the same standard of training, particularly in a time when anyone with a clean license can apply to train and then be given a car to teach in? (turn on the TV and there are a worryingly high number of schools offering this).
Would you go to Red to learn to drive?...I know I wouldn't.
And it clearly isn't that rare for people to feel angry or frustrated at their instructors...this reminds me of my mum's attitude to authority, in other words "these people are clever and trained and therefore never wrong".
They are people just like anyone else, and therefore you are just as likely to have a bad experience with one of them as you are with people from any walk of life.

It's quite common for people to fail a test due to not performing a manoeuvre
correctly that they've always been able to do...and usually it's because there is a lot more to think about in a test if you are going to pass. In a lesson you are under no pressure to do every little thing right (if you have a good teacher that is), as you can always go back and try again.
It's the same with exams. Some people will never be emotionaly ready for the pressure of an exam situation, no matter how much work they've done or how much preperation time they've had...but it still must be done. And once it's over, they manage very well.

Shyamz

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 4:19pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot

Perhaps this is what Maxx was refering to when he mentioned getting angry at your instructor!

Sadly, there's bad news for you here.

It's never a good idea to be taught by a friend or family member. They are usually very worried about damage been done to the car, or they don't realise the level of patience needed to teach something like driving, which requires a lot of concentration.

It's cheaper, but less sucsessfull in the long run.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 4:27pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
As someone who can view unbiasedly the points of view of learners (as she knows many people who've taken lessons and tests, but has only had lessons herself years ago) It's clear to me from their experiences that instructors are no different than teachers and doctors.

In other words, there are plenty who are good, but others who no matter how much "book learning" they know about cars, just aren't good with people, or with passing that information on. In the same way that many doctors are intelligent and experienced, but have absolutely no "bedside manner".

And does anyone realy believe that ALL instructors are up to the same standard of training, particularly in a time when anyone with a clean license can apply to train and then be given a car to teach in? (turn on the TV and there are a worryingly high number of schools offering this).
Would you go to Red to learn to drive?...I know I wouldn't.
And it clearly isn't that rare for people to feel angry or frustrated at their instructors...this reminds me of my mum's attitude to authority, in other words "these people are clever and trained and therefore never wrong".
They are people just like anyone else, and therefore you are just as likely to have a bad experience with one of them as you are with people from any walk of life.

It's quite common for people to fail a test due to not performing a manoeuvre
correctly that they've always been able to do...and usually it's because there is a lot more to think about in a test if you are going to pass. In a lesson you are under no pressure to do every little thing right (if you have a good teacher that is), as you can always go back and try again.
It's the same with exams. Some people will never be emotionaly ready for the pressure of an exam situation, no matter how much work they've done or how much preperation time they've had...but it still must be done. And once it's over, they manage very well.

These are all excellent points Shyamz. Of course not all instructors are the same standard or are good instructors. They have to be re-assessed themselves on a regular basis. Even my instructor says not all instructors are good at their jobs. He knew one guy who couldn't talk to people properly and just shouted at them and ended up with no customers in the end and had to look for a new job. Different instructors are bound to have different attitudes and different styles despite their training it's the same with teachers in schools and colleges. My instructor is always explaining to me the ways he teaches differently to BSM instructors for example. He says they waste a lot of time talking and talking and less on driving so you end up spending more money.

Assuming direct control...

ratoutofhell

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 9:33pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
Interesting point about BSM instructors there, Amyl. I've actually been learning with BSM and that is the kind of thing my instructor says about non-BSM schools - how you can see the cars parked up for 20-30 minutes without going anywhere. Maybe it's a regional thing? I must have been relatively lucky with my instructors as that's never happened to me. My current instructor has been great, and very encouraging - I had reached a point where I thought I'd never get the hang of any of it, and was starting to despair. Mind you, he's quite rude about a lot of the local BSM people too, as well as other schools Lessons can be very entertaining.

Maxx, I think you may be right to some degree. There has always been a big part of me that doesn't want to drive - it has become a necessity, especially for work, and I have also got to the stage of having spent so much money that I have to see it through. Basically I'm a good driver, I just have a tendency to lose it sometimes but then this is partly what the test is about.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy