Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Lexie

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 10:56pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
I have to say I really do love my boyfriend but he is the worst driver. As he is from Sardinia, i'm thinking of taking my test over there, because if he can pass, anyone can. I wouldn't mind if i could even stereotype him as an erratic Italian driver, but i couldn't give him such a passionate title, he's just bad. X-D

Shyamz

Posted Sun Apr 27th, 2008 4:00pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
A piece of research mentioned on an old Top Gear episode claimed that scientists had discovered that men would drive faster if they heard masculine words, like "beard" or, er...something, and would slow down if they heard feminine words, like "Pink" (christ!) or "lipstick" (I mean honestly!).

What the research failed to mention was if the reverse was true for women...would I for example, slow down if someone said "spanners" to me?...I doubt it. I'd probably just tell them to shut up and get in the back and stop annoying me.

Did anyone else hear about that? It all sounds like bumf to me.

(Having said that, I reckon I could find a much more effective way of getting Captain Slow to speed up, but that's beside the point).

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Apr 27th, 2008 7:33pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
A piece of research mentioned on an old Top Gear episode claimed that scientists had discovered that men would drive faster if they heard masculine words, like "beard" or, er...something, and would slow down if they heard feminine words, like "Pink" (christ!) or "lipstick" (I mean honestly!).

What the research failed to mention was if the reverse was true for women...would I for example, slow down if someone said "spanners" to me?...I doubt it. I'd probably just tell them to shut up and get in the back and stop annoying me.

Did anyone else hear about that? It all sounds like bumf to me.

(Having said that, I reckon I could find a much more effective way of getting Captain Slow to speed up, but that's beside the point).

I have a feeling it's just rubbish. Gender difference studies often are of that ilk. Like ones that say what colours we're supposedly most attracted to and why.

Assuming direct control...

Shyamz

Posted Sat Jun 7th, 2008 2:54am Post subject: I'm such an idiot
Exactly, doesn't explain the colourblind does it? Ha!

Zefla

Posted Sat Jun 7th, 2008 12:34pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
I've solved this problem. I've cunningly decided not to learn to drive. My reasoning being that I'm not very stable or graceful on two feet...if I get in a car and drive it I'll probably end up hitting a lamppost or something daft and I'll also be going a hell of a lot faster which seems more dangerous. Best left alone I think.

masquerade

Posted Sat Jun 7th, 2008 12:58pm Post subject: I'm such an idiot
I failed my test the first time, despite the fact that I was as ready as I could be for it, simply because of nerves. I absolutely hate having somebody watching my every move, it really puts me off!

I had the same problem when, having failed the test, mum decided to put me on the insurance for her car so I could get some extra practise in. Despite the fact that I could drive fine with my instructor, who is lovely and very laid-back, as soon as I got into the car with my mother I started messing up every few seconds, stalling, forgetting to check mirrors, missing turnings etc. She wouldn't believe me that I could drive perfectly well with my instructor but I shower her in the end when I booked my second test about a month later and passed easily. It's honestly just a case of nerves.