Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Oct 13th, 2013 5:22pm Post subject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-PLEASE READ

Hello Everyone-

Stephen and Andrew have decided that the time has come to move away from the forum now that Twitter has superseded the social networking offering that the forum once did. They "realise that the forum community means alot to many. However, in recent years, so many of you have moved to other social circles, the work involved in maintaining the forum versus the number of users, is quite inefficient. We are incredibly grateful to Toby for his steady hand and pragmatic maturity in dealing with many of the forums issues. We want you to know that we have thought about this for well over two years and this is not a decision that we've taken lightly. We will be closing the forum when you've said all your goodbyes to each other and moved on- Andrew Sampson"

I do not have a specific date, but feel free to PM me with any questions-Toby

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Oct 13th, 2013 7:05pm Post subject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-PLEASE READ

I think the phrase rhymes with "clucking bell".

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Desideria

Posted Tue Oct 15th, 2013 1:09pm Post subject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-PLEASE READ

I hope FAD can be saved somewhere. It would be a shame to see that one go.

All in all this is very sad.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

gemini

Posted Wed Oct 16th, 2013 4:47pm Post subject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-PLEASE READ

For several years F-A-D used to be the first "place" for me to come to every time I went online. It was so sad to see it become more and more deserted and now it's the end for the forum in general. But it's simply true that Twitter, Tumblr and the like are the social networks of the moment and forums seem to be quite outdated. Well, we had a great time in here, right?
There ought to be something like an online museum to preserve all the webpages worth preserving and remembering regardless if they are still in use or not.....and F-A-D should be a part of it because something that meant so much to such a variety of people shouldn't be forgotten....

joan

Posted Fri Oct 25th, 2013 7:57am Post subject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-PLEASE READ

Oh well, the horrible spam has already ruined the forum for me, so goodbye all.

I still talk on Yorkshire Expats Forum and Global Chatters, but I really loved this forum until it got buried in spam. What a dreadful way to die, eh?

PS
I'm old enough to remember what the original spam was - spiced ham - a post war processed meat that was everywhere. and was the most boring food on the planet.

Anthony Miller

Posted Tue Feb 25th, 2014 1:46pm Post subject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-PLEASE READ

Thanks for the 21 free hits Mr Fry!

Erm ... perhaps it just needs a bit more rationalisation? There seem an awful lot of sections and sub forums... it would be a shame for it to die completely. Then again everything has its time...

http://www.pearshapedcomedy.com

yasmin anjum

Posted Thu Mar 20th, 2014 2:57pm Post subject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-PLEASE READ

Stephen, Andrew & Toby

I know it would be a shame to lose this forum but everytime I've come here in the past it's so difficult to read the proper posts because of all the stupid spamming that has been going on for a long time, such as multiple adverts for games & kitchen units on several new threads.

Perhaps the forum can be archived but still be available to view only ( less all the spam rubbish) unless this is too difficult or costly to do.

Anyway as I'm sure that many readers are already in other social networking sites it's not really goodbye - just see you later somewhere else ( or rather speak later )....

yasmin
Never Let Go
in Memory of Charlie Rocket - a victim of suicide
http://www.myspace.com/132501307

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2014 10:51am Post subject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-PLEASE READ

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that the time has come to shut down the forum. We will be retaining an archive copy of it but posts won't be possible.

I know it's been a great space for many since 2006 but I hope you've found other places to hang out and discuss Stephen's works.

Best wishes and thank you for hanging around so long especially with the annoying spam.

Andrew