Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Daithi

Posted Wed Jun 3rd, 2009 1:18pm Post subject: Industrial Squid Fishing Fleet visible from Space!!!
I saw a conservation program last night in Ireland on RTE2.

The program was about conservation in Patagonia, it emphasised the vital importance of squid and other marine life to the survival of several ecosystems in the region both at sea and on land.

I was utterly aghast when the program used an image taken from space to emphasise the scale of industrial fishing in the area. The image was taken at night and showed the whole of South America. It clearly showed the city lights of Rio de Janeiro which were tiny and insignificant by comparison to the lights generated by the offshore industrial fishing fleet.

The fleet stretched out down the entire Atlantic coastline of the southern half of the South American continent in a virtually unbroken band hundreds of kilometres wide! There must have been thousands and thousands of huge vessels generating that amount of light, just imagine how many millions of tons of marine life they were slaughtering in just one night.

The program might have been a few years old, I’m not sure. Does anyone know if this titanic scale industrial fishing is still happening? Is anyone trying to stop this madness?

Rosie Horne

Posted Fri Jun 5th, 2009 9:35pm Post subject: Industrial Squid Fishing Fleet visible from Space!!!
I never knew this sort of thing happens in that kind of scale. It makes me sick just thinking about it.
I'll be interested to know if it still hapens too, as I really dislike slaughter of any kind - to humans and animals - never mind mass slaughter.
The thing I would like to seeis The End of the Line, which shows this kind of thing.