Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Derek Holding-Willey

Posted Sat Aug 15th, 2009 6:25pm Post subject: Influencing the BBC/ the ghastly "store" trend..

Dear Stephen

My wrath knows no bounds. I have just heard the jewellery shop recently raided referred to on Radio 4 as a STORE!
I utterly deplore the inaccurate use of this term. Can you not use your undoubted influence at the BBC to eradicate this ridiculous usage? To my knowledge John Lewis and M&S (for example) do not exist primarily as warehouses to store goods. They are shops. They sell things. There is and has been for years a perfectly simple word for such a retail outlet.
The notion that this apparently upmarket jewellery shop featured on the news is some kind of bijou warehouse is absurd.
I have complained to the BBC and they maintain that this is now common usage and therefore acceptable. I disagree. For that matter, who promulgated this Americanism? I give you the BBC.
I notice your site boasts a general store. I haven't perused the items therein stored but I imagine a range of books, DVDs etc. The collocation of the two words "general" and "store" is permissible although I would have preferred "Corner shop" (perhaps tucked to the far left of the window?).

In sullen hope
DHW

exoskeleton

Posted Sat Aug 15th, 2009 9:23pm Post subject: Influencing the BBC/ the ghastly "store" trend..

you might listen to the most recent episode of Fry's English Delight to hear Stephen's sentiments about changing usage. they're rather different from your own.

sockdolager.

Derek Holding-Willey

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 5:45pm Post subject: Influencing the BBC/ the ghastly "store" trend..

That's all very well and I did try to listen to this morning's programme. It irritated the bejeezus out of me after a few minutes. Too much repetition. I'm sorry but I'm no longer of the school of thought which accepts any old utterance with a nod of respect to its context. No, I have decided to insist upon rigour in the spoken word when spoken on Radio 4 on a respected news programme.
"Store" for "shop" diminishes the language. Texting abbreviations add to and enrich it.
Hmmm.

Nitro

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 6:02pm Post subject: Influencing the BBC/ the ghastly "store" trend..

R U sayin' U d-plore abbr.'s N such 4 words?

heh heh heh

( Actually, I'm somewhat sympathetic to your viewpoint. )

Really? Wow.