Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Lumikuningatar

Posted Sun Jan 15th, 2012 1:23am Post subject: Introduce yourself

Guess I should apologise for my first introduction. I do my best to act like a Byronic hero when I'm on a downer and lo and behold the age of Gothic literature happened all over my nonsense post.

Spinach88, you should be able to see a psychologist and set boundaries without a problem. At the beginning just say your piece and do not feel obligated in the future to answer questions you feel will make you uncomfortable. It doesn’t need to be scary and it essentially isn’t. A lot of people do this so your psychologist shouldn’t be offended. If the psychologist does get offended I’d be inclined to say they’re not doing their job very well and you ought to get a new one.

I know in an essentially high risk time in your life the last thing you want to do is look back but I urge you to do so later when you feel that you have the time to heal. I found it a real turning point for me and believe me I fought tooth and nail to avoid it. Yes it’s a bit like sorting out your dirty laundry with an audience but it does help as long as you don’t run away and of course have a good psychologist. The past in an important part of the now even though we don’t like to think it is. The way we remember things is also important. If you have negative memories which still cause pain then they need to be addressed. Yes, very traumatic events sometimes may never be less painful but you can at least update the way you view them. This is an essential part of hypnosis in curing phobias. You look at where it began and instead of just forgetting it ever happened you work with it so the ripples aren’t so wide spreading in your life. The traumatic past you buried haphazardly is suddenly exhumed and given a proper funeral. I’m not pretending it’s not painful (because it can be) but in the long run it can help you look at your past in a different light. A child’s perspective of a set of events can be very different from an adult’s. It can be a very forgiving experience as no one should have to run away from their past.

Still, just getting the ‘now’ sorted shouldn’t be a painful or traumatic experience in itself but a positive turning point. Perhaps later on you’ll want to address the past with a trusted psychologist but for the ‘now’ if you don’t want to answer you don’t need to and if you feel they’re going down a path of questions you don’t like then you simply tell them. If you feel you're being pressed or the questions are very uncomfortable then feel free to say so. I’d get any help you feel you have the time to spend getting helped with. It’s a lot harder to ask for help when you’re alone, than it is when you’re surrounded by friendly faces.

That’s my two cents. Hope things are alright.

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility."

Sigmund Freud

Drac0

Posted Sun Jan 15th, 2012 1:47pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hi all,

My name is Mark and I was finally diagnosed as bi-polar almost 12 months ago. I say finally because it had been over 10 years since I had been diagnosed with severe depression, which explained a lot of things that had happened in my life to that point. But no-one seemed interested in my periods of mania, probably because they were so irregular & short when compared to my bouts of depression. But they put just as much pressure on my life as the lows did.

But at last with the correct medications & treatments my life seems to be turning around some. I hope to be able to contribute something helpful through these forums.

Cheers

My journey, my story.....a blog of my ongoing struggle with mental illness.
When I'm down, I write. Find some of my scribblings on Scribd.
Find me on Twitter: @drac0z

nanny rabbits

Posted Fri Jan 20th, 2012 10:54pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

i have heard today that my dear cousin lost his long and brave battle with bipolar. i wanted to pay some kind of tribute to his sweet soul but alas, i am not good with words. i think though that that there are people here that will understand what he was up against. as i do being one of you and presently experiencing a depressive episode.

a little old granny who rescues bunnies

Drac0

Posted Sat Jan 21st, 2012 10:35pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Welcome nanny rabbits.

Condolences for your loss, it's always sad to hear of another life lost too soon, in any fashion.

Hope you can find some comfort amongst us. Seems to be a lot of understanding people here & many of us who have been through where you are now.

Take care.

Mark

My journey, my story.....a blog of my ongoing struggle with mental illness.
When I'm down, I write. Find some of my scribblings on Scribd.
Find me on Twitter: @drac0z

nanny rabbits

Posted Sat Jan 21st, 2012 11:37pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Drac0 said:
Welcome nanny rabbits.

Condolences for your loss, it's always sad to hear of another life lost too soon, in any fashion.

Hope you can find some comfort amongst us. Seems to be a lot of understanding people here & many of us who have been through where you are now.

Take care.

Mark

many thanks to you Mark for your warmth and kindness x

i have found it very helpful reading the posts people have written here here.

Frazzy

Posted Wed Jan 25th, 2012 10:46am Post subject: Introduce yourself

I'm terrible at introductions, which is an awful first line to an introduction, but self referential warnings are kind of cool, right? Not that it's really a 'warning', my introduction skills aren't so bad that this post will explode and kill you all in fiery doom and such.
It doesn't even have sharp edges.
I'm tempted to just hit post now, to prove my lack of introductory skill, and think myself amusing...

But no, I'm frazzy, as you've probably already noted, 'high functioning' autistic, with severe depression, anxiety and PTSD.
Play Banjo, Guitar, Drums, Harmonica. Love dogs...

nanny rabbits

Posted Sun Jan 29th, 2012 10:43pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

hi frazzy , i'm new too

welcome hugs xxx

nan

Spiderpope

Posted Wed Feb 8th, 2012 10:35pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Well i'd guess i should be polite and say hello to everyone. My name is Alistair, although i tend to be known online by my username.

I was diagnosed with severe depression last year, although after going back over events with a counsellor it readily became apparent that i've been suffering from depression for at least 17 years now. I just assumed that everyone else felt like i did, that contemplating suicide at 13,14, 15 etc was just a teenage thing that one did.

What has brought me to this site is a combination of two things really. The first being my profound admiration of Stephen Fry. His documentaries on the subject and his openness about his own bi-polar disorder were instrumental in my finding the strength to carry on. Because afterall if someone as marvellous as Mr. Fry can struggle with the same self loathing and negative thought patterns and suicidal urges, then maybe i wasn't a complete failure for struggling as well.

The second actually occurred today, i rewatched Christopher Hitchins interview with Jeremy Paxman. At the end of the interview he said one of the regrets he had, facing the end of his life, was that he didn't write to people he admired enough and that anyone who had ever considered doing so, should.
So immediately i thought of the people i admired most, and Stephen's name popped into my head so i typed his name into google and ended up here.

And found not only was there a blog to read, but that he'd gone to the effort of having forums set up too.

So here i am.
Er. That introduction ended up far longer than i anticipated, so if you've made it to the bottom of my waffling on, thanks for having the patience.

Dum inter homines sumus colamus humanitatem. Cum tacent clamant.

IdeaCollector

Posted Thu Feb 9th, 2012 8:41pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Welcome to all of our newest forum members.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

MadMax59

Posted Tue Feb 28th, 2012 10:07pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Just found the site by searching for information on Citalopram Hydrobromide as I have only just come from the doctors only this evening and been diagnosed with Bipolar and have a prescription with said treatment.
So, this is all very new to me but I already feel at ease with reading so many posts covering so many conditions and experiences and more-so their positive results.

So Hi to everyone, I have it all to come.....

Thistleryver

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2012 12:25pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hi everyone.

I do not have bipolar disorder. I have recurrent and severe clinical depression. I also have Asperger's Syndrome.

So I experience the lows but not the mania. My lows get VERY low. I have been clinically depressed for more than a year now and in the last six months have attempted suicide three times. But I am on the way up.

But why I'm here instead of the myriad other sites: Stephen Fry is my hero. He was brilliant before I knew he shared the unfortunate lows but now I admire him still more.

EDIT: Um, also Aspies have intense interests. I can tell I'm getting better when I have an intense interest (polite word for obsession). The last one was probably five years ago at the least. My current one, ahem, embarassing, is Mr Fry himself. Fortunately he puts out a lot of writing so I will be kept very busy and learn much useful information on the way. In this state I absorb information like a sponge.

Mark86

Posted Sat Mar 3rd, 2012 9:08am Post subject: Introduce yourself

It's now about nine in the morning and I've just seen both episodes of the BBC documentary on Bipolar Disorder and it actually made me break out a tear once or twice.
I'm 26 yrs. old and from Holland.
Thank you for your work Stephen Fry.

katiebelle1091

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2012 11:09am Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello everyone I am Katie. I have been officially diagnosed for almost 4 years but in reality have been bipolar since I was 19. Bipolar is rife in my family and extended family. You would think this would lead to tolerance and understanding from family members in general but alas this is not the case. They stand for the most part in constant judgement and like to blame people for their illness. Bipolar is not therefore discussed at all. I am here to be able to speak openly about something that rightly or wrongly defines me a lot of the time. I am quite stable now after 3 years of ups and downs. Looking forward to getting to know you all

The CatBat Princess

Posted Sat Mar 17th, 2012 6:20pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello everyone, welcome!

I like to dress up as a peapod sometimes.
http://thecatbatprincess.wordpress.com/

citizen_erased

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2012 2:33pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello everyone!

I am a 22 year old student from the Netherlands. I`m not officially diagnosed with any mental illness, although the doctors have definitely tried (I refused councelling everytime). I am very interested in it all though, especially as I do suspect I might not be quite "normal".

I have been a "fan" (I have a dislike for the word "fan", but alas, I can't seem to think of a better one right now) of Mr. Fry for a while now. I came across a quote of his on battling depression last week, while I was in a quite the down mood - which I had been for a few weeks - so I decided to see if I could find more, and that's how I got here.

So, in short, I hope to have a nice time with all of you here, and learn a lot along the way!