Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Ann Frith

Posted Wed Mar 28th, 2012 3:45am Post subject: Introduce yourself

said:
Here is a thread for new forum members to say hello to each other. You are sure to find this board a welcome place for people who are seeking friendly advice, discussion about Bipolar Disorder and support when needed. Please try and keep all posts carefully worded so as not to cause offence and remember that everyone is here for each other.

LadyBlack

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2012 10:15pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello all! Just wandering the internet and decided to pop in. I don't believe I have Bi polar, but have episodes of depression due to needing to control things around me. Have followed Stephen Fry in a gentle, non-stalkerish fashion from Black Adder to QI. Got annoyed at Peter Hitchens for his attitude, not sure why he hates Stephen so much. Strange man.
I liked your post about suicidal intentions, with the comment about not saying "Think how much your family will miss you". When I'm in The Pit, I kind of don't think about them much....Anyway, having counselling at the moment, trying to get a handle on everything, which is hard.
I can recommend Free thought blogs - JT, Greta Christina, Allie from Hyperbole and a half. Also love Tim Roth! Lie to me rocked!! So greetings to all.

"If we were intelligently designed, there'd be signs. Like Hallmarks."

"I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going". -- Avon, Horizon

hayleybailey

Posted Wed May 9th, 2012 1:53pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

I really have a mixture of a few things (some more under control than others now), but then, don't we all ? I'm 17. Depression, suicide ideation, anxiety, compulsions, self injury and anorexia. It would be easy to use these things to define who I am, comforting even. But they aren't who I am. Of course they are a part of me and always will be, but I am more than my struggles and it gets on my nerves this whole thing that if you have or have had a mental illness, you are immediately crazy or whatever. They are such a taboo subject when in fact there are so many sufferers.

Jvonearth1

Posted Sun May 20th, 2012 11:12pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello jvonearth here have been a member for five odd years but had some time away and now I'm back

Sleuthcity

Posted Mon May 21st, 2012 3:08am Post subject: Introduce yourself

My son and I watched the 'Secret Life of the Manic Depressive' only last night. It was a revelation for my son to learn there were others, including young people, who have dealt with the same issues he has in clawing his way out of the swings that the disorder brings. He identified with everything that Stephen had experienced including shoplifting. He too was scared of lithium and its bad press. With the help of another, different and new drug and 18 months of solid therapy with a psychiatrist he respects, he is now back to his old smart, funny and lively self. I was so glad he was well enough to be able to relate to Stephen's story and those of others interviewed and not be overwhelmed with what he says is embarrassment. Thank you to Stephen for being so honest and open. My son asks that you reconsider drug therapy and not rule it out. If someone had told me three years ago and after my son had experienced three bouts of mania leading to psychosis and hospital that he would now be studying at university (and doing well) I would have called them liars. I am grateful that my son did not fall in love with the mania like so many do.

CriminalMinds

Posted Tue May 22nd, 2012 8:40am Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello, I'm new here.

my favorite TV show is Criminal Minds

synchronicity

Posted Sun May 27th, 2012 6:47pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

I'm a 56 year old actor now living in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I was drawn to the film not just because I'm a fan of Stephen's work but also an actor, and also someone who did what he did rather than do myself in.

I stayed away, though.

Basically, I just left all my possessions apart from a suitcase full of bits and pieces and dirty socks, all packed within 20 minutes, and I left for America (via Phoenix, as a symbol of rebirth), with just $350 in my pocket and a guitar and teddy bear.

No credit cards, no friends, not even a sleeping bag.

Been here now 15 years, and have recently had my first starring role in a film which won me best supporting actor at the Long Island Film Festival.

I have some theories about bipolar disorder which I'd love to share.

I know this might sound a bit controversial, but I do believe it can be treated without drugs, and I managed to do it.

Not easy, but it's possible.

TheGirlAnachronism

Posted Mon May 28th, 2012 10:30am Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello everyone, my name's Amber. I'll just jump right in. I don't really know if I'm bi-polar or not. When I was 16 they told me I had manic depression. Six years later I still have episodes but they aren't nearly as severe as they were when I was a teen. I have, with-in the last few years, been diagnosed with anxiety and having obsessive-compulsive tendencies. I have never willingly taken medication for any of it. I've refused partly because I don't think I need it and partly because I hate the idea of being reliant on pills and, I guess I should add, I don't trust myself with pills of any kind. I'm in America where everyone seems to be on anti-depressants and I refuse to be just another over-medicated American.... I guess that's it.

Vinchy

Posted Fri Jun 1st, 2012 11:44pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello I'm Maria. I'm mad in best traditions of this word.

Jessica M.

Posted Sun Jul 15th, 2012 9:41pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hi there, I'm Jessica, and I'm from the USA. I have Major Depressive Disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. I am familiar with bipolar disorder. My situation is bad enough that I take medicine, and it has literally saved my life. Hope I'm still welcome here

I am @rainflowermoon on Twitter
I take life one one revolution of the wheel at a time. Any faster and I'd get a speeding ticket.

samuelh73

Posted Fri Aug 24th, 2012 7:35pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello everyone. My name is Samuel and I live in the US. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder (type II, or depressive type) when I was 18 and it got so bad that I ended up having to take medication for it at 26. As much as I detest the idea of taking medication, unfortunately I have no choice in the matter. *shrugs* C'est la vie. In any event, I am glad I discovered this forum and hope to see more posts in the future.

JB

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2012 9:17am Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hi there, My name is Joy and I have met the most glorious and grand and gorgeous and good man who has Social Anxiety and Depression and likely Bipolar.
I am here because I do not wish to do him a disservice by not grappling with how this impacts on him.
I have already read many posts and the words have helped enourmously ~ I hope to read many more .... and maybe contribute to the debate as a partner. Regards, J

virgine

Posted Mon Sep 3rd, 2012 12:07am Post subject: Introduce yourself

Quote and reply

Hello Mr. Fry and to all of other my peers in this sometimes difficult illnes. I am diagnosed BIPOLAR II, only at 40 (after a major depression), although I am suffering from it since my puberty. Being bipolar is difficult but has its good moments of which I am sometimes very grateful. I am currently taking a cocktail of 4 medicines ( which I will probably have to take for the rest of my life) = euthyrox for my thyroid, sipralexa = anti depressant, lambipol = mood stabilisor and abilify = anti manic. I have a great Psychiatrist. I live in Belgium and I am happy to recommend her. I am new on this forum. I saw the documentary, but is there any other reading material on this subject of the hand of Mr Fry. If so I am very eager to read this. Love to all of you out there, you are not alone since there are 4 million of us !!!

ephraim

Posted Mon Sep 3rd, 2012 1:31pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello I'm trying to make sense of my life and wondered if I might find some here. I've just watched part 1 and 2 of the film and wonder if I am similarly afflicted.
I've been trying to get some help for a while...I'm very isolated, I don't have a job, I live alone surrounded by trees, I have no money and don't think I can pay my rent this week - I owe money and am afraid I will become homeless. I have suicidal thoughts every day.
I worry that I'm mentally ill and that if I am, then I will have no life, that I will never have the opportunity to become the person I believed I was capable of being.
I worry too that I will be misdiagnosed in some way, that perhaps there's nothing really wrong with me, I've just had a bit of a shitty life.
I experienced many of the horrible childhood things you can and some good things too. I came out of it with absolutely no self esteem or confidence and I've struggled with that ever since. I am 47.
Supposedly I am really intelligent and highly creative, there's not much I can't get my head around, except having a proper life. I can actually write, but I'm so exhausted at the moment, I can barely do anything.
I've been previously diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I score highly on DIY autism tests, but don't think I'm autistic. I've always rejected any thought of a bipolar disorder because I don't go up and down, I don't have mood swings...but now I wonder if I do. I wonder if my definition of 'normal happy' might be a bit manic.
When I am involved in a creative project, I get completely immersed in it, I take things as far as I can, nothing much else exists and I must do everything I think of that I know will be good.
Sometimes I get very anxious, caught up with detail noone else ever notices and then I feel everything is turning to shit, that nothing I do can or ever will be any good, that I am completely deluded about myself and that I am actually really mediocre which is why noone pays me any attention. I am horribly shy.
Sometimes I'm really good socially but other times I'm not at all and I can't face being places - I feel totally alien, unfit for consumption, wrong, even going to the shop is difficult, I feel so self conscious in all my unfitness.
I write, I make art, to my surprise, I've even done stand-up comedy - supposedly well.
A couple of years ago, I had some money and took time out - I did all the right things like yoga, eating good food, meditation, exercise etc and I flourished. I was happy. I made friends and worked independently and with other people on creative projects.
Unfortunately, when it came time for me to make some money again, I found myself in situations where I was exploited and taken advantage of. I'm not assertive and I attract predatory types who see me coming a mile away. I'm still owed several thousand dollars.
I've tried to redress this through the court system and been successful, but remain unpaid. 18 months ago, I was in a job where I was bullied amongst other things and I have not coped with life since.
I'm at a point where I don't know what's what really. I don't know if I will ever have a life, if I'm actually capable of having one. I cannot just get 'a job' and work to buy food and pay for somewhere to live. I have no children or family committments and am compelled to find meaning in life through creative expression - but there's no point if I'm just doing it by myself, it's a bit like unsatisfactory masturbation.
I'm really stuck and I don't know what to do. I fear 'the system'. I fear being pigeon holed or locked up somewhere, totally misunderstood. I fear medication - I tried anti-depressants for 6 months and felt myself turning into a grey thing in a constant fog, this was no good. I couldn't focus.
I've had therapy, but the main object of this seems to be to get me into a nice beige life. I don't live in a city and I'm fearful of the medical services where I do live - I can only access the public health system and because I don't cause any problems to anyone but myself really, I'm not a priority.
I think my only alternative is to go back to study, but I lack even the money to move from this place that I live in and it's just getting too hard.
I really am alone. I spend nearly every day completely alone and I am not coping any more. I do desperately want a life.

Felicity

Posted Tue Sep 4th, 2012 10:48pm Post subject: Introduce yourself

Hello everyone

My name is Felicity I am 23 and a Bipolar person. I was diagnosed when I was 19 after a manic episode. I have had other mental health things going on since I was about 17 maybe.

I graduated from uni and got myself a job but am more interested in the charity world than actually having a "proper job" which has an interesting impact on my bank balance...

I love to paint and write. Although my painting skills are pretty bad, the ideas are there. I am currently painting a box. Its a good looking box. I am writing a kids book at the moment, and a book on my mind. I have not decided yet whether or not to contact publishers about either.

What else could I say about myself.....

I shall leave it at that

Nice to meet you all!
xx

:D :D :D :D :D :D