Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 8:05pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
After reading this:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06/08/att-respon.....tethering/

I've rethought my earlier desire to purchase an iPhone. I agree with these folks. No MMS when it's been around for freaking ever on cell phones? WTF?!

Plus, the only carrier here for iPhone is AT&T. I have some past experience with them and, based on the comments on the above blog, I can see that nothing's changed in terms of how awful they are to their customers. Getting locked into a contract with them is like having to listen to Barry Manilow songs 24/7 ( aka "Hell" X-D)

Maybe if a competing carrier steps in I will consider an iPhone. It's really disappointing. :'(

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 9:09pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
Does iPhone have some exclusive deal with AT&T? Seems I heard that somewhere. I'll have to look at your link when I have a minute.

gjhsu

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 9:12pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
Does iPhone have some exclusive deal with AT&T? Seems I heard that somewhere. I'll have to look at your link when I have a minute.

Yes, for now, the iPhone is natively tied to AT&T, though you can always jailbreak them and use them on other carriers on the same frequency. I know quite a few people who have freed theirs from the shackles of American Telephone and Telegraph.

Nitro

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 3:59pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
Yes, people do jailbreak them and most don't care that it voids the phones warranty beause they are master engineers who can repair it themselves after they've dropped it into the pool or ocean by mistake. X-D

Most of the comm companies suck donkey doo in some way, IMNSHO, but I think AT&T are especially beligerent about farking their customers over.

Really? Wow.

gjhsu

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 4:16pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
I've actually had a really good experience with AT&T thus far. My issues lie with Sprint.

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 10:34pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
I was just thinking about this today. if Verizon ever worked with an iPhone, I'd consider it. I don't see myself getting of our family plan very soon, even if I stop living here, because I could just pay my part and keep it cheaper for everyone.

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 10:39pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
I've actually had a really good experience with AT&T thus far. My issues lie with Sprint.

That's good to hear. If you read some of the complaints though, they reflect something AT&T wants to do that I think SHOULD piss their customers off. I mean, they're telling them to wait on a feature they should've had from the get-go and then eluding to making it an additional charge on their current plans. It's that sort of crap I'm not fond of.

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Jul 2nd, 2009 4:53am Post subject: iPhone in USA
If Apple decide to come to their senses and open up their market to other wireless providers I will definitely get an iPhone, but for now their AT&T only business has sent me straight to the BlackBerry Bold.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

ClareBear

Posted Thu Jul 2nd, 2009 10:22am Post subject: iPhone in USA
MMS came in with the OS 3 update. Whether your carrier will support it is another matter.

Nitro

Posted Thu Jul 2nd, 2009 5:21pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
MMS came in with the OS 3 update. Whether your carrier will support it is another matter.

That's what the iPhone users here are talking about. AT&T should've been better prepared for the update and are saying it won't be till late summer sometime when they trip it on and whenever they do, the customers are going to get new charges on their monthly bills.

MMS has been a feature on cell phones for a few years now.

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Sun Jul 5th, 2009 5:38pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
It will be a good day when all this proprietary b.s. is done away with.

Apple used to be seen as mavericks compared to Micropoo's facist nonsense...

used to be...

Release the code!!!! X-D

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Wed Jul 8th, 2009 11:42pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
Here's some facts about AT&T and the iPhone as they both impact their consumers:

Exisiting AT&T customers will have to pay another $200 to upgrade from the 3G to the 3G S and extend their contracts two more years ( in the middle of their existing contracts ). <--I don't give a shit how anyone wants to rationalize that. It's fucking robbery.

New customers, w/2yr contract, will pay up to $599 ( fuck it guys, can't we just say SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS and some change?!! ) for the 32G.

If you do not opt for their service contract, you're looking at $700 for the 32G.

I like what's going on with Google and Android ( because you will be able to use 3rd party apps ) vs the iPhone but it's still in the early stages and Apple is talking about opening up the o/s for their phone ( 'bout time Almight Forerunners of all things cellular X-D ). Also, there's 'talk' about other carriers picking up the iPhone if Apple resists further exclusivity with AT&T ( which I doubt happens, but hope I'll be wrong ).[/url]

Really? Wow.

gjhsu

Posted Thu Jul 9th, 2009 3:45pm Post subject: iPhone in USA
Yeah, that's why it's not recommended to go from a 3G to a 3GS because, in all honesty, it's just not that big of an upgrade. From a 2G to a 3GS surely is an upgrade worth doing, if only for the 3G antenna.

No doubt it's an expensive phone, but then again, most fashionable items do cost more than the perceived worth. Oh, the things we do.... hahaha

New customers with a 2-year contract, by the way, get the "advertised" price of $199/299 plus whatever plan they choose, so if you're paying $599, do ask where your extra 300 is going...

Nitro

Posted Mon Jul 13th, 2009 6:29am Post subject: iPhone in USA
I feel obligated to make updates occasionally to this topic, when I have the time to find them that is, since I started it. Damn me to hell... X-D

Here's a link where the information exchange is a little less manic than on the original links I provided earlier. If you're an American iPhone user, you might like to read through the various comments and see if any of it helps you decide wether the switch fits in your budget or not. ( There are some people essentially saying the 3G S isn't really that big of a leap ahead and Apple's next phone is the one that might really spin the iPhone addicts on their heads ).

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/iphone_ipo.....c4873.html

Someone in the MacInTouch forum made a good point though. Apple, as the phone maker, wants to release a new phone every year for their addicts. But most comm carriers want two-year contracts. So, the users kind of get squished in between the two seperate companies business models.

Someone also pointed out that 'subsidized phones' is a uniquely American thing and doesn't happen in Europe. Anyway, you can read it on your own now...

while I'd adore a new iPhone, this whole dance reminds me of why I left the idea of contracts behind about four years ago...there's good 'tethering' and bad...the bad is being locked into a contract with a company that shits on you at will and if you want out of it, having to toss them 150 bones or so...

I adore my pre-paid phone for several reasons:
* I don't get monthly bills
* for a flat 50 bucks I get unlimited EVERYTHING
* comes with a 1 yr warranty/service - for free
* at any point i say i don't like it, i tell them to fark off and there's no r'contraction termination fee' of 150 dollaros
* and it has this really cool, super futuristic feature...check it out!

you dial a number ( or use voyce commands if'n yer wannsa be mordern )...and it......MAKES PHONE CALLS!!!! Can you believe it?! My PHONE actually acts like...wow.....a phone X-D I call a person....they answer...and we...we TALK....I'm mean, I'm really impressed by this 'feature'..... What will they think of next?

Really? Wow.