Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gadgetgirl

Posted Thu Jul 12th, 2012 2:26pm Post subject: IPT

Soooo, I was recommended Interpersonal psychotherapy last week after a (probably long overdue) mental health assessment. I can't work out if this is a new funky thing being pushed by NHS, or because the (actually very helpful) mental health practitioner thinks my depression problems are new (it seems to be used short term in a lot of cases, and god knows I have stress problems right now). I think she was more savvy than that, and I really want to be open minded, not to mention honest about where I am and where I have been, but it's hard and scary.

Anyway, I've tried counseling in the past and I don't think it got me very far, partly because I really wasn't very honest with her and partly because I don't like raking up old stuff that hurts. I do need to try something, though, I know that.

Just, um, wondered if anyone else had tried IPT?

That would be me.

michael

Posted Fri Aug 24th, 2012 12:12am Post subject: IPT

Hey GG, how did this go? how are ya??

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

gadgetgirl

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2012 9:26pm Post subject: IPT

Hey there! Well, my first session was pretty disastrous - I didn't hit it off with my therapist too well, and we argued about how to fill in those blinking "how many days this week have you wanted to harm yourself" forms. Trouble is that my moods are ping ponging pretty badly at the moment - very recent marriage break up, two very poorly parents, and new relationship not good contributory factors! However, when we properly started talking it was actually helpful.

Part of the problem with the therapy itself is that it concentrates on how you interact with people in your life that are causing you difficulties. One of the big ones is my father who bullied me (and my sisters) constantly as a kid. Trying to patch and rebuild and reconcile with someone who keeps staring into space because they are so ill is counterproductive. I don't want to be left with nothing but arguments over the last year, so, different strategies are needed.

How's you?

That would be me.

michael

Posted Tue Sep 4th, 2012 9:51pm Post subject: IPT

well... i don't think you're the first person to go into therapy feeling argumentative. are you talking about the forms you have to fill in before your first appointment? I friggin hate those. I ended up going into the room the first time asking "what am i supposed to put for race???" and the counselor was basically like "just check something so we can get on with it."

as far as the interactive personal whatsit whatsit... hmmm. That seems tough. I know folks who have had really really bad past relationships with family and some of them go through all the work to try and communicate (of course, it doesn't mean the person on the other end will) and I know folks who, for now, just aren't talking to those people. I totally respect both choices!

I'm doin ok! Busy at work, with little time to use the computer for things other than helping a student... by the end of the day I don't want to use a computer for fun :X so am not over here often

but otherwise well.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 4:44pm Post subject: IPT

Well I still don't know what IPT is. Went last week and the (very nice) therapist said there's no point doing any kind of structured treatment whilst I'm still in grief over my father (and my mother as the alzhiemers has a complete grip now). Truth is that my head went bang when all this hit earlier in the year, I went off the rails a bit, didn't behave very well and am now mopping up the pieces. The other truth is that I have no idea whether my depression was driven by being in the closet or if its more fundamental. Time is needed now...

That would be me.

gadgetgirl

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2012 7:29pm Post subject: IPT

Mum drank all her bubble bath. As suicide attempts go its pretty rubbish but rather shows her state of mind. FUCK. Worse when I think that I don't really blame her and then feel shit for even thinking it.

That would be me.

elTweeno

Posted Wed Nov 28th, 2012 9:45pm Post subject: IPT

Hi GG (is it bad that I still want to add an extra G there?!)

Sounds very tough for you right now. You're right, the (rather bizarre, admittedly) suicide attempt isn't a good sign about your mother's state of mind; I'm currently watching my grandmother start that depressing journey into dementia. She won't admit it, but we've all seen it, and her mother developed it at the same age. I can't imagine how tough it is for you, at a very different stage of the journey; I can only imagine it's a lot tougher than my place! Have you talked to her about it yet? Does she remember much about it? Sometimes even those who have lost their grip to dementia can have clearer thought patterns than the rest of us. And, who knows, it might help you both?

That's just an educated guess, sorry I can't offer more.

I've vaguely heard of IPT, from an appointment long ago, but I don't know an awful lot about it unfortunately. I'm currently bouncing round different counties, so my psych care isn't really consistent enough for me to ask about different therapies on offer...

Anyhow, holler if you need to talk

eT

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)