Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

RobertBruce

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 11:45am Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
I just read a tweet by Stephen that inexplicable contains the line:

..others that I'm not helping. Clearly best if I shut up

Stephen, just you dare stop. Just you dare matey! I support you and thousands of others do too.

We will always support reform in Iran and will stand by your efforts.

And if anyone doesn't like it, tough titty.

Go Mr Fry - fill your boots on this. UK needs a leader in this matter and you are it.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 7:03pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
I am now following p45camper

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 7:06pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
For those of us that don't twatter, could you provide a little more context for your post?

Last I heard there's been an agreement to do a recount. I'd be surprised if, no matter the real answer, they'd overturn things as they currently are.

They have banned all foreign journalists too I think. And Mr.Dinner Jackets' supporters were out today. Not sure of their numbers, by comparison, though.

Really? Wow.

RobertBruce

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 7:15pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
Nitro, you admit you are a non-twatter? Never mind. We all can't be perfect................!

And so to your request.

Context was a tweet by Stephen copied below for ease of reference:

Lord, I'm getting so much flak about this Iranian biz. Lots tell me to keep going others that I'm not helping. Clearly best if I shut up.

And my thoughts are that Mr Fry should continue with his admirable tweets about the sordid matter.

So I posted what I posted.

Amen

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 7:57pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative

They have banned all foreign journalists too I think. And Mr.Dinner Jackets' supporters were out today. Not sure of their numbers, by comparison, though.

They've banned a lot of media outlets and Twitter has become a very useful tool for Iranians trying to get the word out of Iran, and they've been using it to organize protests.

And my thoughts are that Mr Fry should continue with his admirable tweets about the sordid matter.

Seconded.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

michael

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 8:37pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
throw my hat in too.

i know it's hard to voice an opinion or try to give support, not because it's risky in countries like UK or USA, but because to try and help with something that is so far away and different from one's own experience...it's awkward, we know we don't really know what to do, we fear getting in the way, we fear we are extra-fortunate people whose life is so secure we are street dumb.

after retweeting things last night i felt so awkward and self conscious. and yet to even speak of self consciousness at times like that makes one feel so guilty. through just a few emotions i start to shut myself down.

other times that this happens in my life, not just with world relationships but tiny close ones too, that awkwardness and ensuing silence, silence that seemed like the balm for the conflict, really just kept me from learning and kept people apart from each other. so now when i feel that, i know i have to fight it. in each case maybe i feel awkward & i DID make a mistake, but it is probably because i communicated something unclearly, and I need to keep trying or need to ask people what i can do to help them...NOT because me talking or taking action screws things up.

does that make sense?

anyways it is a difficult situation, but i'm confident we can figure out how to help. there have been RTs of things that are helpful to do.

i really don't know how Mr Fry feels about it. but that's what i'd tell him about how it makes me feel.

i was gonna edit this down a bunch, to one sentence, but i don't have the brains.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

RobertBruce

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 9:03pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
throw my hat in too.

i was gonna edit this down a bunch, to one sentence, but i don't have the brains.

A word of warning - with the likes of Tobias Monk, Nitro and me around these boards please never ever leave those two delicious phrases begging to be used for scurrilous purposes by our warped 'n depraved minds!

I am drooling to go to town on the vision of you not having brains but throwing your hat into the ring. Pray tell m'dear, what was under that hat prior to being thrown....?

OK comedy time over. Here's the serious bit.

I agree with you that support from our sofa is often futile. What do we know and what can we do are valid questions. Especially the what do we know & what's it like.

We cannot ever know what it is like to be in Tehran now. Scary as hell. Frightening with incredibly high levels of suspicion ruining relationships and spoiling life for the kids who will inherit whatever the result is from this revolt.

But the happy bit about what we do from our sofa so far away from their battlefield, is allow those people in the situation to read and see our tweets and blogs for themselves and to learn that there are people like us who care.

And I hope that this works wonders to maintain their morale. Hard as it might be for them to keep their spirits and determination level high, it lets them know & shows them they are thought of in their time of civil strife. And we must not give up on them.

And that is what I think about it.

michael

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 9:11pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
i think you are very right.

michael

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 9:53pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
http://speedsummer09.blogspot.com/

a good article to help people be supportive.

RobertBruce

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 11:32pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
http://speedsummer09.blogspot.com/

a good article to help people be supportive.

I read the article. Interesting. Now, suddenly I am no longer living a dull, quiet life in a small sleepy village deep in the countryside surrounded by fields of barley, grazing sheep and cows, Morris dancers and far, far from the madding crowd.

Thanks to broadband & Tim, I am part of the 'righteous tribe' wanting a different outcome to that which put Ahmadinejad back in power.

Interesting that President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was one of the 3 students who planned and led the attack on the American embassy in Tehran which resulted in that long siege with the US embassy staff as hostages.

In fact he was the only one of the 3 who did not fully support the plan. But he went with it anyway. And look at him now. Where did his conscience go?

Such a shame he will not fully engage the western powers.

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 12:10am Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
I felt like Stephen was trying his best to be responsible given all the people who follow him, but it's very complex, and he couldn't possibly please every single follower!

I don't have many followers, so I haven't been RT'ing, but I changed my photo, time zone, and I keep up with the hashtag. some of the news stories and photos are rather upsetting, as it should be, it's injustice.

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 12:56am Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative

A word of warning - with the likes of Tobias Monk, Nitro and ... our warped 'n depraved minds!

Hey!! Wait a second...did I just get accused of having a warped and depraved mind?

I believe I did. Hmmm. That accusation kind of tastes good. In fact, I think I like it. X-D

I am drooling to go to town on the vision of you not having brains but throwing your hat into the ring. Pray tell m'dear, what was under that hat prior to being thrown....?

Me too. Michael, you're a doll and I love it when you reply to anything.

Robert, thank you for clarifying. I thought as much but didn't want to assume too far.

Mr.Fry has spoken for himself and whatever choice he makes, I can only respect his right to make it. I don't think what he did was 'wrong' in any way. But at the end of the day, it's what we each think of ourselves that matters the most. If he feels better not providing solutions publically, then so be it. But I hope he won't feel bad one whit for having been helpful to those fighting to get the truth of their situation heard by the world.

Isn't it interesting, too, that the re-elected dingleberry has run off to Russia? Hmm...I've a feeling there's more to that move than is being said.

Really? Wow.

RobertBruce

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 11:32am Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
I am now following p45camper

Toby, many thanks for the Twitter follow. I shall follow you too.

michael

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 4:19pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
forgetit

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 4:40pm Post subject: Iran Reformers Initiative
anybody else see this part?

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSWBT01137420090616

state dept calling twitter about the maintenance?

when i was online & maintenance was being discussed, twitter employees ( @al3x )said maintenance was being done by thier network provider, and they were on the phone with them to talk over a way of delaying it.

was the state dept intervention really necessary? sounds like it was going to be adjusted anyway.

C'mon, we can't "not meddle" in Iran's election if we don't know what the hell's goin' on in there now can we?

Walt Whitman