Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

keymaker

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 9:19pm Post subject: Iraq Inquiry
You say "on the information available to me at the moment most Americans are opposed to these crimes being prosecuted." What is that information? Talks with friends online? A newspaper or magazine?
I answered that earlier when I said:

"Most of 'em are over at MacTech . Then there's President Obama and Maj Gen Taguba referred to in the article,... and a few Americans I know personally making about 11 in all with only one in favour of prosecution."

As I pointed out in my last post:

"that information concerned support from the President downwards for suppression of the evidence and non-prosecution of the crimes by necessary implication."

To me, that's like saying most of the British are happy with Gordon Brown's tenure as prime minister and then offering no proof to back my claim.
That's not an exact analogy, of course. If 10 out of 11 Brits in your circle indicated that they were happy with Brown I wouldn't accept a statement that "most Brits are happy with Gordon Brown" but I would accept a qualified statement "on the information availablle to me at the moment..." backed up by links and articles in support and no convincing evidence to contradict it.

km

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 9:57pm Post subject: Iraq Inquiry
Just a small note: I don't think you should count the President, as he is not necessarily acting on his own personal views but what is best for the nation or to be more precise, what is best for the safety of his troops, for whom he bears ultimate responsibility.

As for the other 10, well one was for prosecution, then add to that tally the Americans you are now in conversation with and you'll find the ratio of Americans for and against is evening out.

Though really I think you need to widen your sample group by a few million to be able to accurately comment on the view of Americans.

So maybe you should change your statement slightly to ' on the information available to me at the moment, that being the views of a very small number of Americans and what the Daily Telegraph has published in regards to President Obama and Maj General Taguba......' Rather than 'most Americans'.

Tg

michael

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 10:40pm Post subject: Iraq Inquiry
OK then...

here's what i could have learned today based on the information available to me:

chickens have hairy legs

nunchucks are illegal in various states

it's a good idea to keep a rat in a jewelry box.

about 18 out of 20 people around me today agreed to those statements.

should i assume all americans believe those things?

NO.

BECAUSE I WAS IN A ROOM FULL OF 8 YEAR OLDS.

(they're right about the nunchucks though)

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 10:41pm Post subject: Iraq Inquiry
Stanford Prison Experiment - Philip Zimbardo (1970 I think) - sheds light on this.

Is a Nunchuck a Lady of the Cloth from Manchester?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 11:01pm Post subject: Iraq Inquiry
Also the Milgram experiment.

keymaker

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 11:02pm Post subject: Iraq Inquiry
I don't think you should count the President
I accept your point that he might personally favour prosecution although the reaction to his official position becomes an indicator of public opinion.

As for the other 10, well one was for prosecution, then add to that tally the Americans you are now in conversation with and you'll find the ratio of Americans for and against is evening out.
Yeah, it's evening out a bit but to be honest support for the release of the evidence necessary for prosecution seems pretty muted.

Though really I think you need to widen your sample group by a few million to be able to accurately comment on the view of Americans.
Well I'm not a pollster but if Gallup or one of those groups wants to come along with a scientific poll suggesting that most Americans favour delivery of the evidence and prosecution of the suspects I'd certainly modify my statement accordingly. I wouldn't necessarily concede that anyone is more dismayed than I about the offences but if most of us favoured prosecution without further delay the point would be unimportant.

So maybe you should change your statement slightly to... '
Yeah more or less what you said... I'd be happy with "on the information available to me at the moment, that being the views of albeit a very small number of Americans in my circle and what the Daily Telegraph and other sources have published in regards to President Obama, Maj General Taguba and others and the levels of support for or indifference regarding steps towards a prosecution... it would seem that most Americans are happy with the status quo".

km

michael

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 11:02pm Post subject: Iraq Inquiry
Stanford Prison Experiment - Philip Zimbardo (1970 I think) - sheds light on this.

no it's these

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Help

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 11:06pm Post subject: Iraq Inquiry

no it's these

AHAHAAA!!
Michael you're too funny!

Also I have nothing to add to this discussion, I just found that photo a tad amusing-sorry.

Nitro

Posted Thu Jun 18th, 2009 4:54am Post subject: Iraq Inquiry
So hey, how about those 400,000 North Koreans that have been slaughtered under Kims dictatorship?

I wonder if 10 out of 11 people anywhere outside of NK actually give a damn. And of course that would mean that most people don't think murder and torture of hundreds of thousands of human beings is important.

Maybe if the ACLU stepped in, the dictatorial regime would change their ways. Especially if they stepped in with michaels nunchucks

Oh, sorry...wrong thread [/u]

Really? Wow.

keymaker

Posted Thu Jun 18th, 2009 5:57am Post subject: Iraq Inquiry
how about those 400,000 North Koreans...
Maybe if the ACLU stepped in...
No, it's outside their terms of reference, I believe...

km