Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Occy

Posted Fri Apr 24th, 2009 11:23am Post subject: Is England
a welfare state. Discuss

Maxx England

Posted Fri Apr 24th, 2009 6:53pm Post subject: Is England
Currently it's taking care of me & mine. So I suppose it is. In what way do you actually mean "welfare state"? The way it looks after the weak and disadvantaged, or benefit culture?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Occy

Posted Sat Apr 25th, 2009 7:52am Post subject: Is England
Well I guess I mean does England - the UK in general - create a situation where people can as easily live off the state as work. We call those people dole bludgers here

Nitro

Posted Sat Apr 25th, 2009 4:58pm Post subject: Is England
I don't know about England, but I'd be willing to be a lot of countries in the world are going to have people 'living off the state' given the global economic crisis.

Where I live the unemployment rate statewide is over 10%, which is higher than the national average, last I heard. We have hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people who have lost their jobs and there ain't a helluva lot of new ones in sight. The unemployment office is swamped and backlogged, which means the little bit o'money people rely on to pay bills between jobs is arriving late which means bills get paid late. Retirement accounts are drained quickly when people have kids and have lost their health care tied to their former employers. IOW, the vast majority of people who need the state aren't slacking off or malingering in any way. They're just trying to hold on to their homes, thems that still have 'em, and keep the debt collectors from trashing their credit scores, ( which, here in the states anyways, can actually keep you from getting a job...twisted irony all this..), while paying necessary life expenses like power and water.

Meanwhile, our gov thinks the answer is to raise taxes even more Hard to get blood out of a turnip, innit?

Really? Wow.

gadgetgirl

Posted Sat Apr 25th, 2009 8:00pm Post subject: Is England
My personal definition of a welfare state is one which looks after those who are unable to work, those who are sick and to get those who are able to work back into employment. I.e. something that looks after peoples welfare. It's not supposed to be a something which allows people to choose whether they can be bothered to work or not! I realise of course that that's a bit idealistic.

That would be me.

Maxx England

Posted Sat Apr 25th, 2009 8:14pm Post subject: Is England
I've covered this elsewhere, others have too. What happens is that you can survive healthily on benefits if you don't waste money on booze, fags (cigarettes me dears, not pink gentlemen (although if you do, that's your privilege)) or gambling.

This means that employers need to offer some sort of decent wage if they want workers; there is currently no legal coercion to accept substandard wages or conditions.

The unfortunate side effect of an imperfectly engineered benefit system is that unless you get a job with a wage or salary that completely lifts you out of the benefit trap, you gain no benefit from any extra hours worked or responsibilities assumed as the financial support drops away from under you lile a hangman's trapdor.

The "claimant culture" only exists because perfectly decent people refuse to be humiliated just to please Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Sat Apr 25th, 2009 9:10pm Post subject: Is England
Agree with Nitro. On the Michigan Works website I found 957,000 resumes posted and 21,000 jobs available. Unemployed people primarily post on Michigan Works, just to show you how rough it is here. My own unemployment took 8 weeks to kick in. Fortunately we were prepared for that. Many others are not that lucky or didn't have the wherewithal in the first place to plan.

I realize this has nothing to do with England, however. Did not mean to hijack the thread.

Occy

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 2:03pm Post subject: Is England
Not at all Pam...threads are created to be taken this way and that IMO.

Very interesting opinions so far