Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Kkkathykk

Posted Sat Jul 30th, 2011 5:28pm Post subject: Is it a brain? Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel.

A while ago it was pointed out on QI that the most famous part of the Sistine Chapel ceiling painting that Michelangelo did (where the finger of God touches the finger of Adam) - shows God as appearing to be in a sagittal (midline) image for a brain.

I work at Cambridge University Vet School as a veterinary radiographer, and I completely agree. In fact I have a picture of that bit up next to our MRI scanner for our students to see and discuss.

However - Stephen, if you read this - I'm convinced it's not a human brain! If you look at MRI scans of human brains, they're rather different. This looks more like a dog brain to me. I guess Michelangelo will have attended dissections of animals as well as humans. But it raises the question - did he know this wasn't a human brain? If so then the message he appears to be giving changes fundamentally.

Is he no longer implying that God is within the human brain? But a dog brain? Hmmm.

I don't know if I can upload photos here. I'll maybe dig some out and attempt to, to try to prove my point.

Kkkathykk

Posted Sat Jul 30th, 2011 5:35pm Post subject: Is it a brain? Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel.

OK - I've failed to upload any photos, but it's easy enough to find some images with an internet search. What do you think?

Ludovic

Posted Thu Oct 27th, 2011 6:50am Post subject: Is it a brain? Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel.

Kkkathykk said:
A while ago it was pointed out on QI that the most famous part of the Sistine Chapel ceiling painting that Michelangelo did (where the finger of God touches the finger of Adam) - shows God as appearing to be in a sagittal (midline) image for a brain.

One can see Michelangelo's painting here.

I think you are the "victim" of pareidolia, a psychological phenomenon involving a stimulus being perceived as significant or as something different than what it is, i.e. random or abstract forms, like seeing images of animals or faces in clouds for instance.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jan 17th, 2012 5:58am Post subject: Is it a brain? Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel.

Let's see...

'god' is 'dog' spelled backwards. Or is it that 'dog' is 'god' spelled backwards?

Either way, I think I've proven it.

Really? Wow.