Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maniac

Posted Wed Jan 3rd, 2007 8:30pm Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
I know this probably looks like a stupid question but I've just re-watched the BBC doc and had the same thoughts as I had when I initially watched it when it aired.
I have stopped seeing my psych as I improved and was quite frankly embarrassed to be seeing anyone, but at the time he seemed to be asking me a lot about mood swings, mentioned Lithium etc and I basically told him what he needed to hear in order to suggest I didn't need him anymore.
I don't go sky high but I do go bloody low at times and am currently taking my old friend, Prozac. I've tried lots of different drugs - SSRI/SNRI/Tricyclic (sp) and had counselling but they never found anything to blame it on.
The highs I get are not extreme enough to have caused trouble - as people often mention when talking about manic episodes. I've never gone off on one around people but have been known to have outbursts around family.

Someone I know only online who is MD actually asked me if I was based on my MSN name, message and comments in discussions.
Surely it's not that obvious, is it?

So, could I be MD? I know the only way to know is to get medical opinion but based on what I've said and the fact that the depression affects me more so than any 'up' I get - could I have MD?

Your thoughts would be appreciated as I know a lot of people posting on here are Bipolar/MD themselves and have a unique perspective.

Thank you for reading this.

meekychuppet

Posted Fri Jan 5th, 2007 7:59pm Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
Mania and depression are polar extremes, binary opposites so it's a redundant question in some ways.

See your GP.

Maniac

Posted Fri Jan 5th, 2007 11:13pm Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
I obviously should have chosen a better title for the thread.
Thank you for your reply.
I meant to ask - are 'highs' always very high?
It is obvious that they are a high and not just a good mood?

meekychuppet

Posted Sat Jan 6th, 2007 12:07am Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
It's weird. To me it feels like me but it would do woudn't it?

I have always known I am different but the same is said by homosexuals and that is not an illness so it takes more than unusual highs and lows in my book. Altered perception and mood swings, exceptional creativity - all big factors for me.

My tipping point was my first and only psychosis. That was horrific, weird, rewarding and immensely stimulating all at once.

If I could pin it down it would be curable I guess. I could post loads of stuff about how it is for me if you like.

I had my epiphany when I read Sarah Kanes play 4.48 Psychosis. If you can relate to it then maybe you are.

Maniac

Posted Sat Jan 6th, 2007 12:19am Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
Thanks.
I don't want you to post loads of stuff if it's difficult or if you don't really want to but I'd be interested to read it if you did.
As far as I am concerned - I just don't know!
I am different, always have been, but it might just be that.
My depression is terrible at times and is highly noticable - obviously, but the high times I have, I think - are seen by others as me just being well.
As in, not depressed.
I dunno!!

Bipolar

Posted Tue Jan 16th, 2007 9:14pm Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
As you may have gathered there is no line in the sand where you're in or you're out. Psychiatrists use a number of factors to better understand each patient's circumstances. Even then they may make a diagnosis that becomes "out of date" with time.

We are evolving and changing all of the time and our symptoms can change accordingly. As can our thoughts and feelings, you only have to look at some peoples responses on this forum to see that!

You may want to look into the factors that define Bipolar Type I as well as Bipolar type II.

I'm a little concerned that you switched off your psychiatrist by giving him good answers. As a general rule I think that it would be wise to check in with a psychiatrist every 6/12 months just as a routine, with the proviso that you can call when needed. You really only harmed yourself when you unplugged your Doc. Being embarrased or ashamed is only a problem if you let the wrong people know. Anyone who truly cares about you would only be concerned that you have such an awful illness.

My one piece of advice in all cases is, "Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it". So find out for yourself and don't take everything you read on the internet as golden, because often it's just iron-pyrite.

Maniac

Posted Tue Jan 16th, 2007 10:39pm Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
I realise my discussion with the psych should have been different.
I also feel that maybe I should go back and see him - even if it does mean a diagnoses of Bipolar.
I also know that after a diagnoses I would be no different to who I am now - just have another label.
I suppose I'm scared.

trouser material

Posted Tue Jan 16th, 2007 11:24pm Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
How many people in the UK do the statistics people say are bi-polar these days? Is it on the increase?

Fourth Feline

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 7:20pm Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
M.D. is not always extreme, especially not the "ups".

For that reason my own went incorrectly diagnosed for over 30 years, just because M.D. does not always manifest in an extreme way.

Unfortunately it has had a better chance to get a grip on me because I was not manifesting the signs extreme enough, early enough.

All the reliable consultants I have seen since being diagnosed have verified that it is often hard to diagnose precisely because it often manifest in a subtle way in the first few years.

Hope that helps.

Spleen et Idèal

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 8:32pm Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
If you have mild highs and mild lows and generally keep it together, you might be cyclothymic. If you take vitamin supplements, eat right, and exercise, you'll get more into balance no matter what your "label" happens to be, and be better off in the long run.

F34.0 Cyclothymia

A persistent instability of mood, involving numerous periods of mild depression and mild elation. This instability usually develops early in adult life and pursues a chronic course, although at times the mood may be normal and stable for months at a time. The mood swings are usually perceived by the individual as being unrelated to life events. The diagnosis is difficult to establish without a prolonged period of observation or an unusually good account of the individual's past behaviour. Because the mood swings are relatively mild and the periods of mood elevation may be enjoyable, cyclothymia frequently fails to come to medical attention. In some cases this may be because the mood change, although present, is less prominent than cyclical changes in activity, self-confidence, sociability, or appetitive behaviour. If required, age of onset may be specified as early (in late teenage or the twenties) or late.

Diagnostic Guidelines

The essential feature is a persistent instability of mood, involving numerous periods of mild depression and mild elation, none of which has been sufficiently severe or prolonged to fulfil the criteria for bipolar affective disorder or recurrent depressive disorder. This implies that individual episodes of mood swings do not fulfil the criteria for any of the categories described under manic episode or depressive episode.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 11:05pm Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
My highs are bad very bad i don't sleep or eat my mind and moods change quick i start things and don't finish them. I also take on more and more work even though there is not enough time to do it all and end up a mess.

Then on the lows i get a total lack of interest in anyone or anything. Very over emotional and i just get very down. When like this i avoid watching the news or reading the paper because bad news makes things worse.

I can't compare it to anything i sometimes wish i could just so people can understand

I think as the word mental health covers so much i think it would be difficult to find out who has what. Which is a shame because so many people need help and don't get it.

Maniac

Posted Sun Feb 18th, 2007 12:01am Post subject: Is MD always extreme?
Hi
My highs are not extreme but my lows can be.
It's poo.