Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Mick

Posted Mon Sep 8th, 2008 3:41am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Having just watched series E episode 1 I was quite dissapointed to hear Stephen Fry refer to the Irish labourers who worked on the first british railways as "micks". This is and always was a derogatory term. Also he mentions the labourers going to the USA due to "potato blight". I suppose he means to escape a famine that caused millions of excruiating deaths in what was then part of the UK and firmly under British management { but maybe not government for the people by the people etc }.
Oh well sorry for getting all heavy but it jolly well ticked me off.
Is it amusing to refer to homosexuals as " faggots" or make aids jokes ??

slan

Mick

fryfan20

Posted Mon Sep 8th, 2008 9:19am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
I don't think he means any harm with it. and I really don't think he is any kind of racist .

I am what I am

helvissa

Posted Mon Sep 8th, 2008 12:21pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Are you in America, by any chance, Mick?

Grant McGoldrick

Posted Mon Sep 8th, 2008 6:00pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Well, alot of people do find it funny to call gay people "Faggots" and Potatoe Famine jokes aren't anywhere nearly as touchy as AIDS jokes. People seem to find it funny when Jimmy Carr does it, so, why not?

Michael White

Posted Mon Sep 8th, 2008 6:16pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
I think it is just down to humour. I used to regularly joke about my Irish teacher who worshipped Ireland and kept explaining why potatoes were important. Consequently I developed a distaste for anything Seamus Heaney and made potato jokes. A similar thing happened with my Indian chemistry teacher when it looked like he had curry stains down his front. We would joke about Indians and curry, or Irish and potatoes - nobody means any real personal harm.

Sidthespid

Posted Mon Sep 8th, 2008 10:44pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
The world of political correctness has gone mad. Utterly, bubble poppingly mad.

I have a gay Asian friend who refers to me as 'The Pom'. Why should it bother me? I don't avoid saying "Shall we order a chinky?" or "Pass the poof for my tootsies please" whenever he's around.

It's all about perspective and context. As long as you're not causing pain or disadvantage. My (German) partner's family often insult both English food and weather, even though none of them have even been to Ol' Blighty (except my Anglophile Bavarian Bear of course). Now that bothers me, because I love the mists of the south coast and as for jumbo sausage and chips.... *drool*. You may call me a pom or a limey or the fag hag who ate all the pies. I really don't mind. Just don't knock the dear old English weather or the food! Pub food is luvverly. Especially when there's a log fire and a labrador in the equation.

Sidthespid

Posted Mon Sep 8th, 2008 10:46pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Oh now that is so funny. It replaced my *p*o*o*f* with 'sweetie'. How delightful.

Sealink

Posted Mon Sep 22nd, 2008 1:23am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
It depends on the context, and the intention behind the statement. Coming from Ireland, and watching the programme, I did not in any way think he was being racist, rather, he was talking about a certain time period and mirrored that language that was being used.

Sealink

Posted Mon Sep 22nd, 2008 1:26am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
The world of political correctness has gone mad. Utterly, bubble poppingly mad.

I think you'll find that the world of political correctness* has gone mentally challenged....

* or as I like to call it: thinking about what you say before you say it, but that's not quite as catchy.

Hunchback Jack

Posted Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 8:59pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Having just watched series E episode 1 I was quite dissapointed to hear Stephen Fry refer to the Irish labourers who worked on the first british railways as "micks". This is and always was a derogatory term.

Mick,

context is everything.

Stephen's comment was in response to Rob Brydon's (mock-serious) scolding that we should refer to "navvies" as "navigational engineers", "now that we know the proper term".

Stephen's response to Rob's deliberately misplaced political correctness (as "navvy" is not an offensive term) was to use a term that was *deliberately* offensive instead. It was just a joke in response to Rob's own absurd statement.

If anything, it shows that Stephen is *not* racist, as the humour wouldn't have worked if Fry did not consider the term "mick" offensive.

HBJ

KAYtotheEYEtotheZEE

Posted Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 9:37pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Racism IS funny these days.

Only words after all. No word should hold offence then you wouldn't be able to offend people by throwing oral insults.

IQPixiewanabe

Posted Wed Sep 24th, 2008 10:22am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Having just watched series E episode 1 I was quite dissapointed to hear Stephen Fry refer to the Irish labourers who worked on the first british railways as "micks". This is and always was a derogatory term. Also he mentions the labourers going to the USA due to "potato blight". I suppose he means to escape a famine that caused millions of excruiating deaths in what was then part of the UK and firmly under British management { but maybe not government for the people by the people etc }.
Oh well sorry for getting all heavy but it jolly well ticked me off.
Is it amusing to refer to homosexuals as " faggots" or make aids jokes ??

slan

Mick

I think Fry is wrong to think the Americans have a sense of irony. I wonder what he thinks about the Irish in this respect?
I think what Stephen is doing is reporting that Irish labourers were called "micks" in the same way he might also call them "navvies".
I think you would have to be oversensitive to take offense at anything Fry says.

Sidthespid

Posted Thu Sep 25th, 2008 2:03pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
I think Stephen is about as offensive as a labrador puppy who has pooped on the rug.

While you may not always agree with what he has said, you just can't help but go *aw*.

On another note, putting Alan Davies in the same room as Stephen Fry is just too much for me. I often have to knit something, so that I'm not entirely fixated on the television set. That much puppydom in one place is sometimes too much for my girly side to handle.

I try to balance it out, pleasing my masculine side with a bit of Clarkson, but then I get sidetracked with Hammond and I go all squirly again.

I've not seen the hamster on QI yet. Does anyone know if he's been on yet? Did I miss it?

Oh to have the hamster on! Next to Davies would be perfect. Camera shot panning left to right: Alan Davies, Richard Hammond and then Stephen Fry.

I fear the puppydomometer would blow a gasket.

Occy

Posted Thu Sep 25th, 2008 2:50pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Not quite the same mate. You're taking it to heart.

have you seen achmed the dead terrorist - very funny - I hurt myself laughing - though he would probably be glad as Im a jew X-D

Does that make me racist against me?

anyway dude - better a mick than a convict...

Chill...

Occy

Posted Thu Sep 25th, 2008 2:53pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
I think it is just down to humour. I used to regularly joke about my Irish teacher who worshipped Ireland and kept explaining why potatoes were important. Consequently I developed a distaste for anything Seamus Heaney and made potato jokes. A similar thing happened with my Indian chemistry teacher when it looked like he had curry stains down his front. We would joke about Indians and curry, or Irish and potatoes - nobody means any real personal harm.

Oh lord seamus heaney and his bog people - blergh