Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Mares

Posted Thu Oct 16th, 2008 6:24pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
As someone who is partially of Irish ancestry, no, I don't believe that Fry used it in a derogatory manner, he made a reference, nothing more.

BTW, there is NO Irish race, it's an ethnicity. Please don't misrepresent what racism is.Quite honestly, you only serve to be divisive and actually only achieve a cheapening of what real racism is.

Incidently, neither side of the political extremes have clean hands in this. I have friends who are Abenaki, Navajo, Wampanoag and Narragansett, and they have been treated disrespectfully and exploitatively, by those on the left. Similarly, I have friends who are black, and brown who have been treated the same way by some on the left. My maternal grandfather, was full blooded Abenaki, and an orphan. He was adopted by a family in Vermont who were of English ancestry. They were farmers, and had eleven children, so they had their hands full already. They loved him, and treated him like all their other children. He was never treated in a racist manner all his life, up until he returned home after WWI, and the person who did, was an immigrant of color.

For a number of years, as a child, I lived in an almost all Irish American neighborhood outside of Boston. I heard some of them use derogatory slurs about the English, and other races. My paternal grandmother (an Irish immigrant) used to give those those people an earful, shaming them for being hypocrites.

It's important to address real wrongs, but we shouldn't be looking to conflate innocent things into something they aren't. To do so is also exploitative.

st.bipolar

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 9:38pm Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
im Irish and i don't take offense to it, micks really inst that offensive a word and i don't think Stephen was incorrect when he connected the famine with the potato blight which is in effect what it was.

WhyGenTom

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 7:29am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
The world of political correctness has gone mad. Utterly, bubble poppingly mad.

During a Formula One ITV production Martin Brundle (commentator) got in trouble for refering to some Canadian stewards who were relaying some tarmac as 'pikeys', off the cuff. ITV publicly apologised and OffCom investigated it. Incidently Martin Brundle's from Kings Lynn in Norfolk... It's a conspiracy? Or maybe it's anti-Norfolk-ian racism? Hmm..

The world's gone mad... =]

Tom
xx

poeticallyblind

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 9:00am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
F**&ing hell, NO! I'm one of those "Irish Blood, English Heart" people like Morrissey, and mick to me does not conotate discrimination unless it is being used to reduce the opportunities afforded the Irish (Stephen is a powerful man, but I don't see him having that kind of influence)

Also, as someone else stated, terms are important: there is racism and there is discrimination...they have very different complexions and should not be confused.

I live in Canada and I think it is funny that some of the Grand Prix people were called pikeys, because its not even a term Canadians are familiar with...they wouldn't know to be offended...

leilah

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 1:08am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Also he mentions the labourers going to the USA due to "potato blight".

You don't need to put potato blight in quotes - that's what the disease of potatoes is that caused the famine - blight. He's quite correct on that point.

WhyGenTom

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 5:24am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
I live in Canada and I think it is funny that some of the Grand Prix people were called pikeys, because its not even a term Canadians are familiar with...they wouldn't know to be offended...

It's just a term that's used to describe the traveling community (gyspys) that are often associated with tarmacing people's drives, taking the money and running. I believe anyway. It just goes to show that no public figure is safe in making spontanious comments for fear of offended someone.

Tom
xx

Nitro

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 5:54am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
I think the only way the original poster will ever feel better, is to sue Stephen.

Lawsuits. That's some mighty tastey justice. Yessir.

And since it is, I'm going to sue the OP for starting this thread. Then, I'll sue each of you in turn for having posted to it. I might go ahead and sue Mr.Fry as well, just so he doesn't feel too insulted by any absence in a lawsuit. And his webmaster. And any pets they may own. I'm sure the pets are behind some of this trouble. They're probably racists in fact. I'll sue the media that covers this story, and those who do not.

If the judge throws my trivial case out, or calls it trivial, I'll sue him as well ( after accusing him of some more horrible offense of course ). If anyone disagrees with me, I will sue them repeatedly ad infinitum and ad nauseum ( is that redundant? ). And anyone who agrees with me will be sued for making me feel patronized, abused, and condescended to.

Um...what was this thread about again?

Really? Wow.

poeticallyblind

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 9:44am Post subject: Is Stephen Fry a racist ?
Ah, the scattergun theory of litigation...is calling the pets racist not a little bit pet-ist?

Thanks for the pikey description...I am personally familiar with it (and no, I don't own any lucky heather, and NO, I don't want to buy any!)...Canada is not set up geographically for there to be "travellers" in the sense that they exist in Britain...instead we get high rise buildings full of monosyllabic twats who have a time-share scheme on a brain...my time is Wednesday between 3-3:15 pm then my neighbour gets it...

Hope I have not offended anyone with above comments...if so, please reply next Wednesday afternoon.

Janet xo