Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Charlie

Posted Mon Apr 16th, 2007 9:18pm Post subject: Is there financial support for manic depressives?
What support is there if your manic depression illness has resulted in unemployment?

Will future employers need to be informed of your manic depression?

trouser material

Posted Mon Apr 16th, 2007 9:30pm Post subject: Is there financial support for manic depressives?
I'm sure somebody could squeeze a benefit claim of it these days, theres few things you can't thanks to the American way. And ""New" Labour"

Fourth Feline

Posted Mon Apr 16th, 2007 9:34pm Post subject: Is there financial support for manic depressives?
Hi Charlie,

Because I was working before I became retired due to MD, I have been able to claim Incapacity Benefit + a reduction in Council Tax . Recently I have been awarded Disability living allowance. You would need to check with your local benefit office, as a lot of it seems related to if/when you last worked etc.

As for subsequent declaration of your illness to your future employer, there is no law that says you MUST declare it ( like there is with a criminal record) - but I advise that you do. Because:

1) It is now illegal for them to discriminate against you because of your disability, and MD is classed as a disability.

2) By declaring my previous mental health problems to my last employer, I benefited from fairer treatment by them and the benefits agency when I became unable to carry on. I had in effect ' warned' them in good faith and therefore had my case authenticated long before the event of unemployment by my Psychiatrist.

I had in effect ( by declaring it and then failing three years later ) - shown proof of my willingness to try and function.

Best of luck and best wishes for your future health,

Derek.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Apr 16th, 2007 9:41pm Post subject: Is there financial support for manic depressives?
Try this link for an explanation of disability benefits.

As always FF gives balanced and wise guidance.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10011731

You are welcome to ask about what is written there

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 11:04pm Post subject: Is there financial support for manic depressives?
i have tried all you get is bullshit they don't want to give there money away to the likes of us..But yes as Derek has pointed out you may be able to claim