Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 5:19am Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
On March 2nd, I gave up chocolate for the Great Fast, - or Lent, as you non-Orthodox heretics call it. Or rather, I gave up buying chocolate, which left me with a little fruit-n-Nut bar and several tablespoons of Dove ice-cream I still had in the freezer. If wasting food is a sin, wasting chocolate is a Go Directly to Hell card. Also, like Oscar Wilde said, the best way to get rid of temptation is to eat it.

The decision to go chocolate-free must've been divinely inspired. I'm going to a beach in ten days, aaaaaand I've discovered that I no longer fit into my only bathing suit. No idea how that happened... must've accidentally washed the blasted thing in hot water or something. Yeah, that has to be it.

So now my days get capped off with 60 to 90 minutes of uphill walking/running/shadow-boxing with 5 lbs wrist weights. Hopefully, burning between 500 and 600 calories daily will shrink my ass down the required inch or two by March 27th.

Wish me luck.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in desperate need of a post-workout shower, as they can probably smell me from Mexico.

P.S. Feel free to air your own dieting woes in this thread.

PamJH

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 11:21am Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
This has to be the most hilarious diet story I've ever read. Yes, wasting chocolate would send you to hell if there was one, but worse would be facing all the people in the here and now who would make you pay for such a flagrant act.

Good luck with your plan. I just started walking again myself and realize my ancient shoes need replacing. My hip is killing me.

And the bathing suit shrunk. Trust me. I know about these things.

Help

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 12:04pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
Good luck AxmxZ!
I dunno I've only tried dieting twice and both times they didn't work for me.
Depriving myself of things I like just made me want them even more and I have the will power of...well someone with very little will power.
I know some of my friends tried the liquid diet, where you just drink a mixture of lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, it's supposed to be some kind of "master cleanse" Quite frankly even the thought of that makes me feel hungry
Anyways, Good luck, I'm sure you'll suceed

Queen Marge

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 12:42pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I never diet as the very word makes me think of deprivation. I just say 'healthy eating'. I realise it sounds a bit smug but I don't care.

Never been one for detoxing though. I really think it is a load of old cobblers

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 5:38pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
Good luck, AxmxZ! Terrible bathing suit !
Try to avoid carbohydrates in the evening and prefer food rich in protein.
Even a fruit like the banana is difficult in the evening due to its sugar content (carbohydrates).

Shader

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 8:52pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I recently started dieting. And by dieting I just mean cutting out junk and counting calories. No meat only, carb only, liquid only, Mediterranean only, locally grown only for me (or any of the other weird trends).

Cutting out coke/pop/soda/fizzy drinks completely has been my most drastic change. I didn't drink them everyday but they were definitely present and the thing I miss the most.

I just hate the taste of water. So that's making me pretty miserable. I was going back and forth between tea, juice, and milk but water's what I need the most of and I just find it miserable.

My mother suggested Kool-Aid. I might try that. It's better than coke.

As for working out, I meet with my friend whose apartment has a gym and work out there with her. Accountability partner!

We missed two days because of a funeral (her family not mine but it still sucks :(), but otherwise so far so good.

I also do the Wii Fit everyday for at least 30 minutes - so a little bit of movement even when not working out. And it keeps track of my weight for me which is great, until a little plastic board yells at me for doing something wrong ;).

Good luck, AxmxZ!

erik

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 10:47pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I recently started dieting. And by dieting I just mean cutting out junk and counting calories. No meat only, carb only, liquid only, Mediterranean only, locally grown only for me (or any of the other weird trends).

Very wise. Let's face it, losing weight means burning more calories than you consume. You can skew things slightly by eating certain things or at certain times of day, but it's basically not worth it. It's also quite possibly detrimental because the diet isn't healthy and/or you're depriving yourself of more than you can cope with or need to.

Cutting out coke/pop/soda/fizzy drinks completely has been my most drastic change. I didn't drink them everyday but they were definitely present and the thing I miss the most.

In my (unfortunately too great) experience, this will do the trick of dropping weight. Don't buy the offending objects, and you'll see movement. Keep track of the movement (weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day, and note the result every time), so you feel good about yourself. If things are slowing down, you'll notice before it goes the wrong way, too.

I just hate the taste of water. So that's making me pretty miserable. I was going back and forth between tea, juice, and milk but water's what I need the most of and I just find it miserable.

I guess tea isn't really a good way to stay hydrated. Juice and milk are really bad if you're trying to cut down on calorie intake.

My mother suggested Kool-Aid. I might try that. It's better than coke.

I have no idea if there's any sugar in Kool-Aid, but if there is, it's BAAAD. You're better off getting used to water. But sugar free sweet drink is great for cutting down on calories.

As for working out, I meet with my friend whose apartment has a gym and work out there with her. Accountability partner!

We missed two days because of a funeral (her family not mine but it still sucks :(), but otherwise so far so good.

I also do the Wii Fit everyday for at least 30 minutes - so a little bit of movement even when not working out. And it keeps track of my weight for me which is great, until a little plastic board yells at me for doing something wrong ;).

Exercise is often the one great way. Be careful about increased appetite which follows naturally. Don't use any of the power drinks or anything of the sort. Eat a piece of fruit right after training for maximum effect (but don't add a piece of fruit to your daily intake, obviously).

*sigh* Sorry for being so... Well, you know.
I can drop weight easily enough. It's keeping the weight off me that's hard.

Shader

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 11:26pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
Nah, help all you want!

I was definitely adding in the calories from the drinks. Like you said tea isn't great for hydrating and the others have their own drawbacks.

I have no idea if there's any sugar in Kool-Aid, but if there is, it's BAAAD. You're better off getting used to water. But sugar free sweet drink is great for cutting down on calories.

Any recommendations for things that are appropriate?

It's not like the water's going to kill me. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time.

Jarus

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 11:45pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
Just out of interest Shader where do you live? I cut out coke and other fizzy drinks a while ago and found the sugar free diet lemonades to be quite nice. If you do live in the UK I'd recommend the Sainsbury's diet lemonade as I found when I came off those fizzy drinks (including the diet ones) I suffered from very bad headaches that were probably due to the various sweeteners and preservatives. When I last checked Sainsbury's was the only supermarket to have cut the suspected problem chemicals out of their products, but this may have changed.

In any case good luck to everyone who is trying to eat healthier, I fell off the wagon and ate 4 tubs of Ben and Jerry's this week, but I'm not beating myself up about it. I'm only human and it was delicious

acidcat

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 11:47pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
Tea isn't bad for rehydrating (see QI question, can't remember series or episode I'm afraid). It's not as high in caffeine as coffee, and I don't think it's a net diuretic. Herbal teas are very good for rehydrating, but other than Redbush, I think they all taste disappointing (smell rather nice though).

Also juice isn't that high in calories, especially if you mix it 50:50 with water. It's also good because it's got some of your required vitamins and fibre. Use sparkling water and life is good.

And as people said, diet fizzy drinks are low/no calorie, but then again they do taste disgusting. The only artificial sweetener I like are the ones they put in chewing gums. The others taste metallic and evil.

Grr... Stop putting sweeteners in non-diet drinks! Tonic water, especially, I'm looking at you. Slimline tonic full of sweeteners for people on diets, but give me full fat tonic water without artificial sweeteners. Specially as I like to drink tonic straight up. Yeah, I'm a fun Friday night drinker me.

Nitro

Posted Thu Mar 19th, 2009 12:53am Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I hope you achieve your fitness goals There's really a wealth of info on the www about it ( outside of the fad diets mentioned ).

Any caffeine or sugar drink is dehydrating. Kool aid is full of sugar!! X-D

Power drinks are ok if you have exercised to sweat. Gatorade was invented for football athletes though, keep that in mind. It has potassium and salts and helped avoid/control muscle cramps that go with tremendous physical exertion and dehydration.

If you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Water's the best thing just keep in that caffeine/sugar 'steals' from the water bank.

Body builders have been on to this stuff for decades and sometimes it's the mainstream health sources just catching up. Like the Atkins diet...he just looked at why most Americans were overweight: they were eating too much fat and carbs. So, decrease fat and carbs and increase protien and wah-lah...he didn't really invent a diet lol

I swear the 'sugar' that is in most foods, solid or liquid, is actually 'corn syrup'. Look at the ingredients of nearly any food in the grocery store and you'll be amazed at how many products contain it. Most corn grown now isn't even for eating as table corn so much as used to make corn syrup X-D

I hope that stuff doesn't sound pompous. Up until very recently, I've been involved in athletics most of my life and learned a lot from other people along the way, thankfully.

Really? Wow.

Katrina

Posted Thu Mar 19th, 2009 2:13am Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.

I was definitely adding in the calories from the drinks. Like you said tea isn't great for hydrating and the others have their own drawbacks.

It's not like the water's going to kill me. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time.

I gave up soda for Lent a few years ago, and it was really hard at first, but now I can't stand the thick syrupy feeling ! I don't really like the taste of water, either, so I put those Crystal Light packets in bottles, so it feels like I'm drinking something Kool-Aid-ish. Best inventions ever.

As for dieting, I don't know, I'm a real perfectionist as far as being in good shape and working out. I've found that if I do my hour of cardio every day and lift a few times a week and do abs every day, I can seriously eat whatever I want, but when you work out, you want to eat healthier, so it all works out.

Obviously, eating right is important, but the exercise is just a bigger deal for me. Just be sure not to get too caught up in the whole food thing, because being anorexic isn't cute, it just annoys people (at least that was my experience!).

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

Shader

Posted Thu Mar 19th, 2009 3:37am Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
There is such a thing as sugar free kool-aid. I've never had it though.

And as people said, diet fizzy drinks are low/no calorie, but then again they do taste disgusting. The only artificial sweetener I like are the ones they put in chewing gums. The others taste metallic and evil.

They are pretty gross and I'd rather not drink something that has no use. Isn't aspartame the sweetener in both sugar free gum and diet sodas? I know it's used in Orbit.

But yeah I know all about corn syrup and all that. I didn't mean to take over the thread ;). Just like I said, I hate the taste of water and I've started exercising regularly.

So we'll see.

erik

Posted Thu Mar 19th, 2009 1:39pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.

I think we have very different possibilities available to us. I drink mostly water (and the water in Denmark tastes quite nice; that is to say it doesn't taste of anything at all; city water tends to taste like chlorine, obviously), but I like to drink a lot of what's called Pepsi Max, especially in company. It's 3 calories to a litre of the stuff.
So look at what the label says, and find something that you like.

As for dieting, I don't know, I'm a real perfectionist as far as being in good shape and working out. I've found that if I do my hour of cardio every day and lift a few times a week and do abs every day, I can seriously eat whatever I want, but when you work out, you want to eat healthier, so it all works out.

Consider yourself more than a little lucky. A lot of being overweight has to do with sheer biology, and even more with sheer habits. Eating habits are notoriously hard to break for all sorts of psychological and biological reasons.[/quote]

Obviously, eating right is important, but the exercise is just a bigger deal for me. Just be sure not to get too caught up in the whole food thing, because being anorexic isn't cute, it just annoys people (at least that was my experience!).

I bow to that observation.

Tea isn't bad for rehydrating (see QI question, can't remember series or episode I'm afraid). It's not as high in caffeine as coffee, and I don't think it's a net diuretic. Herbal teas are very good for rehydrating, but other than Redbush, I think they all taste disappointing (smell rather nice though).

You should likely drink two litres of water in a day. Drink two litres of tea, and you're bound to get an upset stomach from the caffeine (and yes, it would be worse if you drank two litres of coffee).
Tea isn't a problem, it just doesn't help very much. What you need is water, so drink water. It's not like drinking a glass of water should bring any unreasonable strain on anyone.

Also juice isn't that high in calories, especially if you mix it 50:50 with water. It's also good because it's got some of your required vitamins and fibre. Use sparkling water and life is good.

You can get the same vitamins and fibre from (surprise!) fruit! Almost all juice has had sugar added. Even if it hasn't, you still get more of the good stuff from eating fruit directly. Also, your stomach and intestines have a better chance of getting the good stuff into your body if it comes with the package it's (genetically) used to, i.e. fruit.
Again, juice isn't all-out bad, it's just another added calorie intake, even if cut by 50% (by going half water, half juice). I wish I could give a clear example, but I haven't juice in the house..

My dad feels the exact same way.

Power drinks are ok if you have exercised to sweat. Gatorade was invented for football athletes though, keep that in mind. It has potassium and salts and helped avoid/control muscle cramps that go with tremendous physical exertion and dehydration.

It's 'ok' allright. But it's still an added intake of calories. If you exercise in order to spend calories, and then drink calories, you get a poorer result than you otherwise would.
It IS good to eat a little something right after exercise. This restocks the glukogen (not sure if it's the same word(s) in English) storage chambers in your muscle fibres, which helps them grow and recover from their recent exertion.
[On an evolutionary note: If you exercise and then eat right after, it's because you just foraged or hunted. You're allright. If you exercize and don't eat, you're on the run from something, and a period of hunger may well follow. So the body reduces the use of energy as much as it can. Just a theory, but I think it makes sense.]

If you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Water's the best thing just keep in that caffeine/sugar 'steals' from the water bank.

I'll accept that about caffeine if you say so. I do know that if you drink water when you're thirsty, there's no real emergency. 'Dehydration' according to my OED means that a large amount of water is missing in the body. Hopefully healthy people get thirsty some time before this happens.
Also note, if you're thirsty and need to get water, don't add sugar to the mix (either in the water or by eating something a long with it which contains sugar). The stomach considers sugar a more precious resource, and priority is given to it before the water. So until the sugar's absorbed, the water gets to remain in the stomach.

Body builders have been on to this stuff for decades and sometimes it's the mainstream health sources just catching up. Like the Atkins diet...he just looked at why most Americans were overweight: they were eating too much fat and carbs. So, decrease fat and carbs and increase protien and wah-lah...he didn't really invent a diet lol

This is very true. But please not also that a body builder does not exercise to lose weight or to get healthy. It is instead to build up muscle mass. So their training and diet isn't wholly applicable to most people.

I hope that stuff doesn't sound pompous. Up until very recently, I've been involved in athletics most of my life and learned a lot from other people along the way, thankfully.

My god, if YOU are worried about sounding pompous, how worried should I be?

acidcat

Posted Thu Mar 19th, 2009 1:58pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
Ok, my turn to challenge for pomposity and generally acting all disagreeable and ornery

Caffeine may be dehydrating, but in small quantities (like that found in weak tea), compared to the vast quantities of water you ingest, it's net hydrating. Water is more efficient at hydrating than tea though.

Sugar is not necessarily dehydrating, it depends on concentration (this is down to hyper-, hypo- and isotonicity they say in sports drinks adverts). Your plasma is about 5% sugar, so if your drink is more than 5% sugar it will be dehydrating, but if less than that, it will still be hydrating. On a related subject, it doesn't matter that the stomach treats sugar as a priority, as a large chunk of the water is absorbed in the last bit of the gut - the colon.

Having said that, if you're trying to lose weight, no sugar is better (fewer calories).

I think glukogen sounds like glycogen in English, erik.

And apparently the two litres of water intake in a day includes any fluids obtained from diet too, so if you're eating soups, fruits, watery vegetables etc, it all counts. The two litres is a guide for someone who isn't doing much exercise, and will include normal losses from excretion, breathing and sweating.

And there are various sweeteners in chewing gum, but the ones I prefer have xylitol as a sweetener which tastes quite nice. I think aspartame tastes pretty grim, and along with saccharin is near the top of my evil sweetener hit list.

But hey, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with any of the above It's always good to learn!