Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Julia from Bristol

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 10:16am Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
[quote="PamJH"]

Your friend also sounds like she has healthy self-esteem. Good for her.

If we could bottle it, we'd make a fortune!

Just watched a clip about a chap setting up a family business creating the best chocolate ever. It is dark but with a variety of strains, like wine, apparently. It is so good partly because you only need a little to make you feel warm & (I was going to so cuddly!) but not the best word to choose but you know what I mean!! X-D

I have a cunning plan!

PamJH

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 12:47pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
Where is this chocolate business, Julia, and how do I burgle it? Not that I'm craving chocolate or anything.

Shader

Posted Wed Apr 8th, 2009 8:40pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I've lost 5 lbs in 4 weeks.

Slow and steady, slow and steady, slow and steady keeps it off....

I just have to keep reminding myself.

Julia from Bristol

Posted Wed Apr 8th, 2009 9:45pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
Brilliant! Well done Shader! Really jealous!!

I have a cunning plan!

ysabella

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 9:57am Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I'm one of those lucky, lucky naturally obese people. It's not genetic in my case, but I have a confluence of three medical conditions that all conspire to make it really, really tricky to lose weight.

I have to say, I do get tired of people saying "It's just calories in and out." That's like saying "The key to being rich is to put lots of money in the bank and not spend it." Some people really need a lot of help to have any success at all! In my case, my medications, diet, and exercise all have to be right, and even then it's slow and the scale won't budge for weeks. And it took me years to figure out the right diet.

People's assumptions can get annoying. I'll talk about exercise and people will assume I'm newly starting a program, or maybe never exercised before. Telling them about my three triathlons usually does the trick, though.

All that said, I have a few favorite tips. I drink a lot of water, and I do like to flavor it sometimes. I just tip in a blop of juice, my favorite is unsweetened cranberry juice. Or I use sugar-free mixes. I sometimes have a real appetite problem at dinnertime, so I make batches of soup and have a small serving (1/2 cup or 1 cup) while I'm making dinner, so 15-20 minutes before sitting down to eat. That gives my body time to start sensing that food is coming in and helps me feel sated at a more reasonable point. I also put things in the soup that promote satiety - pureed eggplant, a little bit of white potato, chicken, lentils, etc. If you have any blood sugar issues, this might be helpful.

Also, two obvious things that Stephen Fry does are good for most people - taking really long walks, and eating fish.

Julia from Bristol

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 11:53am Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I'm one of those lucky, lucky naturally obese people.

Really envy you your approach to your weight Y! It is the area that always carries my low moods. I can make myself heavier just by being down which is pathetic but then thinking I'm pathetic makes it worse!

Lots of good ideas in your posts - thank you!

I have a cunning plan!

Corona

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 2:00pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
My belt is shrinking. I do everything right but my belt is still shrinking. What can I do?

PamJH

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 2:12pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I ditto the long walks. I listen to podfics or audio books while I walk. Our Mr. Fry once recommended it as you get lost in the story and just might travel a little further to get to the end of it. I had been listening to music which just didn't do it for me. I've been walking for an hour most nights for the past month or so and I do feel I have more energy.

Corona, I will have to investigate "The Mystery of the Shrinking Belt." Very puzzling, that.:D

Julia from Bristol

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 2:30pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I ditto the long walks. I listen to podfics or audio books while I walk. Our Mr. Fry once recommended it as you get lost in the story and just might travel a little further to get to the end of it.

He's right about that. I usually do 20mins on our treadmill but was listening to the podgram on language & had done 35 mins before it finished!

Perhaps that will help entice him to do some more

I have a cunning plan!

Maxx England

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 2:47pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.
I've been walking for an hour most nights for the past month or so

Yes, exactly how far away from home are you now?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Julia from Bristol

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 2:55pm Post subject: It has come to this: dieting.

Yes, exactly how far away from home are you now?

You are such a fool Maxx- I am laughing SO much!!! X-D

I have a cunning plan!