Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

berksowl

Posted Fri Feb 1st, 2008 11:48pm Post subject: It's cricket
Dear Mr. Fry,

Won't you please, for the sake of cricket literature-starved children of the world, consider writing a book about cricket? John Major has written one. So has Michael Manley. And of course there's the great C.L.R. James.

Yet there hasn't been a mix of cricket, socio-cultural analysis (as in Beyond a Boundary), and humour. Perhaps you're just the man to write such a book.

So won't you please consider it?

-Steve M, a loyal fan

Saturn

Posted Fri Feb 1st, 2008 11:52pm Post subject: It's cricket
Does Stephen actually like Cricket?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 11:54am Post subject: It's cricket
Does Stephen actually like Cricket?

Are you joking Saturn and I didn't detect it?

If you genuinely don't know (understandable if you don't read his books) he's always banging on about cricket in his books and articles. There are articles in Paperweight dedicated to things like reviewing cricket books and in The Liar there was a chapter that was mostly a description of a school cricket game and I'm sure it comes up a few times in Moab too. On the 50 Not Out documentary there's also a brief clip of Stephen playing cricket (and looking totally adorable) and Parkinson saying how he's not very good at playing it.

Assuming direct control...

Saturn

Posted Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 1:12pm Post subject: It's cricket
No I wasn't joking...

:-//

I'm not as knowledgeable about Mr.Fry as you my dear, I don't watch or read everything he's done.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 1:19pm Post subject: It's cricket
Awww *wuffleswibblehairandcords* Don't worry about it.

Nele

Posted Fri Mar 7th, 2008 7:55pm Post subject: It's cricket
Great thread! We need a book about cricket by Fry! I know he's always going on about it and when I saw him as an umpire on Kingdom I researched it all on the internet. And yet, as a German, I have to admit, I don't get it at all! It took me hours to even find out that Stephen was an umpire in the episode (I just wondered why he was standing at the side with that rediculous hat!)
Now I really tried understanding the game and frankly, I don't. I will keep on trying but I just know that the man who taught me poetry would be an ideal (intellectual) cricket coach. So start writing!

TinaL

Posted Wed Mar 12th, 2008 12:11pm Post subject: It's cricket
I know it's off topic but, amyl_nitrate, you mentioned 50 Not Out...I couldn't watch the last part of it on youtube and now I don't find it anymore...can you help me or do you still have the link?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Mar 13th, 2008 11:39am Post subject: It's cricket
I've tried looking on youtube and I can't find it at all. Sorry.

TinaL

Posted Thu Mar 13th, 2008 12:33pm Post subject: It's cricket
oh bugger..

but thanks for searching