Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maniac

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 9:05pm Post subject: it's good! Do you think the headphones he had on...
I don't think I'd watch it if it didn't have Stephen in it, but isn't that was entertainment is all about?
I don't think I would have watched every single episode of Morse if he hadn't been played by John Thaw.
You watch something for the actors - otherwise they wouldn't pay A listers to play the parts - they'd pay anyone.

Make sense?

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Mon May 28th, 2007 9:24pm Post subject: it's good! Do you think the headphones he had on...
Roll one series 2!!

I got a digibox for my bedroom so I could watch the behind the scenes programme in peace! That's dedication!

ClareBear

Posted Thu Jun 7th, 2007 10:06pm Post subject: it's good! Do you think the headphones he had on...
Re: The Market Shipborough bells....

either they're redubbed from Moyses Hall in Bury St Edmunds, or somewhere else has the EXACT same bells.

Lovely Jane

Posted Sun Jun 10th, 2007 1:42pm Post subject: it's good! Do you think the headphones he had on...
so.. bought it.

And hmmm... yeah, I sort of liked it, entertaining in a sleepy, lazy kind of way.

But all in all: too much television by cookery book. Not much creativitiy, not much passion, not much effort put into it (that's what fry and phyllida law also said in the documentary, allthough of course for them it was an advantage) - and well, things you don't put much effort in oder don't need to put much effort in, mostly lack something. Being interesting, for example. Being honest, somehow.
One cliché more, one "this is an oh so eccentric character" more (none of them really is), one Fry less and maybe I would even have been angry with this series.

I bought the gormenghast-dvd as well (without knowing the books, bought them, too) and that's quite another part of the garden.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jun 10th, 2007 3:35pm Post subject: it's good! Do you think the headphones he had on...
I bought the gormenghast-dvd as well (without knowing the books, bought them, too) and that's quite another part of the garden.

Gormenghast was brilliant. Not as dark or in-depth as the books but still a great series. I've watched it so many times. I love it to bits. All the strange obsession with pointless rituals and rules. I didn't enjoy the third book Titus Alone as much as the first two. It felt rushed in a way. I don't think it helped that Mervyn Peake died before finishing it so someone else finished it according to his notes. I bet if he'd lived it would've been longer and more rounded out.

Assuming direct control...