Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maniac

Posted Mon Apr 30th, 2007 8:07pm Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
I've not got a diagnoses but the last time I saw the psych he mentioned it.
I am sure I am bipolar II and would like to know for sure but am concerned about the consequences of actually having a 'label' if you like.
I am not ashamed of who or what I am, but I know that trying to get a job and being bipolar make it harder.
I know it's ignorance and I am doing very well in my work and have been for a while now. I would love to be able to be honest with people but I know that would be career suicide.

Anyone else feel like this?
Is it a secret?

Fourth Feline

Posted Mon Apr 30th, 2007 9:04pm Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
hello there

I actually found the reverse to be true, in that as BP II is one of those "disabilities" that are illegal to discriminate against, the following seemed to happen:

1) As a 'disabled' yet functioning person, you can very useful to a prospective employers by being part of the percentage of 'employed / disabled' workforce required by law - whilst actually being quite easy to accommodate within the workplace. This is more applicable if your medication and therefore mood balance is reasonable by now.

2) It sorts out the ethical from the discriminatory employers. Often this means the large players who can offer good career prospects because they operate within laws, correct structures and guidelines.

3) If changing jobs, or after a protracted episode of poor mental health - the employment services offer contacts and short cuts to interviews that we might not get if we were totally 'well'.

I also had reason to be glad I was honest and "let the label fall about my neck" - as in my last job (with the Civil Service ) - I declared a past history of mental health problems, but with current functionality.

Sadly I had to retire on ill health grounds in 2005 when the previous diagnosis of "Uni-Polar Depression" was more accurately identified as "Bi-Polar with mixed states" - and I had a severe crisis point leading to hospitalisation.

Because I had pre-declared my mental health record at the outset, it was far easier to gain fair treatment and financial support from my employer and the Benefit Services when I 'failed' three years later. This was because I had in effect warned them in good faith at the outset - therefore proving my willingness to try and function normally in the interim between interview and ill health retirement e.t.c.

Like you I still gave them years of hard work in the meantime.

Also people helped me to help them, by structuring the workload with me better - and a lot of people respected and empathised with me for 'coming out'.

The Management still take me out to lunch occasionally, and remind me that if the medications keep me stable/comfortable enough, for long enough - they would re-employ me having learned that a Bi-Polar person is usually the opposite of apathetic or lazy.

Hope some of that made sense ...

Maniac

Posted Mon Apr 30th, 2007 9:29pm Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
Thank you.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Apr 30th, 2007 11:43pm Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
Accurate diagnoses enable problems to be addressed accurately, and remove the 'Am i a whinger who can't hack it' syndrome, which itself is very debilitating.

Every one is different, this is just a view which may or may not apply.

Chris

Fourth Feline

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 7:30am Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
Accurate diagnoses enable problems to be addressed accurately, and remove the 'Am i a whinger who can't hack it' syndrome, which itself is very debilitating.

Chris

I agree with the above observation. At the time of my last employment, the (cause of ) seemingly sudden change from perceived 'over achiever' to 'under achiever' was medically / accurately clarified and therefore :

My last months of descent were easier to handle/ be understood by colleagues .

My 'future' references/prospects ( if the Consultant and I can better level the condition enough to enable sustainable re-employment ) - remain untarnished by the stigma of simply having been "lacking" instead of the actual reality of having been "ill".

Maniac

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 6:17pm Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
Thanks, Both.
I'll see how I go.
Currently on a rather even keel - for some reason.
Went through cycles of depression for many years and about 8 months ago had what can only be described as a time with hypo-mania - from what I've learnt.
I cottoned onto what Liz Miller said about Omega 3 in TSLMD doc and have been taking it ever since - I can't tell you the difference it has made (I think)
That reminds me, not had any today.
I'm taking boat loads of EPA as well as Prozac and I'm OK. Fingers crossed.

Maniac

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 6:23pm Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
That reads, weird.
When I said 'I can't tell you the ...'
That was meant to put across a message that it really has helped.
Doesn't seem to look right now.
I'm sure it's helped and so am not going to stop taking it - just in case.

Fourth Feline

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 7:54pm Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
Hello again 'Maniac',

Glad to hear that now is a time you feel on a reasonably "even keel" - especially as you debate whether to 'declare' your illness or not. You are at least deciding and (possibly) speaking whilst holding a strong hand in your favour.

I can certainly relate to the experience of recurring depressions that eventually seemed to 'flare' into episodes of hypo - mania. The Psychiatrist that diagnosed me came to the conclusion that ( in my case ) the hypo-mania had always been there, but just became more apparent in the last few years. He said It would explain why the recurring depressions were getting so regular, - the fact that they were being driven by a previously undetected alternating manic component.

I have tried ( and still take ) the fish oils, but your comments regarding their efficacy interest me - as my daily doses of 'Depakote' and 'Seroquel' tend to mask any levelling effect the oils may be having.
( the levelling effect of my medication being quite efficacious too).

I hope your 'level' spell sustains. I certainly know of a life long Manic Depressive that gained near total relief from Prozac and Lithium, so why not Prozac and EPAs ?

My consultant's current stance on the subject is "not enough evidence" - but in your case, a desirable result using safe, healthy and cost effective methods !

Long may your good health continue ...

Maniac

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 9:00pm Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
Thank you very much, FF.
Now I've started using EPA, I'm not going to stop - just in case it is working.
I did a lot of looking around the net after the documentary and didn't start taking them lightly.
I take just over 1 gram a day along with basic 20mg dose of prozac.

There is research that suggests it works and works well, then there are other studies that say not.

I suppose everyone is different.
At first I thought it might almost be a placebo effect - I think they will work, so they do, but I don't really know.

Thanks for your replies.

A

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 9:14pm Post subject: I've not got a diagnoses but am SURE I'm bipolar II.
Panda and MaryD had a long and informative exchange about nutrition, fish oils and so on around about February on this part of the forum, which had loads of info in it.

It was called NEWEYS