Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Nov 1st, 2006 10:15pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Isn't this the most fantastic show and book series? I simply adore Jeeves & Wooster. I think my feelings about it were summed up pretty well by Stephen in this interview. That it's a fantasy and has this sense of innocence. It has a truly magical quality that grips and sucks you into Wodehouse's world. The music in the series is wonderful as well. The songs are pretty catchy. My favourite is Nagasaki. I havnen't seen any other tv/film version of the world of Jeeves and Wooster so I don't know what they're like. Anyone seen any other versions? I keep meaning to listen to the one that's currently being played on BBC7 starring Richard Briers but the player usualy crashes. I started reading the books a while ago and have trouble putting them down. I love Wodehouse's use of language and the names he comes up with for the characters.

Assuming direct control...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 3:19am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
I heart Jooster this much *holds arms out really wide* It is blissfully quaint and delightful and it makes me nostalgic for a time that didn't really exist.

I think my favorite song is Sunny Disposish, and maybe the Hidey-hidey-hoe, tune. I love how Jeeves maintains the feudal spirit by mouthing "sir" after each bit.

All I want for Christmas is a bowlered, Stephen-shaped gent to knock on my door and say, "I was sent by the agency, sir. I was given to understand that you required a valet."

"Yes, please."

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 8:38am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
I I love how Jeeves maintains the feudal spirit by mouthing "sir" after each bit.

All I want for Christmas is a bowlered, Stephen-shaped gent to knock on my door and say, "I was sent by the agency, sir. I was given to understand that you required a valet."

"Yes, please."

Don´t we all, sir, ehm Fryphile

I just love all the art deco features, even the door knobs are art deco (!) Timeless elegance...

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 9:05am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Ooh, I simply adore this series - Wodehouse´s priceless novels couldn´t have been adapted better. There is all fitting, the sets, the costumes and of course the wonderful acting - Fry & Laurie are Jeeves and Wooster.
I like the songs, too (even if Jeeves likes to sneer at them), particularly 47 Ginger Headed Sailors, Minnie the Moocher and A Sunny Disposish.
From the series I like 1 and 2 most because they´re really close to the novels. The episodes with the cowcreamer stealing (The Code of the Woosters) and of course Gussie´s price giving at Market Snodsbury´s Grammar School (Right ho, Jeeves) are such gems that I could watch them over and over.

Lovely Jane

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 10:53am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
I love how Jeeves maintains the feudal spirit by mouthing "sir" after each bit.

one of my favorite tv-jeeves & wooster moments.

What I really like about the series is that you get more hints of Jeeves' faults or his position as an employee/servant ( like having to pick Wooster's missing golfballs out of trees... ).
In the books he is plain superior to everything and everyone - you normally laugh about Bertie & Co not about Jeeves

(and I like 47 ginger headed sailors, too. I love all those silly songs from that time )

Canzonett

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 7:50pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
I have only read The Code of the Woosters up to now, but this book I loved. Bertie seems to live a dream that probably many of us dream secretly: To live like a child during summer holidays all through your life, with Jeeves acting both as the best friend and as the parents who finally save you even from the greatest trouble and take care of you. Oh, and the beautiful, beautiful language. Better than chocolate ice cream. I had to read so many parts of this book aloud, just to feel the words in my mouth, play with subtle nuances of intonation.

Tourmaline

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 10:44pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Oh to live the dream.....a snug cosy flat in the metrop' with the brainiest cove in the country fixing one's breakfast and pressing one's suits and whatnot; driving off to Worcestershire to relax in the company of an esteemed Aunt and partake of the wonderous gastronomic creations of Anatole; taking an extended sojurn in New York and mixing with all sorts of new friends at the Frolics On The Roof.

Let's face it, we'd all give it a go, even if just for a day, just to see what it's like

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 10:47pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
I I love how Jeeves maintains the feudal spirit by mouthing "sir" after each bit.

"Yes, please."

Don´t we all, sir, ehm Fryphile

*melts at the thought*

I love how he just appears like that and says he's from the agency. Just like Mary Poppins and Nanny McPhee did.

I just love all the art deco features, even the door knobs are art deco (!) Timeless elegance...

I adore the art deco as well and I love the fashions and music. I'd love to go back in time and visit one of those nightclubs in New York. *sigh* If only.

I have only read The Code of the Woosters up to now, but this book I loved. Bertie seems to live a dream that probably many of us dream secretly: To live like a child during summer holidays all through your life, with Jeeves acting both as the best friend and as the parents who finally save you even from the greatest trouble and take care of you. Oh, and the beautiful, beautiful language. Better than chocolate ice cream. I had to read so many parts of this book aloud, just to feel the words in my mouth, play with subtle nuances of intonation.

That's an excellent sum-up of Bertie's life Canzonett. He lives like a child without any real responsibilities and his only worries concern how to get out of the entanglements everyone else keeps getting him into. I guess that's another childlike quality of his, he'll go along with anything anyone says in the hope of pleasing thema, a desire to help out or just to get them off his back. The language is indeed beautiful. It makes me terribly giddy when I read the books.

Oh to live the dream.....a snug cosy flat in the metrop' with the brainiest cove in the country fixing one's breakfast and pressing one's suits and whatnot; driving off to Worcestershire to relax in the company of an esteemed Aunt and partake of the wonderous gastronomic creations of Anatole; taking an extended sojurn in New York and mixing with all sorts of new friends at the Frolics On The Roof.

Let's face it, we'd all give it a go, even if just for a day, just to see what it's like

I'll toast to that.

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 9:19am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Yes, Bertie is like a grown up child. I think he´s a very loveable character. He´s a really gentle soul, good natured and with a sunny disposish. He is often described as dim witted which I think he is not at all. He doesn´t care too much about improving his mind by reading Spinoza (like Jeeves does) but he isn´t stupid. It´s him who tells us these stories in this wonderful language which I can´t praise highly enough.
Often when I´m feeling sad I turn to Wodehouse both written and on screen and am cheered up immediately Wodehouse is like having one of Canzonett´s hot chocolates with whipped cream sitting cosily in front of a crackling fire on a cold winter day. His words warm me inwards and wrap me caringly like a scarf or a fluffy, woollen blanket.

Tourmaline

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 11:19am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Often when I´m feeling sad I turn to Wodehouse both written and on screen and am cheered up immediately Wodehouse is like having one of Canzonett´s hot chocolates with wipped cream sitting cosily in front of a crackling fire on a cold winter day. His words warm me inwards and wrap me caringly like a scarf or a fluffy, woollen blanket.

Oooh, same here. And also slipping a J&W paperback into my bag before I go out for the day, just so that I've got a little escape if the world suddenly turns its angst outwards

MinervaMoon

Posted Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 4:49pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Often when I´m feeling sad I turn to Wodehouse both written and on screen and am cheered up immediately Wodehouse is like having one of Canzonett´s hot chocolates with wipped cream sitting cosily in front of a crackling fire on a cold winter day. His words warm me inwards and wrap me caringly like a scarf or a fluffy, woollen blanket.

Oooh, same here. And also slipping a J&W paperback into my bag before I go out for the day, just so that I've got a little escape if the world suddenly turns its angst outwards

Definitely. Since school started, all my free-time reading (for I am in a Literature class as well) has been Wodehouse.

Frylu

Posted Sat Nov 18th, 2006 10:46am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
I simply adore Jeeves and Wooster! If I am feeling bad :'( , I always watch, with a mug of tea, an episode of J and W ,and woooops, I am feeling better. ludwig

hughsbeautiful

Posted Tue Nov 28th, 2006 6:54pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
I too find that watching Jeeves & Wooster makes me happy! When stuff gets me down, and lives seems a bit to hard, I turn on my DVD player and pop a J&W disc in, and I'm taken completely away into an innocent time, where everything seems to be black and white, a safe place where Jeeves always is there to help out and fix things. It is a lovely escape, and I find that the happiness this show gives me, also last long after I've turned the DVD player off.

Fry and Laurie really are perfect in these roles! I just adore them both!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Nov 28th, 2006 8:21pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Nice signature hughsbeautiful.

I've only got one more episode of Jeeves and Wooster left in my boxset to watch. Aww. Then I'll have to watch them all over again from the beginning!

J&W really does take you away to another world. It provides an escape from reality like no other, whether it be the books or the tv show. I enjoy reading the books so much. They make me deliriously happy and giddy, I'm always grinning like a loon when I'm reading them (everyone on the bus probably thinks I'm bonkers). Another thing I enjoy about the series is the songs. So many wonderful catchy songs like Nagasaki and Puttin on the Ritz and Oh by Jingo.

Kari

Posted Tue Nov 28th, 2006 11:56pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
XD I can't wait to get my Jeeves and Wooster boxset for christmas.
Something about Hugh's wonderful music always makes me SO happy. *big smile*