Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Selma

Posted Wed Sep 12th, 2007 12:13pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
The Wodehousian world has proved a wonderful escape for me as well. As one good thing leads to another, so the Fry and Laurie J&W (thanks to YouTube) has lead to the wonderful novels.

People do think one rather strange when, on forgetting that not everyone has had the pleasure of acquaintance with the aforementioned world, an utterance along the lines of "What ho!" or "ra-ther" is allowed to escape the lips.

Life will never be so straight forward for any of us as it is for our Bertie, but mine comes a very close second when I hide away with a P. G., a good hot cup of tea and a slice or two of piping toast. And you can put your shirt on the knowledge that my flat will have a definite 1920s flavour to it next year. Bring on the decanter and syphon!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Sep 19th, 2007 7:06am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Ahem....

Mimimimimimimimimi....

Ahem, ahem

*deep breath*

Climb upon my knee, Sonnny Boy....

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Sep 19th, 2007 8:42am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Oh how far have you got with the series now? Are you enjoying it?

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Sep 19th, 2007 11:31am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Watched the second episode yesterday night and my wife is enjoying it too. She's also in the middle of reading "Joy In The Morning", ehich she is also enjoying. She thinks Hugh is a perfect Bertie.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Sep 19th, 2007 11:34am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
He is. I love his range of facial expressions. He comes across as wonderfully naive and dopey.

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Sep 19th, 2007 12:21pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Agreed. They couldn't have found a more perfect Bertie. Whenever I read Wodehouse these days in my imagination Bertie and Jeeves look and talk like Hugh and Stephen, which I think is not a bad thing

Firtavain

Posted Thu Nov 15th, 2007 6:07am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Hello,

A couple of days ago my English teacher asked us to write about a famous person and I decided to choose Stephen Fry. After having looked up all kinds of different information, there is one piece that is missing, and that is the quote of Hugh Laurie talking about Jeeves & Wooster and why Stephen Fry, and his persona, is the perfect Jeeves. I now it's there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I thought, maybe someone here knows the one I'm talking about and could post it or a link to it?

seasun545

Posted Thu Nov 15th, 2007 8:02am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Not sure, but try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3CQmdJjgA
(You Tube-Jeeves & Wooster-Interview)

Good luck.

seasun545

Posted Thu Nov 15th, 2007 8:51am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Ah, remembered another one, not sure but have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF5BbF6xIVw
(You tube-Hugh Laurie 50 Not out)

Aunt Ada Doom

Posted Tue Dec 4th, 2007 6:35pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster
Thanks for all the links to Fry (& Laurie) videos on the net.

I have a geek's question about one of the episodes of "Jeeves & Wooster." Roughly equivalent to Comic Book Guy quizzing the makers of "Itchy and Scratchy" at a comic-con, but here goes:

In the episode in which J&W are in NYC and covering for their friend Rockmatella (the one who loves living in seclusion on Long Island) , there's something very odd about the dialog from the actress who portrays Rockmatella's aunt.

It's almost as though she overdubbed every line in a studio, because when she speaks, the background sound is vastly different from when the rest deliver their lines.

Anybody have any trivia-type information about why this is so?

thewastelandr

Posted Mon Mar 22nd, 2010 12:18am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster

Aunt Ada Doom said:
Thanks for all the links to Fry (& Laurie) videos on the net.

I have a geek's question about one of the episodes of "Jeeves & Wooster." Roughly equivalent to Comic Book Guy quizzing the makers of "Itchy and Scratchy" at a comic-con, but here goes:

In the episode in which J&W are in NYC and covering for their friend Rockmatella (the one who loves living in seclusion on Long Island) , there's something very odd about the dialog from the actress who portrays Rockmatella's aunt.

It's almost as though she overdubbed every line in a studio, because when she speaks, the background sound is vastly different from when the rest deliver their lines.

Anybody have any trivia-type information about why this is so?

You are so right - it is VERY odd! I'm not 100% sure, but I would agree with you. I think she was over-dubbed.

Sub-Level28

Posted Mon Apr 5th, 2010 10:57pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster

I found the first seasons 5 episodes on DVD by chance and I promptly purchased them! And it's the most charming and hilarious thing I've ever watched.

I'm dieing to have that Jeeves!
And such subtle neuances (sp?) in Stephen's face during it just king. I knew he was expressive but damn! That is some facial and body work. So subtle yet so hugely expressive.

And Hugh is fab as well!

This is a gem of the British legacy!

I wish I was a shapeshifter.
Sub-Level 28, My blog

Art is any created work that provokes strong emotions in you, personally. And trying to impose your feelings on someone else is as pointless and time-consuming as trying to impregnate a dishwasher.

MaryDrummer

Posted Tue Apr 6th, 2010 1:55pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster

I have the box set and am currently on the fourth season. It's such a joy to watch!

L U H G

Midsomerlover

Posted Thu Apr 29th, 2010 10:21pm Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster

I got the boxset from Ebay last year, managed to watch Series One and Two already but I'm keeping Series Three and Four for the near future... Absolutely lovely series and of course Stephen and Hugh ARE Jeeves & Wooster.

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

AC

Posted Tue May 25th, 2010 2:36am Post subject: Jeeves & Wooster

Just finished watching Series 1. Honestly, I wasn't too sure about it at first, but the last 2 episodes really won me over. It's really a very enjoyable show, though not quite as laugh-out-loud funny as I expected (I guess that's why I wasn't too sure about it at first). And of course, Stephen is absolutely perfect as Jeeves, but you all knew that already!

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde