Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

nongenderous

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 12:25pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
I got the mail from the QI-blog, and Johnny Vegas had been a guest on the show. Why, oh why?

I read earlier this month about what Johnny Vegas had done with a 19 year old girl during one of his shows, and it's DISGUSTING:
http://www.thefword.org.uk/blog/2008/05/how_in_the_name

I know this is from a feminist site, but that's because he sued the writer of the Guardian and they had to remove what she had written.

There's no excuse for what he did, and still men keep getting away with sexist behavior and sexual harassment.

MinervaMoon

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 1:32pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
I might not be so quick to judge. The MANY comments on the original article suggested that the writer didn't have the full story as to what was going on.

And I might not be so quick to forswear the new episode he was in. I was at the recording and it was only the funniest thing I'd ever seen in my life.

nongenderous

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 9:50pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
I read the original article about the show, and I just wanted to express my disgust, and I how no one bans me for expressing my opinion. I'm happy for you and that the recording was funny. I thought I'd get lots of replies about my opinion on the Johnny Vegas-incident, but at least I got 56 views. Not bad. Maybe this would've been better in the Zero Room, but more people probably read the QI forum. The trouble with society is the victim blaming and that people who treat women as though they were objects get away with it (again and again and again), and it's making me really angry and sad. No matter what happened on that Johnny Vegas show, it's not acceptable behavior for anyone, and the girl was so young. Had someone treated my little sister that way I'd be hopping mad and made her report it to the police.
Hardly anyone in the audience reacted, but the same things happens in the streets every day and no one cares. I'm not going to excuse myself for being a feminist, because I have to be until the society radically changes its view on women. In my newspaper yesterday there were three notices on the same page about rape. I read about a little Swedish girl thirteen years of age, who'd been raped violently by three boys her own age. They'd urinated on the poor girl after the rape:
http://powerliv.blogspot.com/2007/06/att-grningsmn.....er-gr.html
and http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=666054
It happens so often now, maybe more women report rape, despite a system which works against them most of the time.
This is from UN: http://www.un.org/events/women/iwd/2007/factsfigures.shtml
http://endviolence.un.org/docs/VAW.pdf

Britannicus

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 10:39pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
This is all I've heard of it, but all I can say is, I hope it is not true. To be subjected to something like that and in front of a crowd, without your exact consent...well, I think it would be monstrous. If it happened to me or someone I know... I say "exact" consent, maybe that is not the right word, but agreeing to go on stage is not the same thing as agreeing to allow ANYTHING to occur while up there.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

nongenderous

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 10:53pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Some more links on the incident.:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/01/johnny-ve.....99740.html

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/32522,features,did-j.....omedy-mark

Why does shows such as QI have to invite people accused of such things, and why can't they allow more women to be on the show. I'd love to see Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders on the show, and lots of other female comedians. I'd have a lot more respect for "QI" if they did. I don't like to see a show which is supposed to be for everyone become a "Boys club".

Help

Posted Wed May 28th, 2008 4:33pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
If that is true, it's fucking disgusting.
Pardon my language but that makes me mad.

Loona

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 12:31pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Thanks for posting something in the "Zero room" about it, for I don`t look up QI so often, as I cannot watch it in my country.
I must admit that I don`t know Jonny Vegas, either. :-// Is it about a talk show or a comedian?

I think there must be some truth in the article, otherwise there wasn`t an incident to write it. (After all there were a lot of witnesses who could say how it happened)
I`d like to add that to my opinion the problem is not only in "public people" like Jonny Vegas, getting on that low level. It`s the audience who not only tolerate such things but force it. People want their voyeuristic needs be fulfilled on TV, the more "spectacular", the more watch it. If nobody would watch such shows, nobody would ever come to the idea...
I suppose, there have been al lot of women in the audience (even if man,isn`t somebody a father of a daughter???), why did nobody react?

What did the girl do afterwards? What did their parents, friends do??

As long as not even the women support each other in the matter, why should man do? (Sorry for being ironic, hope you understand what I mean)

I think it`ll be a dangerous thing if this man won`t see the consequences on his doing.
In germany there once was a case of a talkmaster who was in suspicion to have molested a girl.(not in front of a camera) He was never seen on TV again.

Fiona

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 1:22pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Johnny Vagas is a comedian. Although, I use the term 'comedian' lightly.

Hadn't heard about this story before. Definately makes me wonder how he's still getting work if it's true.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 1:46pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
If this is true then I'm saddened, disgusted and angry. I agree with you January Heart. I'm tired of people trying to place the blame on the victim saying they deserved it and wanted it and taking all the responsibility from the perpetrator. Why didn't the audience respond? Why did they let it carry on? It sounds horrible. If I was the girl I would've kicked him one or socked him in the face. Don't even get me started on the objectification of women thing.

Assuming direct control...

Phlizz

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 6:43pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
I thought that Amyl. Why did the audience not do anything - perhaps they should she was a plant but I'd still be pissed off that I'd paid money to watch that!

nongenderous

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 11:05pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
The fact that he had the guts to sue newspapers (The Guardian) over the story and had them to remove the story makes me wonder who he think he is. Maybe she was to scared to report what happened. After all; he's a celebrity, and they seem to get away with quite a lot compared to the "ordinaries".

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 2:07am Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Why does shows such as QI have to invite people accused of such things,

Because it's an accusation, and shouldn't be mistaken for fact.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

MinervaMoon

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 1:47pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Why does shows such as QI have to invite people accused of such things,
Because it's an accusation, and shouldn't be mistaken for fact.
Indeed, for it isn't fact. Having talking to people who talked in depth with Johnny Vegas about it, I know that for a fact.

Occy

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 2:05pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Johnny Vegas is gross, slobbery and unfunny - he's like a saint bernard that needs neutering...

Don't care to listen to allegations - I've never been a fan of his and I found him gross on stage and off stage when he was here doing shows. ICK!

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 3:58pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
The fact that he had the guts to sue newspapers (The Guardian) over the story and had them to remove the story makes me wonder who he think he is.

I'm not familiar with Johnny Vegas, or his work, but I do know that people need to wake up and stop believing everything that the media is spewing out simply because we dislike that person. Just because the media prints something does not make it true, and if a paper printed something like that about me, and I knew it was a falsehood I'd certainly feel slandered by what is clearly a defamatory allegation. I understand that this is a very sensitive topic, and yes it is horrible if it turns out to be true, but to condemn someone without the facts is wrong. Also, If I see a headline that has incorrect spelling the way that "Huffington Post" link has, I'm not likely to read any further than that headline.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman