Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Britannicus

Posted Tue Jun 10th, 2008 10:44pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
No one? In Texas? In the US? In Australia? In all western nations, or in the whole world? We've got to be careful here, already we're making too many generalizations that may not apply to everyone; this is a forum with international membership. And I don't think it does much good to believe that someone up high is going to take care of it. We can't assume that the better laws are what we're always moving toward. In the US, the Equal Pay Act has been around since 1963. That's 45 years of it being law that men and women with equal experience/education must get equal pay. We still don't. Why? Some say that the statistics have been muddled due to many women going into already lower-paying jobs, and that men are more likely to make risks that will get them higher annual salaries. Or maybe there really is sex discrimination going on. I personally don't know.

Is it logical that men and women get paid equally? I'd say so. What about other issues, like public breastfeeding? Or again, parental leave, which the US -- unlike most other western nations -- lacks a national standard for? People's views get fuzzier, but even if every issue had a clear, logical answer... Logic is never enough. When has it ever been?

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Skadoo

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 3:49am Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
[quote="Britannicus"]No one? In Texas? In the US? In Australia? In all western nations, or in the whole world? We've got to be careful here, already we're making too many generalizations that may not apply to everyone; this is a forum with international membership. And I don't think it does much good to believe that someone up high is going to take care of it. We can't assume that the better laws are what we're always moving toward. In the US, the Equal Pay Act has been around since 1963. That's 45 years of it being law that men and women with equal experience/education must get equal pay. We still don't. Why? Some say that the statistics have been muddled due to many women going into already lower-paying jobs, and that men are more likely to make risks that will get them higher annual salaries. Or maybe there really is sex discrimination going on. I personally don't know.
/quote]

Here's a recent study done by Vanderbilt University http://www.vanderbilt.edu/news/releases/2007/4/9/w.....pay-parity

Unfortunately it still seems like sex discrimination is the leading cause of unequal pay.

Occy

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 10:23am Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Then sucks be to the UK. I get paid based on my experience not my sex - the more experience I get the higher my wage.

Let's throw a cat amongst these pigeons...

I do believe there are some things men do better than women

Two of these things would be race car driver and jockey

Again i speak as a woman - big boobs n all

Gayalondiel

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 10:38am Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Then sucks be to the UK. I get paid based on my experience not my sex - the more experience I get the higher my wage.

I reiterate - it's not just the UK. Gender discrimination is just as illegal here as it is in Aus, and there is still a problem with it across the board, the same as there is here. You as an individual get paid on your experience, but that does not mean that your whole country, even if they follow the rules, displays a 50/50 split between men and women's pay. It will continue to be an issue for a number of years to come.

nongenderous

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 4:03pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Every year about 529, 000 women die as a result of complications which are related to childbirth, where about 13 % are related to unsafe abortions (source: http://www.who.int/features/qa/12/en/) and in several countries around the world abortion is illegal. In Europe abortion is illegal in countries such as Ireland and Poland. Lithuania wants to ban abortion and they have support from The Catholic Church (source: http://www.siawi.org/article291.html). Not everyone can afford or wants to have a child, or are able to look after a child. Not everyone have the money to travel abroad to have abortions. It's the poorest who will suffer the most (as usual). We really haven't come as far as some of you claim. There is still a lot to be done, and nothing will ever happen if no one cares about what is happening to others. Feminism isn't just about equal pay, but also about reproductive health and a lot of different issues which a lot of women are still fighting for around the world.

Britannicus

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 6:45pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that

Let's throw a cat amongst these pigeons...

I do believe there are some things men do better than women

Two of these things would be race car driver and jockey

Again i speak as a woman - big boobs n all

That's great that you're getting paid fairly. I'm pleased for you.

And on the other note, chill out. No one is trying to say that men are useless and that women should rule the world. Of course there some things men are more likely to do better than women, and vice versa. We are different. No better. No worse. But it is all a matter of degree and more individual than "men are this" and "women are that".

"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Britannicus

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 6:53pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that

Here's a recent study done by Vanderbilt University http://www.vanderbilt.edu/news/releases/2007/4/9/w.....pay-parity

Unfortunately it still seems like sex discrimination is the leading cause of unequal pay.

Grand.

JSKanga84

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 8:46pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
I'm sorry if I've ruffled anyone's feathers or implied that I don't think there's a problem. Certainly there's still a problem, but things are better than they were 30 years ago, and they continue to improve. Progress moves like a glacier, not an avalanche--- and if we want an avalanche, we have to cause it, not talk about it.
If you are underpaid, bring it up with your employer; write to your congressperson; do something about it.
Support economic reforms that will improve the lives of the poorest citizens; support politicians who believe in the woman's right to choose. Be vocal, donate money, do whatever you believe will actually make a difference.

Gayalondiel

Posted Thu Jun 12th, 2008 8:05am Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
I'm sorry if I've ruffled anyone's feathers or implied that I don't think there's a problem. Certainly there's still a problem, but things are better than they were 30 years ago, and they continue to improve. Progress moves like a glacier, not an avalanche--- and if we want an avalanche, we have to cause it, not talk about it.
If you are underpaid, bring it up with your employer; write to your congressperson; do something about it.
Support economic reforms that will improve the lives of the poorest citizens; support politicians who believe in the woman's right to choose. Be vocal, donate money, do whatever you believe will actually make a difference.

It's not like people aren't doing things. This is part of my professional roel. People do all they can and progress is still moving at a snail's pace. It's not like we're all sat here setting the world to rights and expecting it to change because we're grumbling amongst ourselves.

JSKanga84

Posted Thu Jun 12th, 2008 3:36pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that

It's not like people aren't doing things. This is part of my professional roel. People do all they can and progress is still moving at a snail's pace. It's not like we're all sat here setting the world to rights and expecting it to change because we're grumbling amongst ourselves.

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. I guess I just came off sounding the wrong way. I apologize.

Gayalondiel

Posted Thu Jun 12th, 2008 3:52pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. I guess I just came off sounding the wrong way. I apologize.

'Salright, I just find it quite a touchy issue as it really should have been fixed by now and we're still fighting the same old fight. No hard feelings here.

JSKanga84

Posted Thu Jun 12th, 2008 7:42pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Yeah, it's a frustration we oughtn't have on top of everything else in life. No hard feeling here, either.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Jun 13th, 2008 3:44pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
Feminism isn't just about equal pay, but also about reproductive health and a lot of different issues which a lot of women are still fighting for around the world.

Yep yep yep. when I say I'm pro-choice I don't just mean the right to choose to have an abortion but also the right to choose to keep the child, the right to choose where you'll give birth and be given full unbiased information on this and whether to have drugs or not, the right to free and/or affordable contraception. I also believe mothers should have the right to choose whether to stay at home with their children or go out and work and not be stigmatised for their choice and the same goes for fathers.

Not a happy birthday

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Jun 14th, 2008 4:59am Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that

i knew what you meant kanga...that everyone agrees equal pay should happen.
i was just wondering why it doesn't. you didn't upset me at all, we're on the same side of the issue for sure.

by the way, occy, i go to the races quite a bit and our local track has a couple of female jockeys that i win off rather consistently. aaaand....recently one of the key formula one races was won by a woman...so...????? i get what you're trying to say though.

and just to tell everyone, i'm chill..with all of you that is!! no hard feelings at all...i understand what everyone's saying and you're all my friends on here, always.

nongenderous

Posted Sat Jun 14th, 2008 7:43pm Post subject: Johnny Vegas on "QI": I'm not going to watch that
The glass ceiling:
http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/women/story/0,,2285378,00.html