Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

filliamhmuffin

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 7:17pm Post subject: journalist and/or activist?
Before i get to the article, may I complain about earbud headphones? ARgh! Why don't they stay in my ears!!??

Okay, I'm done whining. Anyway, I just read THIS article on yahoo news about this man who's been in jail for refusing to share a video with the district attorney's office in a case against some protesters in San Fransisco. The Q&A transcription of the man's testimony is interesting, and I just wanted to know what others thought about the idea that you can be either an activist or a journalist, but not both.

My own opinion is that there is no way NOT to be both. We all hold opinions, whether or not consciously so, about everything. It's just much easier to believe that you are being objective if everyone around you echoes the very same opinion as yourself. Repetition makes it fact, at least in corporate American journalism. I applaud that he acknowledges the particular stance he takes and at the same time tries to operate as a blogger/journalist one step removed from his political agenda. If Fox news (for instance) only said "Yes, that's right, we report only from a Christian Right perspective," than professional journalists would have some friggin integrity. They're only doing the same thing that this Wolf guy is doing. Why is he being jailed and questioned in his capacity to be a journalist because of his ideology, while they're allowed to trumpet themselves as bearers of the "cold hard truth?"

Also, if you hold the opinion, as I do, that most professional journalism is tainted by the politcal and economic agenda of the broadcasting company hiring and firing the journalists, journalism itself becomes a kind of activism, no?

I'm anxiously awaiting your opinions on the matter.....

filliamhmuffin

Posted Sat Apr 7th, 2007 9:22pm Post subject: journalist and/or activist?
wow, the collective political interest of this forum is enough to knock over a feather.
good job at giving a shit what happens to free speech.

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Apr 7th, 2007 9:26pm Post subject: journalist and/or activist?
Before i get to the article, may I complain about earbud headphones? ARgh! Why don't they stay in my ears!!??

I can relate... I think you and I have wrong ears.

As for politics... so we're not terribly engaged, so what? Or maybe we are but want to keep them out of this place to maintain civility.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Apr 7th, 2007 11:55pm Post subject: journalist and/or activist?
wow, the collective political interest of this forum is enough to knock over a feather.

To engage in political discussions is not why I come here. This doesn't imply that I'm politically indifferent or "giving a shit what happens to free speech" (strange logic, by the way).
I have plenty of those discussions with my friends, colleagues and family. I certainly don't need them here as well.

ClareBear

Posted Sun Apr 8th, 2007 1:13am Post subject: journalist and/or activist?

Get earbuds with foamy bits. The Shure E range are good.

filliamhmuffin

Posted Sun Apr 8th, 2007 4:32pm Post subject: journalist and/or activist?

Get earbuds with foamy bits. The Shure E range are good.

that's what I'm thinking. my current flame has those and i'm trying to be a good girl and not "borrow" them permanently.

filliamhmuffin

Posted Sun Apr 8th, 2007 4:37pm Post subject: journalist and/or activist?

To engage in political discussions is not why I come here. This doesn't imply that I'm politically indifferent or "giving a shit what happens to free speech" (strange logic, by the way).
I have plenty of those discussions with my friends, colleagues and family. I certainly don't need them here as well.

alright, I get it. politics is boring, depressing, overwhelming, inadvisable, all of the above. I pinky-swear that I will never bring it up here again.

but I am sick of everyone questioning my logic. it's not my logic that has problems, it's that I'm trying not to be a complete windbag and write an entire essay on the matter.