Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MonkeyWrench

Posted Sun Jan 6th, 2013 7:00pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

Hello there.
Whilst I've been avidly reading this site for longer than I care to remember, I only joined yesterday and this is my first post.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so . . .

I have a question.

Why is there rarely a mention of Mr Fry's boyfried, Steven Webb, on here?
By that I don't mean that we should pry into their private life. A private life for two public figures such as Stephen and Steven begins at home. Behind their closed door.
I've seen many very good pictures of the two of them, out at public events, on other sites, but never on this one. Photos of them together are rarely, if ever, posted here. (And the postee of one I did see recently was harangued by other members over its suitability)

Hasn't Mr Fry talked of his partner in interviews? And I've had the pleasure of seeing Mr Fry rather proudly watching the astoundingly talented Mr Webb at a show, so he's obviously not hiding him away.

I think it quite a shame, to be honest, that nobody acknowledges the man that is obviously such an important part of Mr Fry's life.

a_LexWilde

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 12:13pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

Dear MonkeyWrench,

Well, you're quite right. We don't speak a lot about Mr Webb. I must admit, for my personnal defence, than I'm not sure he is still his boyfriend.
I mean, we've learnt about him a few years ago, and the last pictures taken with both of them are quite old. (I mean, picture where they appared together, not only about a party where they are both involved).

Do we really know if they are together again, or just good friends? When he wants, Stephen can make his personnal life really private. It seems to me it is one of the part he doesn't wish more talks about.
I say only that because I didn't read or watch interviews about this. I'm sure I'm missing some of them, so perhaps it exists.

Si tu acceptes de perdre un peu de ta liberté pour te sentir en sécurité, alors tu ne mérites ni l'un, ni l'autre.

@a_LexWilde

Recoveringchristian

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 12:47pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

I have two websites of my own relating to work and work related issues. I would feel uncomfortable to mention my personal relationships re partner and children, other than that they exist. I know that they would be very unhappy to be mentioned or photographed, especially as the only reason for them being there, would be to titillate peoples curiosity. I would venture that on this site, it is a situation that neither party wishes to discuss on a public forum.

inckognitto

Inactive

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 12:59pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

We. Know. Nothing.

I have no desire to post, or to talk, or to speculate about this topic because I would feel very very uncomfortable.

I don't even follow Mr. Webb on Twitter because I don't want to know anything!

Stephen has been kind enough welcoming us all in the DM-world on Twitter. He used his personal time replying to us - isn't that enough?

Private life is private.

MonkeyWrench

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 3:54pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

Whoa! I didn't mean to cause such animosity! Nor did I expect such hostility from the followers of someone as kind and noble as Stephen.

But, hey, thanks for replying.

ummm. . .
a_LexWilde - Yes, they definitely are still a couple, I'm glad to say. Glad because I've never seen Stephen look happier than he has in the past few years.

recoveringchristian - I assume you and your family are not public figures? (apologies if you are) And no disrespect, but why would anyone want to know anything about your family?
Both Mr Fry and Mr Webb are public figures.

inckognitto - You make it clear that you personally do not want to know anything about Mr Webb. And that is your right. But I am interested in who makes Mr Fry happy. And so may others be.

a_LexWilde

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 4:54pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

our messages was not made for hostility or anything, really. As you can see nobody feels confortable talking about a subject as personal as are relationship between two people.
As I said in my last message, Stephen doesn't seem to want to elaborate the subject. If he doesn't wish to expend, it's absolutly none of our business.
We can only wish him the best and a loveable life. None of the rest really matter. No need to know more or seek to know more. A happy Stephen is more worthy than all our speculation, so let not speculate more.

Si tu acceptes de perdre un peu de ta liberté pour te sentir en sécurité, alors tu ne mérites ni l'un, ni l'autre.

@a_LexWilde

aranelthemithra

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 7:26pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

Just as an outside observer, new to the site, yes your replies all came off as pretty scathing and at some points condescending.

One of Stephen's most admirable traits (although he himself considers it an occasional flaw) is that he works inordinately hard not to hurt any feelings. As a general rule, perhaps we should all work equally hard not to offend people while frequenting his web site.

Recoveringchristian

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 7:40pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

I have to say, I am shocked at any suggestion of animosity and hostility. I've read and re-read each post on this thread and fail to see any animosity, just a couple of attempts at explaining our own private (to which we are entitled) view of the situation originally posted. If I could reference Rob Brydons website, which has an "about" section, it contains no mention of his private life whatsoever.
As you have mentioned the "public" aspect of Stephen Fry and Steven Webb, I accept that they are both public figures. What I don't accept is that by becoming a couple, they become a separate public figure. A public (which all of us who are not reclusive would be by definition) figure is entitled to as much or as little intrusion into their private life as he or she would allow. If he brings it up, then that would be the cue to participate. Otherwise, it's a little uncouth to venture enquiries. This my opinion, not meant to hurt or offend.

inckognitto

Inactive

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 8:50pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

Recoveringchristian said:

I have to say, I am shocked at any suggestion of animosity and hostility. I've read and re-read each post on this thread and fail to see any animosity, just a couple of attempts at explaining our own private (to which we are entitled) view of the situation originally posted.

Same here ...

glossyibis

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 9:48pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

Looks like you can't win, MonkeyWrench.

No trees were harmed in posting this message, but several million electrons were hopelessly inconvenienced.

MonkeyWrench

Posted Mon Jan 7th, 2013 11:35pm Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

glossyibis said:
Looks like you can't win, MonkeyWrench.

I never set out to win or lose anything, glossyibis.
I am merely curious as to why Mr Webb is never mentioned on here.

I have the utmost respect for Mr Fry.

I have no desire whatsoever to know what side of the bed he sleeps on, nor whether he eats cornflakes for breakfast. That is personal.

Photos taken by the press are not.

I've long admired Mr Fry (since Cambridge) and am extremely happy for him in that he appears to be very much in love.
If only we were all that lucky.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Jan 8th, 2013 2:01am Post subject: Just a thought . . . where's Webb?

I don't see any animus, or hostility here, and certainly none of the replies are scathing. A question has been asked and replies made, perhaps more straightforward than some are accustomed to, but there you go. For reasons alluded to here, and I believe Recoveringchristian pretty well nailed it, folks are reticent about discussing this topic. It really doesn't require more explanation than that, does it?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman