Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

plimmerian

Posted Thu Sep 28th, 2006 6:38pm Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
Well I was pleased to see mental health getting some positive media coverage for a change. I was just disappointed to realise that I don't fit the manic section of depression, mine seems quite dull in comparison.

It is amazing to see that the response to it, as with mine, is to bombard your body with harmful man-made chemicals to stop you feeling any form of emotion be it good or bad.

I still refuse to take any. Why should I be forced to pollute my body against my will when I believe so much more can be done to treat people before that stage. Medication should always be a last resort when all other options fail or are non-existant. I did try it by the way and it made me feel even more ill than when I wasn't on it and the doctor's response was, that I needed to give it time to work, the dosage needed to be increased. I'd have killed myself if I had stayed on them. My friend who had also tried them convulsed while on holiday with her friends, she was told to stop treatment immediately.

Thank you Mr. Fry for bringing mental health into the spot light again and for making people realise we're not just sick people needing to be locked up but that we are human beings with friends, family and our own complex emotions and lives.

I hope my blog gives you a little insight into another form of mental dis-ease!

http://where-is-my-justice.blogspot.com/

Peace to you all,

Ian.

asamaki

Posted Thu Sep 28th, 2006 11:51pm Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
Just a point about your pole, it's not a case of being just manic and just depressed, there is a whole spectrum of states and something called hypo-manic, which is a kinda mixed state. 

Rob

Posted Thu Sep 28th, 2006 11:55pm Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
Asam is completely right, I ticked manic, just because I seem to have more manic episodes than depressed ones.

Most of my depression is a result of the medication used to treat my mania. I become manic to the stage where I don't know what i'm doing and am completely detatched from reality and I'll halucinate. So the ''cure'' for this is anti-psycotics, which make me feel very depressed. That's how I feel right now, unable to think..still trying to re-wire my brain and put all the fragmented pieces back together again. I don't see it as regular depression..more just recovery.

Sorry for ranting.

We need a forum.

asamaki

Posted Fri Sep 29th, 2006 12:16am Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
Yes that's how it was when I tried lithium many years ago, it stabilized my mood but at a depressed level which meant I had to take anti-depressants at the same time. At that time it was SSRIs , but they've caused me more problems then anything else. Also, there are law suits currently pending regarding Prozac and Paroxitine where young males have suicidal feelings:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/2982797.stm

A lot of bi-polar people in the  States go on about Wellbutrin (Buprion) which is a selective dopamine reuptake inhibitor. It's not approved for this use in the UK, but is approved for people wanting to give up smoking. This is interesting actually as it is well known by research that people with bi-polar or schizophrenia, find it  much more harder to give up smoking then the average population. However, if you ask a consultant for it here in the UK, they won't give it to you if you're bi-polar which is ironic. 

I think there have been some open trials on Wellbutrin used in treatment of bi-polar, but I haven't looked recently to see if there have been any double-blind trials. 

I know I'm only smoking to get my dopamine levels up, if it's reuptake was inhibited, I'd probably have enough of my own naturally produced. 

asamaki

Posted Fri Sep 29th, 2006 12:52am Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
Another interesting thing about Wellbutrin is that it has proved effective in the treatment of certain cases of AD/HD, which in children is often found to be co-morbid with bi-polar, so now that they're looking at adult AD/HD they're also finding the same, and looking at some adult bi-polar patients, they've found co-morbid AD/HD symptoms ....

Something here for sure...

plimmerian

Posted Fri Sep 29th, 2006 1:09am Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
Just a point about your pole, it's not a case of being just manic and just depressed, there is a whole spectrum of states and something called hypo-manic, which is a kinda mixed state. 

Thanks for enlightening me - despite being depressed at various degrees, probably for the whole of my life - I was never really aware of the different levels and spectrum of depression. Forgive my ignorance but I just though manic depression was a chronic stage of depression that wouldnt shift. I have never experienced manic depression, after watching the programme about Stephen Fry and the other sufferers and reading other posts here on the forum, I realise I am fortunate not to suffer the mania (or should that be unfortunate :-// no offense).

I am happy for you all to vote and rant, manic or depressed, I only did it to find out how many manic depressives where in here compared with people like myself who are just plain depressed! X-D

I am feeling some what liberated now I am typing freely and sharing my depressive behaviour and educating myself in the process.

Welcome one and all, let's go in peace!

hugs,

Ian.

Swannyriver

Posted Mon Feb 12th, 2007 11:25pm Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
My pills did me a world of good.
I began to think diffrently.
After a while (after being off them), I found my brain had been 'trained' to deal with some situations as if I were still on them.

However, this was a while ago now and I find that I have slipped back quite badly.
But still, as many of you here, you just deal with it.

It was me who took my self to the doctor in the first place. She passed me on to Psychiatrist and psychologist.
I was adamant not to you medication but I'm glad I did and may have to again, I guess.

meekychuppet

Posted Tue Feb 13th, 2007 10:20am Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
Well I was pleased to see mental health getting some positive media coverage for a change. I was just disappointed to realise that I don't fit the manic section of depression, mine seems quite dull in comparison.

It is amazing to see that the response to it, as with mine, is to bombard your body with harmful man-made chemicals to stop you feeling any form of emotion be it good or bad.

I still refuse to take any. Why should I be forced to pollute my body against my will when I believe so much more can be done to treat people before that stage. Medication should always be a last resort when all other options fail or are non-existant. I did try it by the way and it made me feel even more ill than when I wasn't on it and the doctor's response was, that I needed to give it time to work, the dosage needed to be increased. I'd have killed myself if I had stayed on them. My friend who had also tried them convulsed while on holiday with her friends, she was told to stop treatment immediately.

WTF are you talking about?

Unless you're sectioned nobody is forcing you to take anything. If you need meds to stop the suicidal drive of chronic depression so you stay alive then I would say that's a good thing to do

Frylu

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 10:48am Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
Watch some films with Stephen and you era neither depressed nor manic (!) Sorry , that isn´t funny :-// (!)

plimmerian

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 8:33pm Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
http://www.altheahayton.com/wombtwin/

This would explain a lot and no amount of medication can put that right!

I don't need medication, I need answers and a loving, caring, compassionate community and world in which to live and maybe, just maybe, we could erase most mental health issues.

meekychuppet

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 8:37pm Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
http://www.altheahayton.com/wombtwin/

This would explain a lot and no amount of medication can put that right!

I don't need medication, I need answers and a loving, caring, compassionate community and world in which to live and maybe, just maybe, we could erase most mental health issues.

Ah, I see. So your ridiculous blanket statement is retracted now then is it?

plimmerian

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 8:57pm Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
nothing retracted - life is an on going learning curve

and your acidic statements we can all do with out, thank you!

meekychuppet

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 9:55pm Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
nothing retracted - life is an on going learning curve

and your acidic statements we can all do with out, thank you!

We'll let you know when you're appointed forum spokesperson. Until then stop talking nonsense. I found your conjecture and generalisation extremely offensive.

plimmerian

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 4:41am Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive
I didn't know you were the forum police!

As I started the post, I think I have the freedom to air my own opinions and thoughts in it!

If you don't like it then stop coming back here and go some where, were they might appreciate you.

The acid from your tongue is not welcome here.

Thank you!

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 4:45am Post subject: Just an ordinary depressive

The acid from your tongue is not welcome here.

Who died and made you forum spokesperson?