Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

PamJH

Posted Thu Feb 26th, 2009 2:14pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
Don't mind me, I'm just refreshing the thread a bit

Your writings are always refreshing.

Corona

Posted Sat Feb 28th, 2009 1:45pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
I do not "get" the blues. Why does every song start with somebody waking up this morning? Why do the guitars always sound oout of tune?

PamJH

Posted Sat Feb 28th, 2009 3:36pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
Here's what the blues are according to Bleeding Gums Murphy of The Simpsons. He's talking to Lisa at the time:

"The blues don't make you feel better. They make other people feel worse."

That's all the insight I have. I do like to listen to it when I'm in a laid-back mood. The sound just seems to move in all different directions and I don't have to bother bringing it back to the center.

Maybe Maxx had better say something here. I'll quit now.

Desdemona

Posted Sat Feb 28th, 2009 4:58pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
I do not "get" the blues. Why does every song start with somebody waking up this morning? Why do the guitars always sound oout of tune?
Because they can't afford a tuner?

I love the blues, i often make the house feel like an underground blues club that should be fun of smoke. Its such a beautifull sound, some of the scales are tricky on the sax though. Robert Johnson sold his sole to the devil to play like that (and i'm so glad he did because he is amazing).

Skip Life and come with me?

Maxx England

Posted Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 12:22pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
Blues. Well, for a start, "Woke up this mornin" is just a cheap cliche used by lazy people to mock it. The basic format (I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-V for the musicians here) is a simple rhythmic frame to hang words and melody on.

After that, it's as complex or simple as you want it to be. There is the common misconception that blues is all misery and darkness. Not so, no more or less than any other popular music form. In fact, it has to be said, a significant portion of it has a sly humour and earthiness that sneaks in under the wire when played on mainstream radio.

You can play all minor keys, you can play solos using minor pentatonic, but there are no hard or fast rules. I can give you a major key Red House as an example. Essentially, blues is a feeling, not necessarily a format. Many great songs are blues in feel despite having little structural commonality with country or urban blues. It spills over into jazz, country, the child that it had with gospel is called soul.

For any UK listeners I recommend Paul Jones on radio 2, mondays at 7pm. For those outside the UK I don't know if you can get it online, they certainly do the podcast thing and have a replay facility for each week's show until the next edition comes up.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 2:48pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
Maxx,
How about recommending a few musicians?

Maxx England

Posted Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 4:04pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
Oooh, big list...... where to start? Try some blues samplers for one, then there's endless reissues of John Lee Hooker, BB King, Muddy Waters. Personal favourites are slide gods like Elmore James, Houndog Taylor and (stands up & removes imaginary hat) Mississippi Fred Macdowell. Harmonica players like Little Walter, Big Walter, Charlie Musselwhite. Early Ike Turner stuff. Thinking about it, little Ed's still somewhere in the Chicago area, playing much inspired by his uncle, J B Hutto. There's just so many of them, Louisiana Red's winding down his career now, he's in his 70s so if you get the chance to see him, do it now.

Seriously, register on Big Road Blues and ask away, the sheer volume of information is overwhelming, and they're pretty well all nice people to be amongst. But beware of Ricochet and his double meanings; they only have one

Maxx England

Posted Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 4:10pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
Returning to the question of why they all sound out of tune. Nope, mostly, as Pam said, "The sound just seems to move in all different directions and I don't have to bother bringing it back to the center.", so it's sort of loose and disturbing for anyone used to strictly regimented forms of music.

Added to this is the African influence that sometimes deliberately uses quarter tones or the artist chooses a discord to make some sort of musical point. And of course, if it's a live event you're listeniing to, there can be the occasional infelicity in the playing.

Nitro

Posted Wed Mar 4th, 2009 4:23am Post subject: Just letting you know...
I'd add Sonny Brown and Terry McGhee as well. Taj Mahal is a good choice for a softer introduction to blues. J.J. Cale is a great example of how unnecessary it is to force complexity and that something simple can have great impact.

A lot of musicians to play blues, and they might even have all the right 'techniques', but it's one style of music where phony posturing will reveal the musician as a rube every time. I've seen lots of wannbe blues musicians and they might as well be playing commercial jingles for all the originality or soul they have. X-D

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Wed Mar 4th, 2009 5:45am Post subject: Just letting you know...
Here's what the blues do for me. The blues make me want to drag out a lawn chair, pour out a glass of iced tea, pull my hat over my eyes and just listen and let go. The music takes care of the rest.

I do not know much about blues. I just like the way it sounds.

And for another gentle intro to the blues, Eric Clapton and B.B. King made a CD some years ago that's just wonderful. It has a little rock flavor to it, too, so it doesn't sound completely unfamiliar.

Thanks for the recs, Maxx and Nitro. I'm always up to listening to something new. I checked out some swing CDs from the library today. I plan to torture the kids with them very soon.

Maxx England

Posted Thu Mar 5th, 2009 4:51pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
I checked out some swing CDs from the library today. I plan to torture the kids with them very soon.

You're a wicked, wicked woman, infecting innocent minds with this depravity and turning them away from pop and hiphop and (always remember the silent 'c') rap .

PamJH

Posted Thu Mar 5th, 2009 9:02pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
I checked out some swing CDs from the library today. I plan to torture the kids with them very soon.

You're a wicked, wicked woman, infecting innocent minds with this depravity and turning them away from pop and hiphop and (always remember the silent 'c') rap .

Right now they refuse to listen to anything other than Led Zeppelin, the Beatles and a little Pink Floyd. I force them to listen to Brian Setzer (she who drives owns the CD player) quite often, just to keep them well-rounded.

Maxx England

Posted Sat Mar 7th, 2009 11:31am Post subject: Just letting you know...
I'll post links to my audio (3) tracks, but Jim sez he can't put it on Youtube without the permission of all parties involved. Which is difficult/near impossible. Bugger

Help

Posted Sat Mar 7th, 2009 12:12pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
DO IT, DO IT!
Please?

Maxx England

Posted Mon Mar 9th, 2009 12:08pm Post subject: Just letting you know...
3 links, apologies for the voice, but it's the only one I've got, and I can't find anybody else to sing my words. 1 in 4 is a rant about the hypocrisy and shame associated with mental health issues. It's reckoned that 25% of people in Britain will experience some sort of mental health problem in their lives but talking about it is still taboo, like hoping the demons will go away if you ignore them; talking about and working away at them is the only thing that works. So that's the reason for the song.

http://www.darowyn.co.uk/Maxx/Use%20My%20Brain.mp3

http://www.darowyn.co.uk/Maxx/One%20in%20Four.mp3

http://www.darowyn.co.uk/Maxx/Georgia%20Porch.mp3