Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Jan 27th, 2014 1:47am Post subject: Katy-Sara Culling

I won't be deleting any posts, it's all good Your efforts are commendable, but a reminder to any and all caregivers is that you can't possibly help anyone else if you do not take care of yourself first.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

alfredo3

Posted Mon Jan 27th, 2014 6:39am Post subject: Katy-Sara Culling

That is nice of you TobiasMonk. I have some good news and that is that Professor Pat McGorry, who is well known, in mental health, all over the world http://oyh.org.au/our-research/research-leaders/pr.....cp-franzcp has written something really nice, along with other mental health professionals, that will appear on my book and I include it here:

"Alfredo's story and his insights into the causes and treatment of mental ill-health are incredibly moving and impressive. His humanity, intelligence, creativity (in multiple domains of art, music, writing and scholarship) and his generosity and compassion, including towards people affected by mental illness and in a touching fashion to dedicated mental health professionals, shine through the pages of his book. He also reveals a capacity for forgiveness towards his own family. There are many memorable passages, but my favorite is to be found in chapter 5, in which Alfredo describes how he helped Boris, a fellow hospital patient, to trust him and to withstand the fury of psychotic experiences preventing any recourse to extra medication or restraint. The book is a complex mixture of autobiography, analysis, teaching and inspiration. Alfredo illustrates the interaction between the hidden vulnerability for mental ill health we all face, our early and indeed later life experiences, especially trauma and loss, and the healing force of other human beings and a caring society and genuine expertise in mental health care. We must strive to work on all these levels if we are to reduce the impact of mental ill-health, while nurturing the uniqueness and creativity of individuals."

I know how to fall asleep...
I am learning how to fall awake...

alfredo3

Posted Mon Jan 27th, 2014 6:43am Post subject: Katy-Sara Culling

I forgot to mention that therapists are not always well. In particular, having the ability to help others does not mean that one has the ability to help oneself, so that the idea that one has to help oneself before she or he can help others sounds good in theory but does not really work in real life. Sara was still helping people while she was unwell, this much I know and she was still effective. I am not always well but I continue to help people. I continue to prevent suicides even when I am not well, and this is part of reality, a fact. Sara once agreed that I was right and that we need a strong biopsychosocial model of health and that the current medical and biological model does more harm than good.

alfredo3

Posted Sat Feb 1st, 2014 12:08am Post subject: Katy-Sara Culling

Just wanted to say that for me it is not so much a matter of being well in order to help others. Because many of us, let's face it, will never be well, I think it is best to think that being unwell but being able to somehow cope is a better way of putting it. I am not always well but I know how to control myself and never let things go over the edge.

You write very much like Stephen Fry, TobiasMonk. Not saying that you are Stephen Fry but it is possible. In any case, I thank you for your kindness and understanding and for putting up with me. You know, I once saw a picture of Jack Nicolson saying that he has tried to be normal in the past but that that was the most boring 2 minutes of his life. And I always try to stay away from therapist who tell me that they are well and need to be well before they can help others.

alfredo3

Posted Sun Feb 2nd, 2014 2:35am Post subject: Katy-Sara Culling

This is a link to a thesis on the work of Kazimierz Dawbrowski. Who was he? He was a psychiatrist and psychologist who helped thousands of people during the wars in Poland and who was arrested and tortured by the Natzi. He suffered with schizophrenia, so that he was never well, and yet he was able to control his schizophrenia enough to be able to help others. A very religious man and this could put some people off reading his work. Nevertheless, it is possible to learn a lot if one puts the religion aside. I am a spiritual man but not necessarily religious and I do not follow any creed. However, I am not one who believes in the Big Bang as the origin of everything because I have studied physics and I know that absolutely NOTHING comes from NOTHING. Even a Big Bang must have had an environment in which to explode. This environment cannot be nothing. Here is a wonderful thesis and I feel that both TobiasMonk and Stephen Fry could learn a real lot from reading, if they have the time that is. Particularly Stephen Fry will make more sense of his bipolar.

I like Stephen Fry very much because I understand him were words don't go. I also know that being famous is a kind of disability that can affect one's mental health and make it worse. Sure a famous person can get up and buy a Ferrari the next day. But this cannot go on for very long as the novelty of buying goods can loose it appeal if not always at least at times. And how sad not to be able to walk to the local shop to buy some milk or to be free enough to go for a walk somewhere.How sad not to be treated as a normal human being. All of this can play up on someone's mind possibly not in a direct and obvious way but subconsciously it could create problems. For even famous people are vulnerable and do not have all of the answers. Also they are often easily influenced and, given that they mostly exist in a middle class environment, they are influenced by a middle class view of the world.

Love to you all

Link to the thesis http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-040.....tation.pdf

alfredo3

Posted Sun Feb 9th, 2014 9:46pm Post subject: Katy-Sara Culling

I am extremely happy to say that a very famous actor, who suffer with bipolar disorder, has agree to write something about my book which will be included in the book. Not that the book will sell many copies, but it is nice to be helped by important people.

alfredo3

Posted Thu Apr 10th, 2014 4:10am Post subject: Katy-Sara Culling

Of course I forgot to mention that most of the money I make from my book on bipolar disorder goes to my local hospital, the mental health section to be precise (Gosford Hospital New South Wales). I am still thinking but I feel that giving 80% of all the money I make from the book is a good thing for the world needs people that give. I have told the publisher that I want to donate the money. I am poor but I have a roof on my head and enough food including a computer and a car. That is enough for me.