Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Baldrick

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 10:35pm Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
My Noble Lord Fry.

Stunningly good programme. Glad a second series has been commisioned already.

The one thing that spoils it, as an old Norfolk boy myself, are the shoddy attempts at a Norfolk accent by some of the actors.

As co-producer & resident of the vicinity, when did you here an accent like Ted's, the pub landlord, around Swaffham/ Market Shipborough
Only when someone of Ipswich parentage who was bought up in Gloucestershire by a Somerset born nanny visits the town.

There are some very good ones, Steve Pemberton, Tony Slattery & that bloke off London's Burning. Surely you could find actors who could all act?

I know its petty. I know it's just a programme & I know I should get out more, but it makes a change from my turnip studies.

Keep up the good work!

Your humble servant.
Baldrick.

Louise90

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 12:29am Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
What a lovely programme this is, a breath of fresh air! I've really enjoyed watching it! Agreed, one or two of the Norfolk accents are a bit laugheable, but hey, that's by the by! I'll still continue to enjoy watching it!

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 10:55pm Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
Norfolk people have accents???????????????????????????????????
Since when? I thought that the only people in england with accents were the Bristolians, the Manchesterians, yorkshiremen, and all that lot!

jemmo

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 5:31pm Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
Since when? I thought that the only people in england with accents were the Bristolians, the Manchesterians, yorkshiremen, and all that lot!

Oh yes - we all have regional accents.

Where I am, there are two predominant ones: Geordies (from Newcastle) and Wearside (from the old County Durham areas). Within those, there are quite a few more variants, which perhaps only become apparent when you actually live in an area for a while.

The 'southern' accent that is predominant in actors/actresses and is the 'accent' that non-UK people often associate with the England (as opposed to Scotland, Wales, Ireland) is often the product of the schools that people go to rather than where they live or are brought up. It used to be called 'The King's/Queen's English' or 'BBC English' , but I haven't heard it called those expressions for YEARS.

Two examples of the above are Stephen himself - and Hugh. Both went to Public schools which would have promoted the use of the 'Queen's English'. If they had stayed at home and gone to local schools, they probably would have had their local accent.

I can only say, 'probably' because there are, of course, many other factors to consider. The accent of one's parents is a contributing factor - as is the accent of one's friends.

There are some wonderful English accents !

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 6:09pm Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???

The 'southern' accent that is predominant in actors/actresses and is the 'accent' that non-UK people often associate with the England (as opposed to Scotland, Wales, Ireland) is often the product of the schools that people go to rather than where they live or are brought up. It used to be called 'The King's/Queen's English' or 'BBC English' , but I haven't heard it called those expressions for YEARS.

It's called Received Pronunciation now. I just call it BBC English. That's what I associate the accent with - the telly and films. Never heard it in real life.

There are even variations in the accent in Yorkshire between different areas and towns.

Assuming direct control...

trouser material

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 6:30pm Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???

A strong Norfolk accent is what it sounds like if you've ever heard 'Old Macdonald' sung properly. Well, properly, i.e with a Norfolk accent.

Bottom line, it makes you sound like a retard. A sugar beet chewing, dumb cluck oaf.

Terri

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 7:02pm Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
Oi can't read an' Oi can't write
But that don't really mat - er
Cuz Oi am frum the westcount'ree
An' Oi kin droive a tract - er.

Oh gosh, how I love to be stereo-typed by my accent ...

boffinbabe12

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 8:09pm Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
I thought that was just a farmer accent!

trouser material

Posted Thu May 10th, 2007 8:28am Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
There's lots of farms in Norfolk. And the West Country. So there's your answer.

Terri

Posted Thu May 10th, 2007 9:15am Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
Oh that's okay then, now I know why I talk like this!

Better turn in my job and go and live on a farm before I lose this rustic "charm" forever!

lol

jemmo

Posted Thu May 10th, 2007 10:13am Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
There's quite a good example of a Norfolk accent from this site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/videonation/voices_cyril.shtml

boffinbabe12

Posted Thu May 10th, 2007 9:14pm Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
I've never heard such a thing before! My eyes are opened to a whole new world!
Today i also found out that my Uncle's parents who i always thought were from Yorkshire just had strong accents from the area that I've grown up in... weird.

jemmo

Posted Fri May 11th, 2007 10:31am Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
I've never heard such a thing before! My eyes are opened to a whole new world!
Today i also found out that my Uncle's parents who i always thought were from Yorkshire just had strong accents from the area that I've grown up in... weird.

Begs a couple of questions....

a) Your Uncle's parents = your grandparents ? Or is he an uncle by marriage ?
b) Where did you grow up ?

Just being nosey.

boffinbabe12

Posted Fri May 11th, 2007 11:37pm Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
Uncle by marraige- I thought that could sound weird...
And I grew up here in the South East.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat May 12th, 2007 10:00am Post subject: Kingdom. Real Norfolk accents???
Very interesting, jemmo! Is it difficult to understand for a non-native speaker? That is always my greatest fear, to go somewhere in the UK only to find that I barely understand a word they are saying, makes me feel like a complete and utter idiot :-//

And what about the Norfolk accent (couldnĀ“t listen to the "accent sample"...) - I am really tempted to go there sometime, not to Swaffham (poor people, will get swamped with tourists anyway), somewhere along the coast, to enjoy the openness - just a bit of daydreaming for the time being...

If anyone watched Timewatch last night "Gladiator Graveyard", you could enjoy English being spoken with a thick Austrian accent X-D X-D
My accent is, according to my friend who is an English teacher, that of "someone who has been to a finishing school in Switzerland" (whatever that is supposed to mean...I have never dared ask her)

I like your accent, boffinbabe, and I just LOVE the Irish accent (ROI, that is)