Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Vespertine

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 11:51pm Post subject: Know the answers to May 17th Daily Telegraph cryptic xword?
Well, "plenary" was a revelation. Never heard of that one before and I was very grateful for it. The others...you see the problem with cryptic crosswords is that you may have an idea what the answer is, but you have to justify it to yourself 100%. Like "Peter is not at risk" = safe...yeah that makes sense of the 'not at risk' part, but how does Peter fit into it? Is there a Peter Safe who I've never heard of?

Exactly! I stay away from crosswords nowadays. I get all but one and then I just end up in a bad mood for the rest of the week X-D

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 11:55pm Post subject: Know the answers to May 17th Daily Telegraph cryptic xword?
That's your choice and I defend your decision even if I don't agree with it. But what I really don't get is the Sudoku craze. Doesn't that seem like a mind numbingly tedious pursuit. Numbers, numbers, numbers! There are infinite numbers of course, but they're predictable. Infinite words, however, is a joyful mystery. What do they mean? How do they sound? When are they appropriate?
The only fascinating properties about numbers are if they're primes or squares or cubes, which to me is as fascinating as the serial number on a train i.e NOT AT ALL!!!

Aoibheann

Posted Tue May 22nd, 2007 12:04am Post subject: Know the answers to May 17th Daily Telegraph cryptic xword?
You make cross words sound romantic almost.. i want to rush out and get one..

but then it will get very predictable.... i wont be able to do it and ill get angry and upset at myself.. then even more so for getting angry and upset over a fucking crossword.... ?!

tis a vicious circle i tells you...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 22nd, 2007 12:10am Post subject: Know the answers to May 17th Daily Telegraph cryptic xword?
Try a different type of crossword. Quizwords, for example. Show off your knowledge, and what you don't know you can look up. For a nice variety, try "Take a Crossword" magazine, published by the same people as the 'women's' magazine "Take a Break". There's even one with cryptic AND normal clues leading to the same answers. So you can complete it using the normal clues, then try to work out what the connection is with the cryptic clues. It could be a nice introduction to cryptics.
I was introduced to the Telegraph cryptic crossword by an older colleague at a language school in Wimbledon. He explained it so well that he was surrounded by other teachers at the coffee breaks all trying to work out clues. And we were a very mixed group in terms of age, ethnic origin, interests etc.

Vespertine

Posted Tue May 22nd, 2007 12:19am Post subject: Know the answers to May 17th Daily Telegraph cryptic xword?
That's your choice and I defend your decision even if I don't agree with it. But what I really don't get is the Sudoku craze. Doesn't that seem like a mind numbingly tedious pursuit. Numbers, numbers, numbers! There are infinite numbers of course, but they're predictable. Infinite words, however, is a joyful mystery. What do they mean? How do they sound? When are they appropriate?
The only fascinating properties about numbers are if they're primes or squares or cubes, which to me is as fascinating as the serial number on a train i.e NOT AT ALL!!!

X-D I don't understand sudoku either!