Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

RobertBruce

Posted Fri Mar 13th, 2009 2:18pm Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
On 3rd March 2009 the inaugural LaidOffCamp was held at San Francisco.

LaidOffCamp events are where unemployed peopled get the chance to gather under a single roof to meet and share ideas with experts about how to go about and find new jobs during this recession.

Networking is an essential element of the back to work process and LaidOffCamps are the perfect catalyst for unemployed people to create and greatly improve their opportunities to get themselves noticed instead of having their CVs binned by HR without so much as a cursory glance during the 1st CV cut. We want all to fly through to get interviewed and then offered a new job.

LaidOffCampUK is a chance for unemployed UK citizens to discuss topics in breakaway sessions led by experts that may include: living on an extreme budget, building your personal brand, creating the perfect CV, how to deal responsibly with your debt or how to be a freelance consultant and more.

This week Robert Bruce took the first steps to bring LaidOffCamp to the UK during May 2009.

LaidOffCampUK needs corporate, SME and volunteer help and calls on companies in UK to be sponsors and to rally to the support of the UK's unemployed millions by donating funds and their expertise to the creation of this event to try and change the bleak prospects of so many unemployed people in Britain.

Go see feedback on the San Francisco inaugural event.

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/03/techs-laid-off.html

http://cbs5.com/video/?id=47019@kpix.dayport.com

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10189218-93.html

http://laidoffcamp.com

http://chrishutchins.net/laidoffcamp-coming-sf/

http://tinyurl.com/bkv97m

LaidOffCampUK has a Twitter account at http:twitter.com/laidoffcampuk and a FaceBook page here http://tinyurl.com/d6utbp and invites any unemployed or newly self-employed person and potential sponsor to make contact to discuss sponsorship and attend LaidOffcampUK and to also volunteer to help organise this groundbreaking event in UK.

LaidOffCamp UK is non-profit. All sponsorship funds go tp pay venue and other costs related to holding the event.

Thanks for letting me take up a few moments of your time. I hope the LaidOffCamp concept is accepted and engaged by people who have been impacted by the events in UK leading to either their dismissal or redundancy.

Your help to spread the word about LaidOffCampUK will be very, very appreciated.

Many thanks and kindest regards

Robert Bruce
LaidOffCampUK

PamJH

Posted Fri Mar 13th, 2009 7:52pm Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
Good luck with this, Robert. As a laid-off person myself, I understand the point behind all of this.

RobertBruce

Posted Fri Mar 13th, 2009 10:47pm Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
Pam,

Get yourself over here to join us if you have nothing else to do in the meantime

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Mar 13th, 2009 11:03pm Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
There was a LaidOff Camp in Dallas/Fort Worth recently, it was highly attended, to put it mildly. Good luck with yours Robert.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

PamJH

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 12:50am Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
Pam,

Get yourself over here to join us if you have nothing else to do in the meantime

Well, I'd love to. Perhaps I'll have Ginj mail me over the water when she sends on the birthday card. We'll need a big box with holes in it, though. And maybe a magazine.

RobertBruce

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 12:59am Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
There was a LaidOff Camp in Dallas/Fort Worth recently, it was highly attended, to put it mildly. Good luck with yours Robert.

Tobias, you 'orrid little man, how can you tell me that LaidOffCamp DALLAS was so good? My cowboy boots are now too big and cannot prevent the shivvering nerves! X-D

Well, we'll just have to be quintessentialy British and play by the rules because we have and abide by rules and we also planted flags all over the world before anyone else thought it a fun thing to do. Y'see we are rather splendid organisers and administrators who create infrastructures every nation can't help but admire.

Our 'shows' are outrageously terrific too. Take Kew Gardens and the Chelsea Flower Show as a for instance. Quite the top drawer I'd venture.

And so believe me when I say that LaidOffCamp UK will not be topped by Dallas. No, we shan't be having that will we, what?

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 3:19am Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
Well, we'll just have to be quintessentialy British and play by the rules because we have and abide by rules and we also planted flags all over the world before anyone else thought it a fun thing to do. Y'see we are rather splendid organisers and administrators who create infrastructures every nation can't help but admire.

Yes I've heard...repeatedly, and in fact you could say I'm well acquainted with the British rules book, Dad is English

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

RobertBruce

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 11:08am Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
Yes I've heard... Dad is English

So there you see, the rules at play - the best of the best are Brits ergo you too!

Now. Where were we..........Oh yes, the Dallas LaidOffCamp

Yes I am so proud that the Dallas show was such a success.

Everyone worked so hard to make it one and richly deserve the plaudits. UK now has a benchmark to aim for and will be eagerly learning from the Dallas washup notes.

Congratulations to both San Francisco and Dallas. Both are hard acts to follow.

Maxx England

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 11:52am Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
Give me a time, place, we might find a foot of the bill support band for you

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

RobertBruce

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 12:11pm Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
Give me a time, place....

I'm needing to find the 'place' quicklike and as a clueto waht might be acceptable the LaidOffCamp events that occured in San Francisco and Dallas were put on at venues with wi-fi available.

So far Fergus has come up with a good suggestion for a venue in London where the BarCamp was held. And I attended great conferences at an Earls Court hotel. However we need not focus of venues that are bespoke for conferences. Need to broaden the outlook and also not necessarily limit the city/town where it needs to be held provided transport access is great from all over UK.

I want more suggestions. So if anyone reading this knows of great venues that can hold 400+ people, has got it wi-fi'd and has food & drink serving facilities, I want to know.

Email me at uk-admin@laidoffcamp.com

Maxx England

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 12:50pm Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
The word "camp" is involved. One therefore asks if camping is required. This implies the use of venues with grass for the tents, toilets for the tentists.

Is there a list of schools that will open up for this kind of thing in the holidays? They have the advantage of big halls, kitchens and being urban/suburban in location. WestMidlands around the NEC for maximum road, rail, air access. Schools in Solihull, Sheldon and surrounding area.

RobertBruce

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 1:26pm Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
Click the url link below to see the CBS news video about the inaugural LaidOffCamp at San francisco a few days ago on 3rd March 2009.

http://tinyurl.com/cnxrft

LaidOffCamp is not a camp with tents at a farmers field or beside a gurgling brook. The venue needs whiteboards, projectors, be wi-fi'd and suitable for attendees to plugin their laptops or notebooks.

Maxx England

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 11:52am Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
An out of term technology college then. Sort of narrows it down. I wish you luck.

Nitro

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 7:10pm Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
The entire thing sounds like such a great idea. Are the majority of participants people laid off from the IT or 'white collar' career fields field by any chance? I'm just curious how many different career fields are, so far, represented.

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 5:29pm Post subject: LaidOffCamp UK - May/June 2009
I have 2 friends who attended the Dallas event, and from what I've heard, though it's open to anyone, it seems to be attracting primarily white collar folks, and people who are accustomed to networking. Apparently people were also showing up thinking that it was some sort of job fair, and left disappointed.

How's it coming along Robert, any luck finding a venue?

Walt Whitman