Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

CEPalmer

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 1:00am Post subject: Last reads
Hi.

I am currently reading Clement Freud's autobiography "Freud Ego." He has had an extremely interesting life which makes for an extremely amusing read.

Before that I read "One, None and a Hundred Thousand," by Luigi Pirandello. I loved this book as it deals with the different ways we deal with different people, the various facades we use to acommodate the needs of others and ease our dealings with them. I love this book with a passion and feel that it's definately worth reading for anyone interested in the way we percieve ourselves as well as how we try to convey this.

Shyamz

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 2:03am Post subject: Last reads
I've just finished "After Dark" by Haruki Murakami. The fact that it seems impossible for him to turn out a dud book even after all these years amazes me.

Before that it was "The Good Women of China" by Xinran,

and before that the autobiography of Yukio Mishima.
Short...very short...yet almost completly inpenetrable.
So deep and philosophical for a biog...much more so than most people would have been bothered to do, and shows how intelligent he must have been.

The most dense, hard-to-read less-than-200 page book I've ever attempted to read. And that's the English translation with all the Japanese-specific cultural references and phrases altered to make sense to us westerners.
He must have been an absolute genius that guy. I'm going to try and find it at my local library and have another go at it, as I'm truly interested in him as an author, and I didn't finish it last time.
It could simply have been because I wasn't expecting it to be so deep for a biography read, that I couldn't get into it sat in a coffee shop before work having a quick read of it!

RomanticSquare

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 12:04pm Post subject: Last reads
I've just read 'Joshua Spassky' by Gwendoline Riley, which I'd highly recommend. It's short in length and very personal in style, so maybe not to everyone's taste; although if you "get" it, it's the sort of book to really strike a chord with you.. The author lives (I'm fairly certain of this) in Manchester and is a big Morrissey fan, which is quite clear (at least to me) from her writing. So definitely a 'marmite' book of sorts :D, but certainly worth looking into.

Last week I read 'Oranges are not the only fruit' by Jeanette Winterson, which now I'm keen to see the film of.. And before *that*, I read 'Making History'

I must point out, I'm not usually so fortunate in finding so much time to read, which is a real shame. So that's just one of the reasons why Christmas holidays are a real blessing..the promise of a QI annual being another

(And my first post; hello all )

Ernest Worthing

Posted Sat Jan 5th, 2008 2:24pm Post subject: Last reads
I've been quite into Simon Armitage lately. His dramatisation of Homer's Oddysey is very good, and definitely makes me want to read his Euripides 'modernisation'. Rather than bringing the actually story into a modern context, he just gave the language a bit of an update and changed the plot a little, which didn't ruin it at all, but simply added his own style while managing to retain the Homeric feeling. He's a great writer, though, and I'd recommend his poetry to anybody. Tyrannosaurus Rex Versus the Corduroy Kid is one of my favourite collections.