Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 11:39pm Post subject: Leaving
You're about to leave your high school
They said it's 'The happiest time of your life'
But really, you were stabbed at 12
And now they're twisting the knife.

You know you need your times tables
And how to read and write.
But the rest of it alls just useless junk
And of your lifes path, you're losing sight.

Since when would an electrician need to know
when Krushchev took the reigns.
And trigonometry's the last on my mind
When I'm dodging through motorway lanes.

I have no plans to be a composer
So what use to me is a crotchet?
And I can't use a 'meander' as a come-back
When a thug screams at me 'oi, watch it'.

So pack up your Pis, your Shake and your Speares,
Your Bills, Abrahams and Ronalds.
And zip them all up in a neat little bag,
And drag it down to McDonalds.

My feelings about leaving high school.

WhyGenTom

Posted Tue Mar 25th, 2008 12:20am Post subject: Leaving
aint it the truth.

3 years since I left school and I'm yet to have used my knowledge of the biological structure of plants... shocker? lol.

you summed up a lot of truths in that =]

LeeRae

Posted Tue Mar 25th, 2008 12:36am Post subject: Leaving
I'm hoping to become an actor. Sometimes I sit in maths and wonder why I'd need circle theorems in such a profession...

Britannicus

Posted Wed Mar 26th, 2008 12:45am Post subject: Leaving
I'm going into wildlife studies, I've had two years of biology, and I haven't the slightest idea what makes up a cell. Biology teachers are morons. Plus I don't give a damn. Shh don't tell anyone

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

LeeRae

Posted Sat Apr 5th, 2008 5:42pm Post subject: Leaving
Hehe

I'll keep it between you and me.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe knowledge is a brilliant thing to have, but the education system just isn't the way to do it. Water is also a good thing to have, but when you get it poured down your throat against your will you can drown very quickly.

Britannicus

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 1:43am Post subject: Leaving
Oh, I know exactly what you mean. If people are genuinely curious, and if they're given the opportunity to learn, then they will. But often, if that first crucial step is skipped -- and as I said about my attitude towards cell biology -- they just won't give a damn and the material just gets stuffed down their throats anyway. Subjects become "hard" and "tedious" when you don't care to know about them... Therefore, when students ask "why is this important?", teachers should think long and hard about just how they answer. Be honest, don't be too brief, and for heaven's sake, don't bring up how engineers or the doctors or the whatevers will be using it til the day they die. Unless you're actually teaching a class full of engineers, then that is just a lazy excuse... EVERYTHING is interesting. You just gotta be given the opportunity to see it.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Romy

Posted Thu Apr 10th, 2008 7:59pm Post subject: Leaving
I wanna be a comedian or actress and this is so accurate, luckily im away to move into third year so i have some control over my subject choices. But even when they teach you things like history in school , i swear to god the last 9 years of my life the only history lesson we got was World War II repeated over and over again. If it weren't for QI i would be like...well all the other girls in my class. completely clueless.

LeeRae

Posted Sat Apr 12th, 2008 6:33pm Post subject: Leaving
I wanna be a comedian or actress and this is so accurate, luckily im away to move into third year so i have some control over my subject choices. But even when they teach you things like history in school , i swear to god the last 9 years of my life the only history lesson we got was World War II repeated over and over again. If it weren't for QI i would be like...well all the other girls in my class. completely clueless.

Oh I know exactly what you mean!
I almost didn't take history for GCSE because it was 'Modern World History', meaning 2 years of the world wars. Surprisingly, we haven't actually touched upon the world wars, which is bad, because those are much more interesting than what we've done.

lol8ta_120

Posted Tue Apr 13th, 2010 4:03am Post subject: Leaving

This looks like a very cool discussion. Too bad I missed it.

I no longer believe that we can keep silent. We never really do, mind you. In one way or another, we articulate what has happened to us through the kind of people we become.
---Azar Nafisi