Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 7:08pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Marijuana. Legalize it, regulate it, tax it. The proceeds could be used to pay for health care, and it would be taking a giant chunk out of the illegal drug cartels cash cow. Thoughts?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

katysara

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 7:16pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
I voted yes. I would keep it away from young minds (due to schizophrenia link) but with regulation I don't see why say people 18+ or maybe even 21+ shouldn't have the freedom to use it and know they are getting safe pot. I'd love to have a legal spliff of an evening. As things stand, I abstain.

Totally agree with the tax going towards healthcare rather than drug dealers.

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

gjhsu

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 7:27pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Ugh

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 8:30pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Ok, care to elaborate? I only ask because I want to see if the argument against outweighs the obvious (to me) benefits of legalization.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Katrina

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 9:53pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
I don't smoke, and I reeeally hate being around potheads (not people who smoke occasionally, but real potheads), but I hate being around a lot of things/people, and I don't really have a problem with people doing whatever they want in private, as long as they're not hurting anything (i.e. driving, working, watching children, etc.). I feel the same way about prostitution: when things can be regulated and taxed, all the better for the economy and overcrowded jails. So yeah, I voted "yes."

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

exoskeleton

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 11:31pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
I definitely support the use of marijuana for treating chronic pain, if it gives people relief. in terms of recreational use, I would never smoke anyway, and all the people I know who want to smoke figure out a way to do it regardless. I don't think I'd like pot smoking allowed in bars though, or really any commercial establishments.

sockdolager.

PamJH

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 11:59pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Agree with everything you said, Toby.

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 6:29am Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
I actually disagree despite my crazy liberal status.

Too many people I know have had such horrible issues with marijuana, The fact its illegal is the only thing keeping my little brother from going off the deep end.

I really don't disagree with much on a liberal agenda but I am crazy against marijuana.

Although I do think we should tax the hell out of somethings for health care.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 6:48am Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
I just want to say that I'm not trying to convert anyone , I just want some to hear some feedback on this and I appreciate all y'all taking the time.
I get what you're saying ES, and I understand that it comes from very personal experience because it's your brother, but I just don't see much difference between it and alcohol, and I'm a bit puzzled about why one is legal and the other isn't.

Walt Whitman

Laur1991

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 9:45am Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Hm. :S

My brain tells me yes, but my gut tells me no. It would give the economy a boost, especially here (we've got the famed BC bud) and it would decrease crime...

But pot is so... ew. I (and my lungs) just don't like it. Also, what if the whole slippery slope thing happens? If pot becomes legal, how long before more dangerous drugs become legal?

I know! I'm a wimp!

katysara

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 6:51pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Hm. :S

If pot becomes legal, how long before more dangerous drugs become legal?

I know! I'm a wimp!

In many ways you are right Laur1991, coz personally I would legalize and regulate the whole damn lot. It would make them a lot less dangerous and almost eliminate crime, and work wonders for the health services everywhere... But that's just my opinion.

(But you are not a wimp!)

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 7:59pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Granted Toby and tbh I feel quite the same way about alcohol and the fact that it is legal. I am so not a fan of either one but to each their own.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Nitro

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 10:41pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Legalize it.

I have no particular feelings for the plant one way or the other. It has many good uses and hemp was used, and still used, for many things. It takes less land to grow than cotton. And no, I don't need to be educated about the difference between marijuana with THC and without X-D

I also believe in the autonomy of the individual, which includes acceptance for the outcome of choices made by that indivudal. I do not like the idea of a government dictating what anyone does with their own body ( with certain rationale provisions such as criminal activity ( murder, pedophiliea etc ), mental illness or handicap in some way, so long as these are verified and not just assumed ).

Given what I've seen of human behavior, I think if more people WERE stoned they'd be a helluva lot less annoying or annoyed X-D

There are many people who lead functional, productive lives who also like to smoke a plant called marijuana. I don't believe they should be villified as crimnals via 'the law'.

In the 70's, there was quite a bit of talk about legalizing marijuana. So much so that the tobacco companies already had packaging in place. It never materialized.

Like alcohol, it should have age stipulations ( I would say 18, because at 18 you can die fighting in a war and you can vote - if you're allowed to do THAT, the least you should be allowed to do is buy your own beer or, in this case, joint without a bunch of worry-warts ready to pounce on you ). Also, like alcohol, there will be minors who figure out ways to get at it. That's Life kids X-D

Really? Wow.

Maren

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 4:40pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
I agree - legalize it.
(And Legalization would keep the consumers away from the market for hard drugs. )

fryfan20

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 10:39pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
I voted yes, it is here already legal to use it, buy it, sell it, but do to a strange compromise it isn't legal to grow it (only for own use your allowed to have 5 plants) so all the stuff that is legal comes from illegal plantations.
a lot of politic party's do want to legalise it but others (the couple that have been in power way to long) feel nothing for it and would probably want to make it illegal again. so the status still stays the same, and in my opinion that is just insane.

so make it all the way legal here, and everywhere else also make it legal.
the dealers that sell the stuff there now also have the hard drugs in there other pocked. that should be reason enough me thinks

I am what I am