Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maxx England

Posted Sat Jun 27th, 2009 6:01pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
If you legalize, you can regulate varieties, chemical composition and strength, and the bureaucracy is self supporting through taxation.

And by taking away one corner of the drug industries' income, you make it less profitable. You also remove a route into the harder drugs for some people. Others will just do them anyway, but my belief is there will be less use, so less crime to fund the use.

There is, of course, only one way to find out if the theory works.....

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Nitro

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 4:48am Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
I kind of think one reason it won't be legalized is just the competing industries. Like the paper industry. They have millions invested in thousands of acres of land with paper trees already growing etc.

I hate it when people say marijuana is a 'gateway' drug. Bullshit. If there's a gateway drug anywhere, it's alcohol. But heroin/crack/cocain/meth abuse/addiction is not a default result of using either pot or booze. It's just one of the weakest arguments at hand for keeping pot ( and hash ) criminalized.

Maybe if people grew up and accepted fucking responsibility for the consequences of their own choices instead of looking for a monstor to blame when those choices go bad, there'd be less interference by the gov into the private lives of all of us X-D

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 5:17am Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
I hate it when people say marijuana is a 'gateway' drug. Bullshit. If there's a gateway drug anywhere, it's alcohol. But heroin/crack/cocain/meth abuse/addiction is not a default result of using either pot or booze. It's just one of the weakest arguments at hand for keeping pot ( and hash ) criminalized.

The gateway argument is made even more ridiculous by the fact that prescription pain killers obtained legally are currently the biggest drug problem in the U.S., so go figure.

Maybe if people grew up and accepted fucking responsibility for the consequences of their own choices instead of looking for a monstor to blame when those choices go bad, there'd be less interference by the gov into the private lives of all of us X-D

Tell it.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

PamJH

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 5:22am Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll

Hear, hear

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 5:31am Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Thanks Pam & Tobi...but I hope no one thinks I'm a brute in person...

sometimes I just really stink at conveying things in writing and ought to remember that more often...

:-//

Really? Wow.

whatonearth

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 10:17am Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
A wise person pointed out that any drugs policy where alcohol is legal and drugs like cannabis are illegal is no evidence-based policy.

Check out this article about the world's largest ever study on cocaine use...which was never published: http://transform-drugs.blogspot.com/2009/06/report.....o-see.html

Funny that. It's telling in itself that the largest ever study only interviewed 311 cocaine users, over half of which were in one city.

Pleeeeeeeeeease don't think I'm saying that people's lives can't be destroyed by cocaine. Please

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 9:14am Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Kinda off topic but kinda not. My little brothers work just introduced random drug screening for things including marijuana. Man he and his friends were mad! But if he lost his job due to his pot smoking maybe he'd scale back a smidge. Bright kid, shame he prefers to spend all night smoking and watching "The Deadliest Catch" on DVR.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

PamJH

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 2:39pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Thanks Pam & Tobi...but I hope no one thinks I'm a brute in person...

sometimes I just really stink at conveying things in writing and ought to remember that more often...

:-//

I can't think why anybody would think you're a brute. You're blunt, yes, but not a brute.

It is all about taking responsibility. If I drink or smoke myself into a stupor, it's my fault. It's not anyone else's fault. I get very annoyed when people use the plea, "I'm sorry, but I was drunk (or high or whatever)." Take responsibility for pete's sake.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 5:12pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
It's a sort of battle cry for me when having a night out or suchlike, "alcohol may be involved", but I've always accepted responsibility for whatever I did; and, remarkably, I've avoided most of the disasters of youth. The survival instinct runs deep in some of us

Back to legalising grass, I stand firm in my opinion that control of strength and psychotic ingredients can only be achieved by having the stuff out in the open and taxed. I know, personally, people who have had their lives directly or indirectly wrecked by skunk induced psychosis and that wouldn't happen if skunk was eradicated. Making it illegal does nothing except criminalise ordinary people who just want to get mellow. Let's try something different, the law here or anywhere else is just not working.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 6:31pm Post subject: Legalization of Marijuana Poll
Like I said at the beginning of this thread, legalize it, regulate it and tax it. It boggles my mind to think that we're enabling these drug cartels and all of their illegal activities by giving them billions of tax free dollars, not to mention the lives lost and the amounts spent in the fight against them. My state boarders Mexico and I see almost daily what takes place because of this and I'm telling y'all it's ridiculous.

Rant over.......for now X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman