Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Mar 16th, 2008 2:00pm Post subject: Les Dawson
Let's hear it for a much missed comedy genius.

His extraordinary ability to deliberately play the piano badly.

The way he turned an established game show into a brilliant parody of itself

Not to mention his masterful vocabulary, which he used to create wonderful bathos like this:

"I was sat at the bottom of the garden a week ago, smoking a reflective cheroot, thinking about this and that - mostly that - and I just happened to glance at the night sky, and I marvelled at the millions of stars glistening like little pieces of quicksilver thrown carelessly onto black velvet. In awe, I watched the waxen moon ride across the zenith of the heavens like an amber chariot towards the void of infinite space wherein the tethered bolts of Jupiter and Mars hang forever festooned in all their orbital majesty, and as I looked at all this, I thought to myself, 'I must put a roof on this lavatory.'"

Plus great one-liners:

"I said to my wife, 'Treasure' - I always call her Treasure, she reminds me of something that's just been dug up. "

I even recall some tribute programme where Mark Thomas spoke highly of him and particularly his skill in moving swiftly from poetic language to a bathetic punchline.

So anyone else remember and/or like the man?

The Oracle

Posted Sun Mar 16th, 2008 9:23pm Post subject: Les Dawson
I am a really big fan of Les Dawson. One of my favs of his work is Sissy or was that the other actors role. Anyway I loved the way he would mouth about problems down there or other "embarrassing" things, and the pushing up of the very ample bosom. Great laughs. The piano skit too was always a good laugh, it was his ability to remain straight faced with that hang dog look and tell those very funny tales. Not many have that talent. I also like Tommy Cooper. Hi Ho Sliver away X-D

Shyamz

Posted Fri Mar 21st, 2008 7:24pm Post subject: Les Dawson
People forget about all the books he wrote too, don't they?

I'll always like his work. Even if it's considered a bit "unfasionable" to like the older generation of comedians, many were great, and were very importiant to British comedy.

IanG

Posted Sun Jul 20th, 2008 8:38pm Post subject: Les Dawson
Forget fashion, funny is funny.

Shyamz

Posted Mon Jul 21st, 2008 2:38am Post subject: Les Dawson
Agreed.

ratoutofhell

Posted Mon Jul 21st, 2008 8:55pm Post subject: Les Dawson
I have a vague memory of seeing him on some trendy panel game with a bunch of much younger comedians, coming out with some tale of woe about an endangered species in Morecambe Bay (details elude me, sorry!) which gradually became more and more preposterous so that the younger comics gradually realised they were being had, and by the end they were helpless with laughter. Pure genius.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

Shyamz

Posted Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 5:20pm Post subject: Les Dawson
Wow, that sounds good, I'd like to have seen that.