Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

piholland

Posted Sat Sep 19th, 2009 12:15pm Post subject: Liar

Hi Stephen & fans

Always been a big SF fan, and picked up the first of his novels for my holiday. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed, while its a lovely crafted book with an interesting plot, I think most of it went over my head as its clearly written from a public school point of view. Nothing wrong with that but the cover gave no real indication it would be a world totally alien to me.

Was Stephen releasing alot of sexual literary frustration in his first novel? I'm fairly open minded but also straight as straight table leg, the revelations of what goes on in public school life has left me shocked, I now know why pubic school educated folk are so uptight!

My point is a better description of the content or a more relevant picture may have helped me make a more informed choice, a bit ironic when he criticises book cover literary quotes on this site! (The quotes on this book were way off)

Keep up the good work, may not be trying your second novel just yet!

P

nana

Posted Tue Sep 29th, 2009 9:56pm Post subject: Liar

Maybe you should try reading 'Moab Is My Washpot' - Stephen's autobiography of his first 20 years. This is only my opinion, but I really found it helpful to read 'Moab' before the other books, because I felt I understood Stephen a whole lot better after reading it. If you were shocked by 'The Liar', you would probably be shocked by 'Moab', but if you are a 'big SF fan', and if you keep an open mind, I think you would be moved by this wonderful book. I came away from it feeling deeply privileged and moved to have read such an intimate and honest self-portrayal. It made me laugh and cry and it spoke to me on a deeply personal level. It really is worth a try.

IdeaCollector

Posted Sun Oct 4th, 2009 1:22am Post subject: Liar

Yes do read "Moab is My Washpot" it certainly helps with a bit of context even though the Liar is fiction.

But omg it's amazing fiction...it blew my mind so badly that I would stay awake at night thinking about it.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Deejaydoubleyou

Posted Sun Oct 11th, 2009 10:53pm Post subject: Liar

Hi there. I am just getting into reading Stephen's books after listening to "The Stars Tennis Balls". I have just downloaded the first 3 episodes on "The Dongle" and read up on the characters, which state that Donald has previously been in "The Liar". I should actually clarify that I am LISTENING to his books as I prefer the audiobook versions. Which leads me to ask this question; Can anyone provide me with a link to download the audiobook of "The Liar"? Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com only seem to have paperback versions. Any I can't seem to locate it on SF.com store either.
Any help is appreciated.

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Oct 14th, 2009 2:28am Post subject: Liar

I do not know about downloading, and I wouldn't be surprised if such a product isn't available. here is one way you can listen to it, although I realize a cassette may not be exactly what you're looking for: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liar-Complete-Unabridged-S.....amp;sr=8-2

sockdolager.

Deejaydoubleyou

Posted Sat Oct 17th, 2009 4:48am Post subject: Liar

Thanks for the reply. You're right, cassette is not the way I wanted to go, besides the quality and outdatedness of the medium, I live in Canada and think I can not buy from Amazon.co.uk. At least the last time I tried I was denied. Surely there must be a digital version somewhere?

Jigsee

Posted Sat Oct 24th, 2009 11:23am Post subject: Liar

Hello, everybody! I've got a problem! I live in Russia and not able to purchase Stephen's books in English, but I adore him! What should I do?? Any Suggestions

Jigsee

Posted Sat Oct 24th, 2009 11:26am Post subject: Liar

And, by the way, is it true, that the screenversion of The Liar with Nicolas Hoult is coming soon?

exoskeleton

Posted Sun Oct 25th, 2009 10:44pm Post subject: Liar

Jigsee said:
Hello, everybody! I've got a problem! I live in Russia and not able to purchase Stephen's books in English, but I adore him! What should I do?? Any Suggestions

do you mean that you wouldn't purchase them in English because you would rather read them translated, or you can't find the book in English anywhere?
if it's the latter, you might be able to get it through a website called the book depository, which has free shipping worldwide for lots of books, including all of Stephen's major ones (novels.) here's a link: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=Stephen%20Fry

sockdolager.

thimothy

Posted Mon Nov 15th, 2010 6:52pm Post subject: Liar

It was during my college days that I read “The Liar”. It deals with the life of Adrian Healey. I cannot agree with what is written here about this novel. In my view it is a wonderful book. Stephen has brilliantly succeeded in portraying the life of a gay. I admit that the book is dark. But it is a realistic portrayal of the struggles of a gay. I would recommend everyone to read this book which is Fry’s masterpiece. I heard that a movie is going to be made based on that.