Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

sf

Posted Thu Jun 27th, 2013 1:56pm Post subject: Lithium

Hello there,
First of all: Amazing documentary. It helped me realize that life is a ride with ups and downs and that I rather take the rollercoaster than the kiddy train. Now I'm off Lithium and free again to fail and learn from my mistakes.
I want to contribute with a "crazy" idea:
Let's learn from a computer:
CPU (in order processing) -> Left brain
GPU (out of order processing) -> Right brain
RAM -> short-term Memory
Harddisk -> long-term Memory
Motherboard -> "veins" or metabolism... or whatever
So what does the PC when the CPU or GPU overheat? It increases the fan speed or decreases power to the system so that the system can cool down.
That's why I like to keep a cool head

But how do we decrease power? I think Lithium does that. I think it "slows down" the whole body and therefore also the brain. That's why you get fat, tired and stable (but also more boring )

Jeff Truesdell

Posted Thu Jun 27th, 2013 5:24pm Post subject: Lithium

Looking at it as a computer is an interesting way of looking at it sf but it doesn't always work that easily for me. I can keep repeating "It's all in my head and I'm in control of my head." But often times my head is in control of me. I was about 14 years old when I was diagnosed with Manic Depression and now at 32 it's still as tough as when I was 14.

I'm hoping to clean up, get off the meds, find a good job, and learn how to cope with the downs and ups of this horrid disease.

Jeff Truesdell

Here's to Katy Sara Culling, Stephen Fry, and all of us coping with this disease.

sf

Posted Fri Jun 28th, 2013 3:27pm Post subject: Lithium

I'll share a bit of my story too:

Major depression late in 2008, major manic episode early 2009 (major on my scale, but maybe minor for someone else). Then again depression late 2009 and got diagnosed with depression, got anti-depressant meds, they kicked me right again in another manic episode. Got diagnosed with bipolar. Got treated (first Lamotrigine, later Lithium and Seroquel).

I slowly "eased out" of the meds starting January this year, got a dog (whom I walk 3 times a day... no excuses) in February and have stopped taking meds altogether in April. So I'm off the drugs for about 3 months, it hasn't been easy and there's a good chance that I have to get back into the "Game of Meds" if it is getting out of hand. Right now I sleep enough which is a good sign for me, so I think I'm on a good path.
That's a short version.

If you want the long version, maybe we can skype/hangout/teamspeak whatever, but I'm a bit write-lazy. I'd like to hear more about your story too, because I always want to learn more about this bipolar "thingy". You can send me a PM if you want to.
When I started with medication I knew that this was a necessity for that time because I was not able to handle the situation.

Now I want to reply on your post:
"it's all in my head and I'm in control of my head". How can you control your head? The head can't control the head, so maybe use your body. My first counselor told me (that was ~2007, before the diagnosis) that when my head gets out of control (that time depression): "Take a long walk at a fast pace -> Fresh clean air and mild cardio exercise"
I knew he was right, but nevertheless never really did it. Now I've got a dog and have to