Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maxx England

Posted Sun Aug 2nd, 2009 8:10pm Post subject: Local music events
Just sticking this one in to a, let anyone interested and in the area come along and throw fruit (please remove from cans first), and b, give a thread for news about gigs that might be of interest to members who actually live close to them.

So: Tower Of Song, Cotteridge, Birmingham UK, Thursday Aug 6th, blues jam from 20:30.

Then Red Lion, Shirley, Solihull (edge of Birmingham for the unknowing), 20:30 Friday Aug 21st, blues jam again.

Maxx in attendance, red leather jacket and yellow l/h Strat.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Sun Aug 2nd, 2009 10:56pm Post subject: Local music events
I'll get a group from the U.S. and we'll be right over.

Desdemona

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 12:37am Post subject: Local music events

i'll see if i can be there specially the shirley one [=
i'll be the gothic kid, [=

Skip Life and come with me?

Maxx England

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 7:48pm Post subject: Local music events

Just reminding you all in the area, 21st of August, Red Lion, Stratford Road, Shirley. We'll be in the function room. We hope you'll enjoy us, because if you don't, well, we're just going to play anyway.

Maxx England

Posted Mon Aug 24th, 2009 7:35pm Post subject: Local music events

Wednesday, 26th of August, Brainstorm on again at The Old Crown, Digbeth, Birmingham. Creaks into motion about 8:30. I'll be there, red leather jacket and lefty Strat, displaying my inadequacies for all to see.

All welcome, friendly atmosphere. All sorts there, some regulars without problems, some of us living with our particular demons, others are carers; but very important to note, no badges, no distinctions, you're there as a human being to have a fine old time.

Maxx England

Posted Wed Aug 26th, 2009 11:51am Post subject: Local music events

Just flagging it again. Going to be fun, turn up, play some blues, maybe jam with Wayne and let his mind wander while I lay down a groove.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Aug 28th, 2009 1:15pm Post subject: Local music events

Trying, with Percy The Wonderant, to get a weekend low intensity blues get together off the ground local to me. Atherstone, probably. It'll be on a campsite ate the back of a pub, we think. Date to be arranged.

Maxx England

Posted Mon Sep 7th, 2009 5:45pm Post subject: Local music events

Tonight, live at the Village Inn, Moseley, Birmingham, acoustic open mic. Featuring Maxx & his mate Clive. 8:30 start time.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Sep 8th, 2009 7:49pm Post subject: Local music events

We got 2 numbers instead of 3 as the schedule ran slow, but we made them work for us. John Lee Hooker's "Dimples" and the Johnny Cash "Folsom Prison". Played with energy, tightness and Clive's good strong voice.

Next outing will be at Swanage Blues Festival , 2/3/4 October. We'll be playing at the Red Lion open mics and the White Horse jams, as well as listening to many and various bands and artists. Alcohol may be involved.

To note: if you are anywhere on England's south coast and get the chance to see Johm Crampton perform (he'll be on at the Purbeck), do it. Youtube just doesn't come anywhere close to capturing the demonic steam train energy of his playing. We may well drop in and see him. Yet again.

Nitro

Posted Wed Sep 9th, 2009 4:51am Post subject: Local music events

Maxx, none of this answers the truly important question of..

When are you going to come play in an near me?

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Wed Sep 9th, 2009 11:44am Post subject: Local music events

I believe there may be some difficulty over transport to your location. The logical way to do it is go back in time, wait for Cromwell to deport me free of charge as a dissident or vagrant to the Colonies, and wait for a while until you turn up.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 6:29pm Post subject: Local music events

Gigs coming up in October and November. Dates to be published. In the meantime, Swanage 2/3/4 October, Blues Festival. If you're within reach and can find the time (and accommodation), come and enjoy. All but one event free, many different styles played so if you want a change, it's there somewhere.

Maxx England

Posted Thu Oct 1st, 2009 6:30pm Post subject: Local music events

Off tomorrow to that jewel of the Jurassic Coast, Swanage, to play music and reduce the European Cider Lake. I shall stand outside the de luxe chocolate shop there for all the ladies here and beam ecstatic nasal thoughts to them.

Maxx England

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 9:34pm Post subject: Local music events

The festival: open mic Friday, poor sound and Clive's guitar didn't like the journey so we didn't do as well as we'd have liked. Friday night, saw John Crampton at the Purbeck, if you get the chance along the south coast, go and enjoy him, but be prepared to dance; he gets into your spine. Got to bed late, too long without sleep and overindulgence in alcohol meant poor physical condition on Saturday, but went and busked on Swanage Station (it's a steam railway preservation line) where me, Jakey Vimto and John McClean raised £17 in 2 hours for the festival funds. Off to the open mic, a bit better but still not where we wanted to be with the sound.

Saw Robin Bibi on the night, great performer. Sunday open mic a bit better but still not right, then off to the jam session at the White Horse. Supposed to be 2 till 5, ended up 3 till 7. It just got better and better and better. I ended up playing for over an hour, along with another guitarist. Singers and harmonica players came and went, we thundered along doing our best to give the the best backing we knew how. It ended up being some sort of telepathy, people putting the right notes, and only the right notes in right places.

You can tell if you're playing halfway right when the uninterested at the back of the room are tapping their feet, etc, and you're doing it good when they start dancing. There was nobody at the back of the room, they were all jammed up against the barrier and we'd got hold of their motor centres. Stunning.

Sunday night, we went up to the Grand Hotel for the organiser, Steve Darrington, and his band to finish the weekend off. I danced with a nice lady, Clive actually "went for a walk" with her. They seemed happy enough afterwards.

Home on Monday, knackered but sort of stoned from theSunday afternoon, the euphoria holding off my personal black dog for a coule of days.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Oct 9th, 2009 11:02pm Post subject: Local music events

Video finally surfaced on Youtube from our community festival. The bass player was 100 miles away with a broken down van, so Somebody with a red shirt had to play the low notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch9E-TSM6jg&feature=player_embedded