Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

najabat

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 7:38am Post subject: London 2012 (Not really Stephen Fry-related, but who knows?)
I am interested to hear from all you lovely Londoners (and generally people from UK) about the upcoming Olympics.

I've been following some "official" links and information sources, but I'd like to know: what are your thoughts and feelings about preparations and the rest?

I, personally, think it will be amazing!

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Laur1991

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 1:02pm Post subject: London 2012 (Not really Stephen Fry-related, but who knows?)
Well, I'm no Londoner, but I'm a Vancouverite! And the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics are just a few months away! I am SO STOKED.

Things I'm excited about:
-Having the world come to my city (although traffic will be pretty brutal, and I don't think the Skytrain will ever be able to handle all the new traffic)
-Perhaps being in the opening ceremonies! (I auditioned, but am not holding my breath)
-Seeing the GOLD medal round of curling!!!
-University will be closed during the Olympic games!

Things I'm worried about:
-Some terrorist attack!
-The weather not cooperating, and it raining the whole time on the mountains. (This is VERY likely too :()
- Vancouver getting a bad rep if some disastrous thing partakes.
- "The Big One" earthquake hits. (Although I'm constantly in fear of that anyways).
-The opening ceremonies sucking. (We aren't going to be as good as China!!)

But overall, it's a very exciting time for us here in Vancouver, and in all of Canada!! You guys across the ocean have a very interesting journey coming your way! And be prepared to see your Olympic 2012 logo on EVERYTHING.
(I'm so sick of seeing that little inukshuk on all my stuff).

najabat

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 4:56pm Post subject: London 2012 (Not really Stephen Fry-related, but who knows?)
Hi there,

Sorry-of course, Vancouver comes first. I am just not a fan of winter sports... but I am a fan of Vancouver and British Columbia! I've been to Vancouver a few years ago, and you have a beautiful city!

Has Skytrain been renovated recently? I remember hearing something about that at the time.

Please don't worry about disasters and attacks. Everything will be just fine. As far as rain, I've lived in Seattle, so I hear you about that. I have to say I love rain, but I can see that it would be a nuisance during sports competitions. And no need to compare with China. X-D Nobody would care, plus-apples and oranges, eh?

By the way, I am not in London. I am in USA on Pacific Coast, so close enough to Vancouver. I would very much love to be in London for the Olympics, though.

Cheers.
Well, I'm no Londoner, but I'm a Vancouverite! And the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics are just a few months away! I am SO STOKED.

Things I'm excited about:
-Having the world come to my city (although traffic will be pretty brutal, and I don't think the Skytrain will ever be able to handle all the new traffic)
-Perhaps being in the opening ceremonies! (I auditioned, but am not holding my breath)
-Seeing the GOLD medal round of curling!!!
-University will be closed during the Olympic games!

Things I'm worried about:
-Some terrorist attack!
-The weather not cooperating, and it raining the whole time on the mountains. (This is VERY likely too :()
- Vancouver getting a bad rep if some disastrous thing partakes.
- "The Big One" earthquake hits. (Although I'm constantly in fear of that anyways).
-The opening ceremonies sucking. (We aren't going to be as good as China!!)

But overall, it's a very exciting time for us here in Vancouver, and in all of Canada!! You guys across the ocean have a very interesting journey coming your way! And be prepared to see your Olympic 2012 logo on EVERYTHING.
(I'm so sick of seeing that little inukshuk on all my stuff).

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 4:58pm Post subject: London 2012 (Not really Stephen Fry-related, but who knows?)
The rest of the country wishes the event was being held in another country. We won't see any benefit from it and all the extra tax the rest of the country pays to fund it will go, yet again, to subsidising the Glorious South.

I look forward to global warming on the grounds that the rising sea levels will reduce the capital to a series of estuarine islands; the only downside will be swarms of whelk eating refugees infesting the Midlands.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Laur1991

Posted Wed Jul 8th, 2009 12:28am Post subject: London 2012 (Not really Stephen Fry-related, but who knows?)
Hi there,
Sorry-of course, Vancouver comes first. I am just not a fan of winter sports... but I am a fan of Vancouver and British Columbia! I've been to Vancouver a few years ago, and you have a beautiful city!

Has Skytrain been renovated recently? I remember hearing something about that at the time.

Please don't worry about disasters and attacks. Everything will be just fine. As far as rain, I've lived in Seattle, so I hear you about that. I have to say I love rain, but I can see that it would be a nuisance during sports competitions. And no need to compare with China. X-D Nobody would care, plus-apples and oranges, eh?

By the way, I am not in London. I am in USA on Pacific Coast, so close enough to Vancouver. I would very much love to be in London for the Olympics, though.

Cheers.

That's ok. I actually think the summer Olympics are actually a more interesting event, so I'm looking forward to London 2012 as well!

The skytrain hasn't really been renovated too much, but they're added a whole bunch of new stations, and the Canada line will take you directly from the airport to the city. (if they ever finish it).

Maxx, I know what you mean about the extra taxes and such. I think everyone outside of metro Vancouver feels like they're being ripped off. I feel especially bad for the people in the Maritime provinces in the east, because they're paying for an Olympics that's farther away from them than London will be. (seriously, it's 7000km to Vancouver, and only 3300km to London for them )

najabat

Posted Sun Jul 12th, 2009 7:52am Post subject: London 2012 (Not really Stephen Fry-related, but who knows?)
A little off the topic here...

To add my two cents in, as far as taxpayers paying out-of-pocket for big events, which are of no particular relevance/benefit to them-what about Michael Jackson's funeral/memorial costing the City of Los Angeles millions of dollars? I personally thought that this was extraordinary and inappropriate. But it's all over and done with now. I guess Los Angeles will recover.