Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

quantumofire

Posted Thu Nov 26th, 2009 8:40pm Post subject: long nights

Is it me, or there something about these long nights and short days that gets me down. True, life for me isn't exactly distracting at the moment, though I do my best. But there's something about being stuck in a constant dullness, with clouds overhead, and a chill or dank gloom hanging in the air. Some call it SAD (seasonal affected disorder) but I don't know, I just feel shit.

On top of that I went over to these low energy light bulbs (doing my bit for to stop global warming ) but bollocks, they're shit. In very small room perhaps they're okay, but it seems that they make my moods even gloomier. It's been said that many people get headaches from them, and feel a sense of increasing torpidity.

And on top of that, with old Christmasy time x days away and broke, you feel like you out of it, unable to give much, and at the whims of those who treat you like a tragic waif. And at my age!

And on top of that,(I know I've just said that already), it's getting colder and there's not enough pennies for the meter to run the electric. So its triple tee-shirts and double jumpers....and it's not even below zero yet.

But at least they care...not like all those fucking friends I had that just stopped calling the moment i ended up on the dole...only there for the good times. Good job I hid my fucking downers from them or they're be fucking nowhere from the beginning. Perhaps that wouldn't have been a bad thing. I'm seriously considering a career as an axe murder...an alcoholic who'd be just too expensive. Anyway, it's about time I put my chopper to some use again.

Fuck...sometimes life's just shit...and the worse think is....
i've been hear before.

Mind you, I've taken time out to read few good books and dig out some old cassettes and chill out...

Toodle Pip

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

joan

Posted Thu Nov 26th, 2009 11:06pm Post subject: long nights

First of all, get a hot water bottle and a good light bulb - both affordable even on the dole. Keep up the reading, use the public library, and eat properly: this is not expensive - junk food and takeaways are expensive. You can spend hours in the library while they pay for the heating.

Then curl up at home with your favourite music , a good book, and your hot water bottle on your feet, with a cheap stew bubbling on the stove (or solid fuel fire if you have one). If you've got a vacuum flask use it when you make your next tea or coffee, fill it up, then you don't even have to get up for your next ones!!

As for depression - it's a bugger, and miserable weather can make it worse, as can Christmas with all that cheerfulness about. But remember - it will soon be over, Spring will arrive, and at least you'll be in England (I assume) when April is here. I will never see it again, and miss it so. Pick some pussy willows for me. Please.

And save the axe for chopping wood - a nice wood fire is a cheerful thing.

quantumofire

Posted Fri Nov 27th, 2009 12:54am Post subject: long nights

Thank you for your lovely advice Joan.

I do have a multiplicity of hot water bottles that I use; and I do eat as best I can. The thing is, being less active than usual, I try not to overdo, and I never buy takeaways.

Mind you, I do by the odd ready meal but only if it's discounted, since a lot of times I shop at my local Sainbury's in the late evening when they do many a discount on sell/used by's. I also get bread/buns at the same time at 20p a throw and freeze them. I also by dried pulses and make many stews and soups from left overs, and my homemade bread & butter pudding is yummy.

Then there's the great Quality Save with many a bargain. Just today I bought three packets of Duchy Orignal Organic Earl Grey Teabags (50s) for only 89p each. Which should last me many weeks. And I've found a cheap supply of Prince's tinned Steak & Kidney pies (mmmmmmm) Naughty, but nice.

I have a good supply of books, and a large supply of not-listened-to-for-a-long-time LPs and tapes. It's just I can't get back into writing again. I think my last opus magnus just wore me out with nowhere to go with it.

Finally, since I live on the 14th floor of a council flat in Salford, the idea of a wood fire would send the tenants, along with the council, in to a degree of hysteria; and, more likely than not, leave me homeless.

But thank you again Joan, for your concern.

LOL Beastie Baby.

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

marzgirl

Posted Sat Nov 28th, 2009 9:05am Post subject: long nights

I am sorry Beastie. I have done some reading about SAD because my son is bipolar. He seems to be effected by the time changes in the spring and fall. Add to that when he visits his dad he is not on a schedule so when he comes back he is all screwed up. I try really hard to keep his routine at night very structured even on weekends. I think it helps, but not always.

Our heat and hot water is gas and our bill has tripled since the last one. I am cold by nature anyway but I don't dare bump the temp up to what I would like. Cozy socks, layers and blankets. Those are nice until I have to get up to pee or some such nonsense.

I don't have anything to add to Joan's suggestions. Just really wanted you to know I read your post and was thinking about you. See you in the music video room!!

Marz XXXXX

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Sat Nov 28th, 2009 6:54pm Post subject: long nights

You have to be careful, but candles actually give off a surprising amount of heat. You can also buy chemical packs ( in sporting goods stores or hunting outfitters ) to break and that give off heat.

Just as an experiment I spent a month cutting off electric light and using candle light, though not for reading print. By just doing this for a few hours during the night time, I reduced my bill by almost half. If you use electric heating, you can compensate for that part of the bill by doing this too. And, the upside is it is good for the environment too

Really? Wow.

quantumofire

Posted Tue Dec 1st, 2009 10:19pm Post subject: long nights

Thanks for the post Marz, Nitro LOL.

Been off a few days...it's strange how you leave things for a while you find it difficult to get back into the stride. But I guess it's the same with most forums...people come and go...and come and go again.

I get my excited moods and then...I just shut off for a bit. Shrug.

Again LOL from beastie.

marzgirl

Posted Thu Dec 3rd, 2009 9:46pm Post subject: long nights

I just remembered something else I do, because I just did it. After I cook something in the oven I turn the oven off but leave the oven door open to let the extra heat escape. That helps warm things up and it delays the need for my furnace to kick on.

XXXX

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~