Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sat Aug 13th, 2011 5:14am Post subject: Lost in the Wilde

I've tried. I really have. But it's a lost cause.

My batting average is almost nil.

I've managed to get one, and only one, native here interested in watching 'wilde' I don't mean 'looking at while chattering', but actually *watching*.

"Wahld? Who's Osskur Wahld?"

[insert my bumbling explanation]

"Uh Huh...Sowndz weerd. Prolly ain't gunnah happin bo'."

[insert my blank stare]

"How 'bout sum bahrbuh-q?"

[me waving white flag then sullenly driving DVD back home]

Anyone else had a problematic reaction when trying to share this movie?

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Aug 13th, 2011 9:46pm Post subject: Lost in the Wilde

Quite a few of my friends have either seen it, or at least know of it. Could be a generational thing. Or they're messing with you. We love that game.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Sun Aug 14th, 2011 5:00am Post subject: Lost in the Wilde

Seeing as how I'm considerably younger than they are, you may be right.

Also, btw, I'm no stranger to the South. There's nothing comedic about it at all I'm afraid.

I wish it were comedic Tobi, but it's not.

People engage in willful ignorance all the time. Look at Hairy Perry

Or, even better, my trying at all.

Really? Wow.

Ambrosia

Posted Sun Aug 21st, 2011 10:45pm Post subject: Lost in the Wilde

When "Wilde" first came out, I went with two friends to see it. Two of us came out having loved the film and were feeling very moved by it; I couldn't stop crying. But one woman said she sympathised with the Marquess of Queensberry and couldn't stand Stephen as Oscar Wilde. She was the sort of stupid person who always liked to be opposite to everyone else, even if it made her look like an imbecile. Funnily enough, we didn't stay friends.

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Aug 22nd, 2011 5:35am Post subject: Lost in the Wilde

Nitro said:
Seeing as how I'm considerably younger than they are, you may be right.

Very likely.

Nitro said:

Also, btw, I'm no stranger to the South. There's nothing comedic about it at all I'm afraid.

I wish it were comedic Tobi, but it's not.

Now Nitro, you suggested it was comedic with dialect like "How 'bout sum bahrbuh-q".

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Mon Aug 22nd, 2011 6:18am Post subject: Lost in the Wilde

Yeah, but see Tobi...that's a classic case of seizing on ONE sentence out of that entire dialogue piece...the relay of which was humorous yes, but for to make light of the more serious issue here which is simply this...

"There ain't no fags here and we don't watch fag movies about fags."

NOW do you understand?

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Aug 22nd, 2011 8:05am Post subject: Lost in the Wilde

I understood just fine and it's not a classic case of anything other than misinterpretation on your part. All I'm going to say now is it's too bad the important issue is a bit obscured by the attempt to perpetuate a certain stereotype. But no matter now, I'm done here. I've reached my tolerance level with all the snarkiness so if you feel the need to go at it hammer and tongs, Nitro, you know where to find me.

Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Wed Aug 24th, 2011 5:18am Post subject: Lost in the Wilde

I have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about. I thought we were friends. What is it that I've done so wrong to you?

Really? Wow.