Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

unamuna

Posted Wed Oct 13th, 2010 8:19pm Post subject: Lost in translation

Hello, folks.
My apologies in advance for mistakes (english is not my native language, i'm just learning) and, as well, for bothering you with my silly question.
We trying to watch here episode 4 (series 2) of QI and having difficulties with following:
Jeremy Clarkson: lt was exactly like a motorway service station lavatory. (he is talking about dutch brothel)
Alan Davies: But that was a Welcome Break.

What concerns translation, everything is clear, but what is the meaning of the joke?

I've read that Welcome Break is the motorway service company in UK, but still cant get it. Maybe there is something wrong with my sense of humor?

Thank You.

fanceen

Posted Thu Oct 14th, 2010 6:57am Post subject: Lost in translation

Hello! I'm sorry I did not get what you really mean. Just don't be literal in interpreting any phrases or jokes. Sometimes the meaning of it is hidden. Anyway, I am not really knowledgeable about literature or writing. I am a telemarketer looking for some cold calling tips to improve my skills in selling. Whenever you have some ideas please send me.

By the way, I like your attitude being humble.

fanceen

Posted Thu Oct 14th, 2010 6:58am Post subject: Lost in translation

fanceen said:
Hello! Sorry I did not get what you really mean. Just don't be literal in interpreting any phrases or jokes. Sometimes the meaning of it is hidden. Anyway, I am not really knowledgeable about literature or writing. I am a telemarketer looking for some cold calling tips to improve my skills in selling. Whenever you have some ideas please send me.

By the way, I like your attitude being humble.

pebbles

Posted Sat Oct 16th, 2010 5:42pm Post subject: Lost in translation

I *think* he said "I bet that was a welcome break", meaning that the services of the brothel must have been very welcome to Mr Clarkson. It's a pun on the "Welcome Break" motorway service thingies.

unamuna

Posted Mon Oct 18th, 2010 8:10pm Post subject: Lost in translation

pebbles said:
I *think* he said "I bet that was a welcome break", meaning that the services of the brothel must have been very welcome to Mr Clarkson. It's a pun on the "Welcome Break" motorway service thingies.

Thanks a lot, now I finally figured out what's the catch).
I've already started thinking that this joke has nothing to do with "WB" and maybe expression "welcome break" has some hidden sense which i dont know))))))))).
thanks again and greetings from Belarus.

pebbles

Posted Tue Oct 19th, 2010 10:51am Post subject: Lost in translation

Glad to help! They're sometimes quite hard to understand on QI anyway, when they're all shouting at the same time (usually at Stephen ).