Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

xenos23

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 9:55am Post subject: Lost interest...

So, it would seem, has Mr. Fry.

exoskeleton

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 1:16pm Post subject: Lost interest...

I hope it's more a matter of being too busy with other projects to produce a quality episode. his tweets have shown him doing much work traveling as of late.

sockdolager.

rubrick

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 6:05pm Post subject: Lost interest...

I hear you, Xenos23. After a weekly dose of downloads from late May he seems to have gone off to watch a steady stream of cricket and opera and given up on his audience. I see he is also plugging short stories by Oscar Wilde and Saki so I wonder how much he makes for getting us hooked on each series before running off to the bank with his easy takings. This is poor service from someone who claims to be a genius and polymath and one of Britain's foremost entertainers. Given that we punters pushed his series to #1 in Britain I feel robbed of the money I spent on the first three episodes. Somehow Mr. Fry retains his following of devotees who think he can do no wrong, hanging on his every word on Twitter and awaiting his next publication so that they can snap it up and read his 'wisdom'. I'm seeing Mr. Fry for what he really is now. Greedy and money-grabbing and taking advantage of us through his celebrity status.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 7:32pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Oh, dear. I'm gonna regret stepping in this slimey mess rubrick left on the floor, but I fear Stephen has been done a disservice. Firstly I agree with you about Dongle. The delay is unfortunate and interest is, I grant you, waning.

But Stephen has never claimed to be a genius or a polymath. Those are descriptions attributed to him by the general public. Do you really feel robbed when you pay for something and then receive it? Three times over? And if he were really money grubbing, those Dongle episodes would be available like clockwork so he can cash in. God forbid he actually does other things he enjoys! Doesn't he know he works for us? I mean really! Lastly, please don't bother wasting time labeling me as someone who "thinks he can do no wrong, hanging on his every word on Twitter and awaiting his next publication so that they can snap it up and read his wisdom". Because I am. Proudly. Well, except for the Saki stories. Not sure about those.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 8:50pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Stephen has not lost interest in the series, quite the opposite.

We are trying to find time for him to write and record a new Dongle episode but at the moment, his diary is very full. When he's not at meetings etc, (some of you that follow him on Twitter know what his days can be like) he's busy writing major publications, all of which are due within the next six months. Not least of which is the new Oscar Wilde book which he's putting together with the lovely Nicole Stewart (this website's designer) but also his second autobiography.

Both of us get very excited about new projects and of course, as professionals we both want to see them completed. The Dongle of Donald Trefusis will continue. Just in the short term, the actual next release date isn't firm but it is also not that far off.

I have to say, I'm grateful and gratified, as is Stephen, that you think so much of the series. I can tell you how it happened, if you like?

Other than that, you'll be swamped with Fry over the next 6 months in the form of the Last Chance to See BBC series and so on, I hope you'll get enough of him.

Best and thanks so much for your interest in the series!

Andy

P.S. I haven't decoded the second or third episodes. Stephen looks at me (deservedly) like a pathetic mud dweller everytime I bleat some excuse. Bad huh? And I'm in the studio recording them with him! Even worse!

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 8:54pm Post subject: Lost interest...

rubrick said:
I...before running off to the bank with his easy takings. This is poor service from someone who claims to be a genius and polymath and one of Britain's foremost entertainers. Given that we punters pushed his series to #1 in Britain I feel robbed of the money I spent on the first three episodes.

This is incorrect. Stephen does not view money in this way and nor do I. Every pence or cent earned goes back into stephenfry.com or other projects. And right now, the ratio of production of this site, audiobooks, design and everything that makes this operation professional outweighs the money earned.

In the future if we do turn a profit, that profit will go back into this site and other projects for you to enjoy.

And that's the truth.

michael

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 8:54pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Andrew Sampson said:

I have to say, I'm grateful and gratified, as is Stephen, that you think so much of the series. I can tell you how it happened, if you like?

oh please do!

i love them and was wondering how it came about.

have KINDA solved them in bits and seems it would take a lot of time & creativity to make it. (also makes me wanna try making my own )

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

rubrick

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 8:59pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Well, Fryphile. Just watch the trailer above right of this page and you will see several large white-lettered statements about Stephen Fry stating (amongst other things) that he is a polymath and 'king of twitter'. Make of that what you will but that trailer is of his doing and not by someone in the general public.

I don't feel robbed if I pay for something and then then receive it but the assumption was that this would be a continuous series and I do feel robbed that after paying for several episodes (and expecting more) we have had instead a hiatus of several months and the story stagnates. Fine, I agree that he does other things he enjoys. So do I but there has been no indication of when he will return to continue this series (if ever) or how long he intends to do these other things instead of continuing a project he could well have finished by now. The least thing he could have done would be to record them in advance of his other enjoyments and then have someone else publish them to iTunes for him. Also a note to the effect that the episodes would be delayed for a time due to other commitments wouldn't have gone amiss. Judging by some of his tweets these little politenesses can hardly have been a burden to him.

Actually he doesn't work for us. He works for himself and supplies a product for us but on this occasion he is several months behind in his delivery which is pretty disappointing by his standards considering he has a small team looking after this site for him.

Lastly, Stephen Fry is clever, and witty, and talented, and flawed, and absent-minded, and greedy. I do like him when he is both bawdy and bright because that is where his main comic talents lie. I just wish that he would not keep doing something damaging like this to disappoint some us.It makes him seem uninterested and lazy, accusations that can be backed up by simply reading his almost minute by minute updates of his daily life on Twiter. Some people will read these tweets and see him as some sort of infallible demi-god and that is okay with me but I see him as what he is - an entertainer. Entertainers need to be paid for a living through performance and writing, but when they don't deliver then they should be prepared to be criticised for it.

gjhsu

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:13pm Post subject: Lost interest...

rubrick said:
Well, Fryphile. Just watch the trailer above right of this page and you will see several large white-lettered statements about Stephen Fry stating (amongst other things) that he is a polymath and 'king of twitter'. Make of that what you will but that trailer is of his doing and not by someone in the general public.

The "trailer" is a parody of some other action movies and whatnot. And not his words, but those of Sampson and the rest of the production staff. Made facetiously and with tongue securely in cheek.

rubrick

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:14pm Post subject: Lost interest...

I was writing my own reply to Fryphile when Andrew Sampson's replies were posted so the content of my last message may appear to disagree with his.

Thanks for your explanation, Andrew. It was never my intention to make these statements I have made but the truth is that Stephen's absence had driven me to it this evening. I stand corrected by you concerning the attitudes to money earned from this site and I offer my apologies for this misunderstanding. To be honest I do enjoy Stephen's work and am currently into the third of his seven books (at least that's how many I have). TDoDT is an interesting new work by him and I have enjoyed the series so far. Perhaps his absence has made me, at least, a little irritated that a conclusion is not forthcoming.

Pax

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:16pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Well...this is for you forum guys only.

Stephen and I discussed doing a new audio series in January, when he was visiting me in Sydney (where I live sometimes, yes I'm Aussie). He wanted to do something that wasn't just classic, like Saki, Wilde and Chekhov.

We spent a few days discussing absolutely everything we could ever want SamFry to produce but also what we wanted to do with Stephenfry.com and even the Forum. (Yes, it is a subject we discuss frequently).

I proposed a new series based on a range of subjects including a Roman antiquity and sport. My pitch was a bit unoriginal but we went into some depth about it and what we'd record.

There were a few bits of research that I had, so I gave to that to him and he hopped on a plane back to London.

Several days later I flew to London to rejoin with him. As soon as I landed we had a coffee. We usually go over what we have to do, especially if it's new. I'd assembled everything ready within the time I have called pre production so we were good to go with production and then post production (about a week, sometimes two).

Obviously if you're going to a professional recording studio, you need to know exactly what you are going to do in the time you're there or it can cost an absolute fortune/ It also wastes the sound engineer's and editor's time.

Anyway...

He asked "So what are we recording tomorrow?" and I said 'The eclectic series on varied subjects'.

"Oh yes, right, well I have a better idea" *Gulp* from me.

He then told me all about the lovely Donald Trefusis and the series he'd like to put together.

Well that was pretty cool...a treasure hunt adventure of sorts with clues? You couldn't get a better idea for a series for voice starring Stephen Fry. Especially a home grown one!

I asked 'Have you written the first epsiode?'

"No, so you'd better go and I will".

That was 8.30am and by 10am the next day, Episode 1 had been written and we were in the studio ready to record it.

It was the day that London was completely shut down by snow, my birthday, February 3rd but everyone made it to the studio on time, with the sound engineer walking three miles in the snow from his car.

So that's how it came about. As you can tell, it's far superior to my terrible series idea and far more exciting, especially because Donald is a character that you can follow or be involved with. One can hardly say the same of some obscure Roman antiquity that know one has heard about or wants to.

I hope that wasn't too boring?

Best,

Andrew

michael

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:26pm Post subject: Lost interest...

no, not boring! sounds like an awesome job of collaboration, andrew! a creative way to get to talk about all sorts of subjects.

do y'all have anything like "history detectives" in the UK? it's a show where a person writes in with an unusual object or story, and an antiquarian has to find out more about it...what it was for or if the story is true.

instead of just telling you what the result is, it's filmed as if you are following the person from house- to museum- to hall of records- or family member, craftsperson- etc. this feels like that but more like i'm the one who gets to go find out things. i RRRRrrreally like it. Thanks!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:27pm Post subject: Lost interest...

rubrick said:
I was writing my own reply to Fryphile when Andrew Sampson's replies were posted so the content of my last message may appear to disagree with his.

Thanks for your explanation, Andrew. It was never my intention to make these statements I have made but the truth is that Stephen's absence had driven me to it this evening. I stand corrected by you concerning the attitudes to money earned from this site and I offer my apologies for this misunderstanding.

Pax

It's all cool. Hope I have helped explain the situation a little.

Best,

Andrew

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:28pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Never mind others have posted while I was writing. If we had a preview post button I could have deleted this.

Andrew Sampson

Administrator

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:35pm Post subject: Lost interest...

I'm pretty sure previewing is on our list (but let's not bring that up in this thread)

x
Andrew