Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ginj


Member *

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:41pm Post subject: Lost interest...

No, I'm sorry, Andrew. I was only joking, and kind of embarrassed that I was so far behind the curve in thie one.


Back to top

Andrew Sampson


Administrator

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 9:45pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Hehe all cool.

x
Andrew


Back to top

ladyfromhamburg


Member

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 10:36pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Even at the risk of sounding a bit sententious: I think that's a perfect proof showing us the power of communication. To confront, to reason, to clarify, to avoid misunderstandings, to keep informed.... and as icing on the cake some personal impressions and details. Thank you, Andrew.

PS Read your moaning about loosing followers. If people there knew about your strong appearance here, they would all bang at your Twitter door


Back to top

Fryphile


Member *

Posted Fri Aug 14th, 2009 10:53pm Post subject: Lost interest...

*bows to Andrew*

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Back to top

Gertrude Susanne


Member

Posted Sun Aug 16th, 2009 1:27pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Dear Mr Sampson, Thank you very much for sharing with us how the DT series came into existence - most interesting! I am even more intrigued now, but have not had the chance to download any of the three episodes as I rely on a kind family member to do so and he is worried that the account he needs to open with iTunes first may not be free indefinitely, or for the duration of the DT series at least. Could anyone please help to put his mind at ease in that respect? Much appreciated!

BTW, it saddens me to think that there are people out there who feel that their totally voluntary decision to download episodes of this series for which they are charged a tiny amount, and one does know this from the outset, entitles them to make unfounded allegations and coerce busy individuals as those involved in this project into working even harder than they already are.

I have been told that other sites charge for accessing them; thus, the fact that this superb site can be accessed for free and that Stephen´s brainy podcasts are all provided for free should be reason enough for visitors/members to burst into cheers or song, or for the more inhibited ones (or those who cannot sing), bring a happy smile to their faces (rather than take it for granted, as running this site cannot come cheap...). So, a big THANK YOU to everyone who is making this happen


Back to top

Julia from Bristol


Member

Posted Sun Aug 16th, 2009 2:12pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Ditto Gerti!!

I have a cunning plan!

Back to top

cdnguy68


Member

Posted Sun Aug 16th, 2009 5:18pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Andrew: Thanks for your clarification on the future of TDoDT. I won't argue that Stephen is a very busy man, but I think some of the fan-based criticism is born of frustration (and - as always - loses something in the translation when moved to the online paradigm). It's possible that his approachability and accessibility to the fans leads to higher expectations. Ah well...better this than aloofness, right?

I've been hooked since I first came across the trailer for Trefusis and will bide my time until the next episode is released. Hopefully it won't be too long. He's got a sleeper hit there and it would be a shame to lose the fan base it surely deserves.


Back to top

eowyningreen


Member

Posted Sat Aug 22nd, 2009 8:13pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Glad to hear the next episode will be round sometime soon... I haven't lost interest, but do think i'll need to re-listen and go through the solutions again, once the new episode comes out. I'd pretty much solved the first three and was really excited and eagerly anticipating the next episode. Now my interested has obviously dwindled a little - but sure it will fight back with the next release. Thanks for letting us know how it came about Andrew...


Back to top

Midsomerlover


Member

Posted Tue Sep 1st, 2009 12:11pm Post subject: Lost interest...

eowyningreen said:
Glad to hear the next episode will be round sometime soon... I haven't lost interest, but do think i'll need to re-listen and go through the solutions again, once the new episode comes out. I'd pretty much solved the first three and was really excited and eagerly anticipating the next episode. Now my interested has obviously dwindled a little - but sure it will fight back with the next release. Thanks for letting us know how it came about Andrew...

I agree. By this time I forgot most of the details so I will need to listen again too.

Thank you Andrew. I know you aren't supposed to explain anything to us but I'm glad you did. Seems to me that you and Stephen make a great creative team!!


@midsomerlover on Twitter.

Back to top

ginj


Member *

Posted Tue Sep 1st, 2009 1:03pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Love_Kingdom said:

Thank you Andrew. I know you aren't supposed to explain anything to us

Really? That strikes me as quite odd. Why is that?


Back to top

crackers_76


Member

Posted Thu Sep 10th, 2009 7:50am Post subject: Lost interest...

I don't suppose you're able to estimate when there will be a new installment?

Without wanting to nag, the lack of communication about this issue has been disappointing. While I agree that those of us who bought the first three episodes got what we paid for, I must say I would have been considerably less keen to buy and listen had I suspected that the series would not be completed.

I follow Stephen's twitter feed and yours too, Andrew. I know you both keep a frantic pace. The delay itself may be perfectly capable of a reasonable explanation. I'd just like to know what the status of the series is and whether I should go on looking forward to the last nine episodes.


Back to top

SWPatch


Member

Posted Thu Sep 10th, 2009 1:23pm Post subject: Lost interest...

I have to admit I cannot believe what I have read within this section. We must all be ardant fans of SF to even contemplete entertaining the rigors of subscribing and paying attention to this very subscribable section of SF.com, therefore it amazes me that people are so very inpatient to wait for the next installment of DT.

After spending many years working within the broadcasting industry myself ( albeit at a younf age ) I know how much time, effort and also logistic planning have to be implemented to create such a production.

The comments made on the previous page by one member stating that SF is a "money grabber" I would imagine would upset SF greatly. In his own admissions he does not entertain newspapers for the very reason of derogetory commments of this nature.

Personally I have no issues of when the next DT will be ready. SF is incredibly busy and someones as an audience we have to accept a wait whilst the talent ( SF in this case ) produces the material that we so desperately crave.

Some say patience is a virtue, and in this case, and in any SF Case thias has to be accepted. I'm sure the next episode will follow shortly, as and when SF and the guys at SamFry can get to it.

For those who cannot wait, well, maybe you should find something more interesting, engaging, and generally time consuming that just moaning because one of our new media talents is running a little slowler than expected. He's not a bus .. and he will deliever.

SWPatch

Back to top

crackers_76


Member

Posted Thu Sep 10th, 2009 8:35pm Post subject: Lost interest...

SWPatch said:
I have to admit I cannot believe what I have read within this section. We must all be ardant fans of SF to even contemplete entertaining the rigors of subscribing and paying attention to this very subscribable section of SF.com, therefore it amazes me that people are so very inpatient to wait for the next installment of DT.

After spending many years working within the broadcasting industry myself ( albeit at a younf age ) I know how much time, effort and also logistic planning have to be implemented to create such a production.

The comments made on the previous page by one member stating that SF is a "money grabber" I would imagine would upset SF greatly. In his own admissions he does not entertain newspapers for the very reason of derogetory commments of this nature.

Personally I have no issues of when the next DT will be ready. SF is incredibly busy and someones as an audience we have to accept a wait whilst the talent ( SF in this case ) produces the material that we so desperately crave.

Some say patience is a virtue, and in this case, and in any SF Case thias has to be accepted. I'm sure the next episode will follow shortly, as and when SF and the guys at SamFry can get to it.

For those who cannot wait, well, maybe you should find something more interesting, engaging, and generally time consuming that just moaning because one of our new media talents is running a little slowler than expected. He's not a bus .. and he will deliever.

SWPatch, this attitude does you great credit. I would not want anyone to misunderstand the comment that I have made. I am a fan of Stephen Fry and his work. I have been for many years. I do understand the labours which produce each of these episodes. I do appreciate how busy Stephen and Andrew both are.
However, the release schedule when the first episode was sold indicated that new episodes would be available fortnightly. Had I known that this was a project that had not been completed already and was merely waiting to be released to a waiting public, I may have been inclined to wait until it was.
My point is simply that I'd like to know what's going on. I am patient. I know that Stephen is a busy man. I don't feel like having bought three episodes has had the effect of buying me any right to another nine. The people who have been posting here are fans, as you point out. They will probably understand anything they're told about what's going on, why the series has been delayed and when to expect another episode. If they are told.


Back to top

Scarlet Good


Member

Posted Fri Sep 11th, 2009 9:11am Post subject: Lost interest...

As I see it, any angst could have been mitigated with the simple rider, "...an occasional series by Stephen Fry" or by completing the project prior to launch.

The cynic within suggests that Stephen was testing the water with episode one, and subject to it's success planned to follow up with further installments. If this was the reason for launching incomplete or at the very least 'well buffered' then one can hardly criticise him for shrewd use of Fry-time.

If however, DoDT was thrust into the stark light of day while the tape recorder was still spinning (tape conjure a much richer mental image than ProTools!) due to boyish joie de vivre, then one might imagine that Stephen was simply being Stephen, and that someone somewhere should have advised a little patience.


Back to top

robhafernik


Member

Posted Fri Sep 18th, 2009 10:49pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Mr Sampson,

About five weeks ago you said, "the actual next release date isn't firm but it is also not that far off." I'm wondering if that is still the case. As I write this, Mr Fry is in the US filming a television show and unlikely, it seems to me, to be in a position to record another episode at least until his return home.

Any hints?


Back to top