Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

olivercross

Posted Thu Jun 10th, 2010 8:46pm Post subject: Lost interest...

It's a shame but I think if everyone twitters him we may provoke some sort of response as to the status of the next episode.

rubrick

Posted Fri Jun 18th, 2010 11:14pm Post subject: Lost interest...

AnthonySmirnovini said:
Calling the Fantastic Mr. Fry a "money grabber" is despicable and should be punishable by law. Mr. Fry is one of the most selfless people on Earth. If you buy the first three editions of a series and have to wait a couple months to get the next one, you are not getting robbed. If you truly loved the series (I did ), then you should be prepared to wait. Am I right?

I can only assume that the "Fantastic Mr. Fry" would adhere to the quote that he would not necessarily agree with what I said but he would defend my right to write it.

Kipling wrote: "If you can wait and not be tired by waiting", but even the most patient commuter needs to know when (and if) the next bus will arrive. I paid for three episodes of a series that was announced to be longer, and the series has been discontinued indefinetly for obscure reasons, possibly that "Mr. Fry" is too busy. I would like to think that he would pay the courtesy to his fans and bread and butter to at least tell us if he plans to return to the series or if his other projects have now forced him to retire his story early. It would not take much for a daily/hourly/minutely blogger like him.

rubrick

Posted Sat Jun 19th, 2010 12:50pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Andrew Sampson said:
Stephen has not lost interest in the series, quite the opposite.

We are trying to find time for him to write and record a new Dongle episode but at the moment, his diary is very full. When he's not at meetings etc, (some of you that follow him on Twitter know what his days can be like) he's busy writing major publications, all of which are due within the next six months. Not least of which is the new Oscar Wilde book which he's putting together with the lovely Nicole Stewart (this website's designer) but also his second autobiography.

Both of us get very excited about new projects and of course, as professionals we both want to see them completed. The Dongle of Donald Trefusis will continue. Just in the short term, the actual next release date isn't firm but it is also not that far off.

I have to say, I'm grateful and gratified, as is Stephen, that you think so much of the series. I can tell you how it happened, if you like?

Other than that, you'll be swamped with Fry over the next 6 months in the form of the Last Chance to See BBC series and so on, I hope you'll get enough of him.

Best and thanks so much for your interest in the series!

Andy

P.S. I haven't decoded the second or third episodes. Stephen looks at me (deservedly) like a pathetic mud dweller everytime I bleat some excuse. Bad huh? And I'm in the studio recording them with him! Even worse!

Hi Andrew,

You wrote the above in August last year and said that the next installment is 'not that far off'. Ten months on I beg to differ, and from reading other sections of this website I see that Mr. Fry's 'very full' diary is becoming increasingly fuller than the original six months originally quoted.

It is admirable that he is so busy and doig so much for the arts etc. and is so often in the public eye these days, but surely he or you both understand the necessity of completing a project before moving on to the next, no matter how important that might sound? I am happy that he is writing his (second?) autobiograph, but couldn't that have waited until he completed the final nine episodes of DDT? I am not a showbusiness personality like Mr. Fry but I am a professional worker and know that non-completion of my projects will always receive frowns from my supreiors and will eventually get me fired. That's why I complete them.

It is sad that he he has not done more work on this project for over a year. It is absolutely unforgiveable that nothing has been forthcoming about when the series will be continued, let alone completed. Please tell Mr. Fry that we are all busy, some more than he, and being busy should never be used as an excuse for not working.

I used to be quite a fan of Mr. Fry's intelligence, wit and entertainment value. He seems to have set up this website with the intent of supplying a centre for his fanbase (not to mention quite a lot of marketing!), and yet I (and I can only assume many others) are starting to feel alienated by lack of information and promises.

Oliver

Posted Wed Jun 23rd, 2010 8:33am Post subject: Lost interest...

All very well outlining Mr Fry's foibles, but MONEY has changed hands here, & quite a bit of it for each measly episode via iTunes. Put up Mr Fry, as we have paid up. I got to the section of Pt 2 which says come here for pics which are not where he says, & after paying the 2nd amount on faith am beginning to think there's a scam afoot. Pt. 1: a lead in to Pt 2... Pt 2: a recap of Pt 1 & missing bits. What's the deal? & are we supposed to believe that's Trefusis' voice on the recording??

Oliver

Posted Wed Jun 23rd, 2010 8:46am Post subject: Lost interest...

xenos23 said:
So, it would seem, has Mr. Fry.

This, from August 2009. Wish I had read this thread before forking out $$$ on iTunes. Not finishing projects might be termed eccentric at a pinch, but taking money for something left unfinished & faulty has quite another definition legally...

Oliver

Posted Wed Jun 23rd, 2010 9:01am Post subject: Lost interest...

Andrew Sampson said:
This is incorrect. Stephen does not view money in this way and nor do I. Every pence or cent earned goes back into stephenfry.com or other projects. And right now, the ratio of production of this site, audiobooks, design and everything that makes this operation professional outweighs the money earned.

In the future if we do turn a profit, that profit will go back into this site and other projects for you to enjoy.

And that's the truth.

Ah yes this is where management weighs in with the expected response, that the earnings are piddling & get spent on the project. Well get Stephen to sort the logic & semantics of that statement. You'll find an ethical discrepancy which says you should not promise what you don't deliver, that to say the money you took hardly amounts to much is a reprobate attitude as the money has it's exact value to the payee, & to excuse taking money for something incomplete & poorly maintained by saying the amount it ads up to is pittance to you is doubly insulting to us who paid it. It's no favor your doing offering things you won't complete. & you the site manager, you haven't even BOTHERED to fix the picture link in Pt 2. That's how invested & genuine you are Andrew. Good on you mate.

Strangelady

Posted Fri Jun 25th, 2010 4:28pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Oliver said:
All very well outlining Mr Fry's foibles, but MONEY has changed hands here, & quite a bit of it for each measly episode via iTunes. Put up Mr Fry, as we have paid up. I got to the section of Pt 2 which says come here for pics which are not where he says, & after paying the 2nd amount on faith am beginning to think there's a scam afoot. Pt. 1: a lead in to Pt 2... Pt 2: a recap of Pt 1 & missing bits. What's the deal? & are we supposed to believe that's Trefusis' voice on the recording??

Oliver,
I don't think that we are supposed to believe it is Trefusis on the recording...it is a fictional character.

Oliver

Posted Fri Jun 25th, 2010 7:23pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Strangelady said:
Oliver,
I don't think that we are supposed to believe it is Trefusis on the recording...it is a fictional character.

Strangelady, it is not a fictional character at all. It is presented in the promo as S's mentor & friend, no irony evident whatsoever. If T is fictional then the whole exercise is very strangely conceived as I see no evidence of the appropriate literary devices. Not my main point anyway, care to comment on the main point? I'm beginning to think this forum is all out to tea...

Strangelady

Posted Sat Jun 26th, 2010 4:22pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Sorry Oliver, but Donald is a fictional character...

Professor Donald Cornwallis Treadway Trefusis (1921 - 2008) is an eccentric fictional character created by Stephen Fry, initially as an occasional contributor to Ned Sherrin's BBC Radio 4 programme Loose Ends. Trefusis was portrayed as a senior tutor and professor of philology at the University of Cambridge. He is an important character in The Liar (novel), and transcripts of the Loose Ends broadcasts were published as essays in Paperweight. In addition to a propensity for taking very liberal positions on a range of social issues, as when he states his credentials as "a lover of truth, a worshipper of freedom, a celebrant at the altar of language and purity and tolerance,"[1] the greetings and salutations to his broadcasts almost always consist of a non-sequitur (E.g. "Hugely so to you all [...] And if you have been, then it was").

Stephen is using very subtle devices and writing from the perspective that Donald is real.

Anyway, as per your main point... Please refer to the thread I started.

As for your main point,

Oliver

Posted Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 2:08pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Strangelady said:
Sorry Oliver, but Donald is a fictional character...

Professor Donald Cornwallis Treadway Trefusis (1921 - 2008) is an eccentric fictional character created by Stephen Fry, initially as an occasional contributor to Ned Sherrin's BBC Radio 4 programme Loose Ends. Trefusis was portrayed as a senior tutor and professor of philology at the University of Cambridge. He is an important character in The Liar (novel), and transcripts of the Loose Ends broadcasts were published as essays in Paperweight. In addition to a propensity for taking very liberal positions on a range of social issues, as when he states his credentials as "a lover of truth, a worshipper of freedom, a celebrant at the altar of language and purity and tolerance,"[1] the greetings and salutations to his broadcasts almost always consist of a non-sequitur (E.g. "Hugely so to you all [...] And if you have been, then it was").

Stephen is using very subtle devices and writing from the perspective that Donald is real.

Anyway, as per your main point... Please refer to the thread I started.

As for your main point,

Thanks for letting me know this, & taking the time to. The presentation of this pay-per episode on iTunes now looks even more shoddy lacking any such lead in. In fact, what a crock! Let's throw something on iTunes completely misrepresented to the uninitiated, let everyone start buying it, then umm hmm what? Forget all about it & move on. Maybe the funds were blown shoring up the site managers ballsing up of the forum software...

joanna

Posted Wed Aug 18th, 2010 11:31pm Post subject: Lost interest...

do you think we are entitled to our money back?

rubrick

Posted Fri Sep 3rd, 2010 4:43pm Post subject: Lost interest...

joanna said:
do you think we are entitled to our money back?

We could certainly bring it up with the Ombudsman and/or the Advertising Standards Authority. There is enough information listed by the administrators in this forum to suggest that we are being sold a pup that will never come.

As for a refund I can't see that happening. The argument will be that we got what we paid for (three episodes) and, even though we were informed of upcoming episodes which were not forthcoming, all we can do is complain and then see if this bogus site and its creators (not to mention the 'Fantastic Mr. Fry' who just happens to be 'too busy' to finish this project) get reprimanded and fined for their deceit.

Contact the ASA at: http://asa.org.uk/

and the information about the Ombudsman can be attained here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nm/index/your_rights.....udsman.htm

It may be only a few pounds you have spent on these episodes but if thousands of people have downloaded them then that is thousands of pounds of many peoples' money.

michael

Posted Tue Sep 7th, 2010 3:43pm Post subject: Lost interest...

i don't see any violation of your rights unless you prepaid for more installments that weren't recorded. art (and entertainment) is not like other kinds of goods and services...

i've never heard of people getting refunded for a continuing series of novels that never was concluded...i don't put five bucks in a musician's jar and then say "oh, your second song sucked" and take it back.

that's acting kinda tacky...and just because the person who made the art in this case is richer than a busker, that doesn't make it any less tacky.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

rubrick

Posted Wed Sep 8th, 2010 9:48am Post subject: Lost interest...

You misunderstand, Michael. I am not criticising what we have already got but what we have been promised and not yet received after so long. I would never have bought the first three episodes (and I'm sure there are many others who think the same way) had I known that the last seven were not forthcoming.

I never said that I wanted my money back for what I paid for. What I am asserting is that we, as consumers buying in good faith, have been short-changed. A busker's repertoire is not a good comparison to this. If a busker plays one or six songs then they are, in themselves, a performance, like them or not. You pay a busker because you like his style or one song or more. You are not paying him because you expect a concert. That cannot be said of this series, which require, I assume, the last seven episodes to be complete.

Without them we have an unfinished product.

That's not tacky, that's fact.

oojeyboojey

Posted Thu Sep 23rd, 2010 10:21pm Post subject: Lost interest...

Way I see it, you paid for something, you got it. You hoped for more, it didn't come. Shit happens. Fry's busy, he's got other projects. It's sad he didn't manage to finish this project off, but aside from annoying you, I don't think he's done anything wrong. At least there's always the possibility this one'll get finished one day. In the meantime complaining about it probably won't expedite it.