Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

brixe74

Posted Thu Jun 3rd, 2010 5:01pm Post subject: Love it, but it totally missed the Point of Miami

I loved the TV series (I haven't read the book so far) but was very disappointed at how completely Stephen Fry missed the Point of Miami.
Especially after seeing him searching for the black roots of the Southern States I would have expected him to understand Miami better: There is a reason the Latinos (even outside the US) call it "The capital of Latin America"! It shows in the statistics: 60% of the Miami residents are native Spanish speakers and only 15% have English as their first Language. Not mentioning this at all in the series stroke me as badly researched. I would have expected at least a few words about the omnipresent Cuban Immigrants!
I am a German currently living in Nicaragua and I go to Miami now and then because there is a direct flight and I enjoy the Latin flair of the city. Too bad Mr. Fry didn't treat himself to a strong sweet Cafecito and a Cuban pork sandwich over there. I think he would have liked it!

comedybuff

Posted Fri Oct 8th, 2010 12:32am Post subject: Love it, but it totally missed the Point of Miami

He does'nt like florida as it encapsulates everything he loathe's.

Nitro

Posted Fri Nov 26th, 2010 6:48pm Post subject: Love it, but it totally missed the Point of Miami

You mean he doesn't like alligators and mosquitos and cockroaches and no-see-um's and all that swamp life?

I know Florida pretty well. I'd never suggest that Miami is representative of the entire state. It's not.

Really? Wow.